John L. Weatherly

Default New use for 20 Lb propane tanks

Dave wrote:

I see a lot of 20 Lb propane tanks in the trash these days. These have
the old valves and can't be refilled unless a new valve is installed.
I have 3 of them in the garage just waiting to be turned into
something. I PLAN ON FILLING THEM WITH INERT GAS BEFORE I CUT THEM
OPEN. I am looking for ideas on what I can use them for. Here is a
list of what I have so far.

Please post your ideas.

* Body for a small foundry
* Body for a small forge
* Portable air tank for filling automobile tires (with gage installed)
* Tank for a small air compressor powered by a refrigerator compressor
* Small charcoal barbecue grill for tailgating at football games

* To stack other 20lb obselete propane tanks on in my shop...
--
John L. Weatherly
Nashville, TN

Please remove triple X's to reply via email
Gunluvver2

Please post your ideas.

sometime in the past two years HSM had a project showing how to make a potters
wheel for working clay. One of the parts in that project used was a 20# propane
tank cut in half. It was used as a splash guard to keep the operator from
getting splattered clay all over him.
Dennis
John L. Weatherly

Eastburn wrote:

Mark the outsides in paint that they are "Commercial Use Tanks"
And they can be filled again. Just have to have a forge or a furnace...

No kidding?
--
John L. Weatherly
Nashville, TN

Please remove triple X's to reply via email
steamer

--Cut 'em in half and use them for "buckets" on a vertical wind
turbine. Anyone ever seen that one on top of a garage North of Hwy 37
cutoff on 101? That one's made of maybe 20 oil drums split this way. It's
been running for decades by now...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Quando Omni
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Flunkus Moritati

Gunner

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 01:11:23 -0400, "John L. Weatherly"
wrote:

Eastburn wrote:

Mark the outsides in paint that they are "Commercial Use Tanks"
And they can be filled again. Just have to have a forge or a furnace...

No kidding?

Sigh..I tried that with the 6 old style tanks I have here. 3 places
just laughed at me.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Glenn Ashmore

wrote:

Eastburn wrote:

Mark the outsides in paint that they are "Commercial Use Tanks"
And they can be filled again. Just have to have a forge or a furnace...

No kidding?

Sigh..I tried that with the 6 old style tanks I have here. 3 places
just laughed at me.

Go to a state Propane Gas Dealers Association website and print out the
rules.

"All propane cylinders used in industrial truck service, including
forklifts,truck cylinders, and cylinders identified and used for
industrial welding and cutting gases are also exempt from the OPD
requirement. (See NFPA 58 – 2.3.1.5 exception # 1 & 2)"

Can't find California PGDA but here is an example from Oregon:
http://159.121.82.250/Permits/LPG/OPDExemptions.pdf

My furnace draws to much gas for an OPV to handle so I HAVE to use
unrestricted valves. I marked my 40# tanks "Casting Furnace Only- Not
OPV Equipped" and just show them the rules if they object. It takes
once or twice before they get the idea.

Georgia does not enforce the rule so I can get any tank refilled at
hardware stores but to get the better price I go to the distributors and
they stick by the NPGA/NFPA rules.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Rick

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
I see a lot of 20 Lb propane tanks in the trash these days. These have
the old valves and can't be refilled unless a new valve is installed.
I have 3 of them in the garage just waiting to be turned into
something. I PLAN ON FILLING THEM WITH INERT GAS BEFORE I CUT THEM
OPEN. I am looking for ideas on what I can use them for. Here is a
list of what I have so far.

Please post your ideas.

* Body for a small foundry
* Body for a small forge
* Portable air tank for filling automobile tires (with gage installed)
* Tank for a small air compressor powered by a refrigerator compressor
* Small charcoal barbecue grill for tailgating at football games

indestructable water wings...

Ted Edwards

Dave wrote:

I see a lot of 20 Lb propane tanks in the trash these days.

We have waterfront property and anchor our boats in front of the house.
See
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/_2000_retired_files/ANCHOR.TXT

for our anchor setup. The bouys are old 20 pounders.

Ted

Leo Lichtman

Eastburn wrote: Mark the outsides in paint that they are "Commercial Use
Tanks"(clip)
Gunner wrote: Sigh..I tried that with the 6 old style tanks I have here. 3
places just laughed at me.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, you should have done that BEFORE you used them for target practice.

steamer

Vaughn wrote:
: Is that a few miles north of Sausalito?
--Yup, that's the place. The owner recently repainted them a
uniform gray; I think this was to cut down on the number of gawkers that
come up their way...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Quando Omni
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Flunkus Moritati
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Tim Williams

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
This compressor is rated at 200 psi Max (they can go much
higher) so with a pressure relief/regulator I should be OK.

I think that's the typical pressure for propane around room temp. Or
at least on a hot day. Aren't the tanks hydrotested to 300 or 500PSI?
With a regulator & relief you should certainly be fine.

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Alaric B Snell

Dave wrote:

* Body for a small foundry
* Body for a small forge
* Portable air tank for filling automobile tires (with gage installed)
* Tank for a small air compressor powered by a refrigerator compressor
* Small charcoal barbecue grill for tailgating at football games

Hmmm...

Fill them with concrete to make innovative movable barriers to stop
people driving on your lawn?

