carl mciver

Default Tool storage hanger ideas sought

I've been running out of room for my tools and needing a way to pack a
lot of tools into a small space and have them still easily at hand. I've
been building a tool storage rack the past few days that consists of a 2x4
frame holding up a few 7/16 strandboard panels attached to heavy duty drawer
slides. Slide the panel out and there's a "wall" full of tools, and you can
use both sides if your layout allows. My panels are about 50" x 24" each
and so far are holding more than I expected, but I've run into an issue when
it comes to holding my selection of pliers and similar shaped items.
I purchased some of the magnetic tool strips from HF, which were a major
disappointment for anything but my putty knives. I did some poking around
on the web in search of ideas, and came across a fellow who uses chest
handles mounted upside down to hold his pliers. These are the handles that
flop down out of the way but lift up 90 degrees when you need to lift the
chest. However, they aren't cheap, and continuing on with that thinking I
looked at a bunch of cheap plastic drawer handles, which so far seem to be
about the right size to do the job, but they don't look so incredibly sturdy
to handle long term abuse. I'm not willing to spend more than a dollar to
hang each tool, and believe me there's plenty of ways to store your tools
out there that are expensive! I was willing to settle for plain steel
handles, but I need to find a source that's a bit cheaper than Home Depot,
and the ones they sold were a bit too wide inside.
So I'm on a quest for simple and inexpensive solutions to store pliers
(and my ratchets if you have a good one!) on a wall that doesn't take up
much horizontal space. I'll use nails if I have to, but the wood is a bit
thin (in retrospect, maybe thicker plywood would have been better!) and I'd
like something that will hold many different sizes and kinds without having
them fall off if I bump the rack into something rolling it around.

RAM^3

For your pliers, check out some of the pegboard hangers - they make them for
this purpose. (I have a few in use...)

While most are for the small perf size, I *think* I've seen them for 1/4".

Either type can be used with a solid board by simply drilling a couple of
parallel holes.

carl mciver

"RAM^3" wrote in message
| For your pliers, check out some of the pegboard hangers - they make them
for
| this purpose. (I have a few in use...)
|
| While most are for the small perf size, I *think* I've seen them for 1/4".
|
| Either type can be used with a solid board by simply drilling a couple of
| parallel holes.

I had even pondered a piece of pegboard mounted on top of the panel, but
there are two issues. One, pegboard and the hangers for it suck. If you
want the clips to stay put, you have to spend even more money on more
expensive ones. This rack is a mobile one and as it is I need to install a
solid "floor" on it to stop the tools from going all the way through!
Secondly, the hangars for pliers don't have a positive way to keep them from
coming off if the rack gets bumped, which so far is becoming an issue for my
small wrenches.

Grant Erwin

I saw an old Popular Mechanics design which was basically a cube. Inside the
bottom of the upper surface of the cube ran a bunch of parallel tracks, on which
hung squares of pegboard. So viewed one way, you'd see the ends of a bunch of
pegboard squares, each slightly smaller than the cube dimension. You could slide
each out on its track, with the nearer track mount coming loose and the rear
track mount staying in. The pegboard square would be slid nearly all the way out
and then slid sideways, where the other track mount would again bear. Each
pegboard was separated by a couple of inches or so, and each had lots of tools
mounted on it.

Tough to describe in words, it's probably in one of my old Shop Notes. I might
see it again someday, but I can't dig it out now. Lots of tool storage in a
small space, though.

Me, I use rollaways and 3x6x18" drawers, lots of 'em, labeled.

GWE

carl mciver wrote:

[...]

Ken Sterling

I've been running out of room for my tools and needing a way to pack a
lot of tools into a small space and have them still easily at hand. I've

snip
So I'm on a quest for simple and inexpensive solutions to store pliers
(and my ratchets if you have a good one!) on a wall that doesn't take up
much horizontal space. I'll use nails if I have to, but the wood is a bit
thin (in retrospect, maybe thicker plywood would have been better!) and I'd
like something that will hold many different sizes and kinds without having
them fall off if I bump the rack into something rolling it around.

Plastic tubing (drop one handle down into the tubing) or garden hose,
etc., etc.
Ken.

drandall

Ken Sterling wrote:
I've been running out of room for my tools and needing a way to pack a
lot of tools into a small space and have them still easily at hand. I've

snip

So I'm on a quest for simple and inexpensive solutions to store pliers
(and my ratchets if you have a good one!) on a wall that doesn't take up
much horizontal space. I'll use nails if I have to, but the wood is a bit
thin (in retrospect, maybe thicker plywood would have been better!) and I'd
like something that will hold many different sizes and kinds without having
them fall off if I bump the rack into something rolling it around.

Plastic tubing (drop one handle down into the tubing) or garden hose,
etc., etc.
Ken.

PVC pipe, various sizes, cheap, easy to cut, drill, can be heated and
flattened a little like for the pliers. Dril through both sides and
enlarge one to drive screw into inside hole. Dale
Rex B

Rare earth magnets.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...48&cat=3,42363

Amazingly strong. Strong enough to raise blood blisters.
Get a cup for each, for easy single-screw mounting and to increase the
strength.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

carl mciver wrote:
[...]

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 22:36:47 -0500, the opaque "RAM^3"
clearly wrote:

For your pliers, check out some of the pegboard hangers - they make them for
this purpose. (I have a few in use...)

While most are for the small perf size, I *think* I've seen them for 1/4".

Either type can be used with a solid board by simply drilling a couple of
parallel holes