Cut out the bottoms (inside the ring they sit on) and turn them into
covert safes. Fill them with illegal drugs / firearms / dirty money,
reattach the removed bottom with a locking mechanism, and leave them
amongst a few other empties?

Brew beer. Store beer within?

Fill them with explosive propane/oxygen mixture, take them out away from
the house, and detonate them electrically for pyromaniac kicks. Wear eye
protection and body armour.

Fit them into your vehicle as extra petrol tanks. Maybe fill one with
pure oxygen and hook it up to the carburettor through a valve hooked up
to a button on your dashboard labelled TURBO PURSUIT or somesuch.

Fill them with explosive propane/oxygen mixture and bury them under your
driveway with electrical detonators. Use this to scare off visitors.

ABS

Mike Firth

Where do you get your helium tanks? - a lot heavier than the 20# propane I
have seen.

--
Mike Firth
Free men don't need guns, only people in an oppressive society think they

"nick hull" wrote in message
In article ,
steamer wrote:

--Cut 'em in half and use them for "buckets" on a vertical wind
turbine. Anyone ever seen that one on top of a garage North of Hwy 37
cutoff on 101? That one's made of maybe 20 oil drums split this way.

It's
been running for decades by now...

Too heavy, use discarded helium tanks instead.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Eastburn

I have a friend in Has mat that gets the tanks. They bring a load home
and never run out. With so many people running out of Ca. there are
lots
of tanks that are full to partials. Moving companies refuse tanks on
the
typical case, I got away with it proving they were empty the last time I
moved.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Rex B

|Yea.. I am not too thrilled with the air compressor idea. Even though
|the compressor unit I have is from a portable window unit air
|conditioner. This compressor is rated at 200 psi Max (they can go much
|higher) so with a pressure relief/regulator I should be OK. And then
|there is the problem with removing the oil that is pumped into the
|propane tank by the compressor.

Orient the tank so it drains back into the compressor.

Rex in Fort Worth
Grant Erwin

Here's an idea to make a sandblaster out of a 20# LP tank:

http://www.geocities.com/picketfence...cts/sand1.html

Grant

RellikJM

Propane at 70 degrees F is about 150 PSI.

--
RellikJM
RellikJM AT Yahoo DOT Com

"PAUL" wrote in message
I would not use for air compressor tank, too risky, they were not designed
for these pressures. Has anyone here seen a tank at 100PSI blow up, it

could
easily kill you. Here in Canada they are collected and refurbished with

the
new valve, hydro tested and put back in the market. My company sells the
plastic netting used to protect the outside of the cylinders, go figure.
"Dave" wrote in message
om...
(Dave) wrote in message

. com...
I see a lot of 20 Lb propane tanks in the trash these days. These have
the old valves and can't be refilled unless a new valve is installed.
I have 3 of them in the garage just waiting to be turned into
something. I PLAN ON FILLING THEM WITH INERT GAS BEFORE I CUT THEM
OPEN. I am looking for ideas on what I can use them for. Here is a
list of what I have so far.

Please post your ideas.

* Body for a small foundry
* Body for a small forge
* Portable air tank for filling automobile tires (with gage installed)
* Tank for a small air compressor powered by a refrigerator compressor
* Small charcoal barbecue grill for tailgating at football games

Oooh Oooh I just had an idea. Use them as giant tikki torches. Like
the kind they have on bamboo poles. Take off the valve and fill with
lamp oil insert the biggest baddest cotton wick you can find and set a
couple if them out on the patio to really brighten up your party.
Attach a small cup via a chain that is attached to the tank as a means
to extingish the flame

Ted Edwards

PAUL wrote:

I would not use for air compressor tank, too risky, they were not designed
for these pressures.

What nonsense! I suggest you look up the vapour pressure of propane at
(say) 45C.

Ted

PAUL

Ok my mistake, I admit I am wrong. Sorry guys.

"Sunworshiper" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:06:37 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote:

PAUL wrote:

I would not use for air compressor tank, too risky, they were not

designed
for these pressures.

What nonsense! I suggest you look up the vapour pressure of propane at
(say) 45C.

Ted

Got me , I've known a number of people that use them for airplane
tires and cars and pump them up to 150 psi so you don't have to drag a
compressor out to the tires.

Ted Edwards

PAUL wrote:

Just a word of advise, leave the pressure relief valve on the cylinder, this
will ensure you do not go above factory rating this relief valve will vent
even propane when exceeded. Again, if you have never seen a pressure
cylinder explode you do not want to. Pay the 20-50 bucks and get a real
portable tank.You won't regret it especially when you don't have a hand to
fill that tire!

In your post that precedes this one by 17 minutes, you admit that you
didn't know what you were talking about. Now you are on about it again
with zero knowledge.

Did you take the trouble to look up the vapour pressure of propane? Do
you what the burst test rating for those tanks is? Have you checked the
burst test rating on a commercial air pig?

Do you have a brother in law in the air tank business? Do you just love
to go around spouting nonsense?

Ted

PAUL

Ted take a pill, I am just being cautious here, no reason to be ignorant.
Propane tanks have a pressure relief valve which is designed to relief
before the tank explodes, why not use the tank with this intact or better
yet install one yourself similiar to portable tanks. I have seen a pressure
tank explode, maybe you have not(by the way you talk probably not) so I am
just saying be safe not sorry! I am not trying to be nasty here but a
little caution is advisable. Go ahead spam away!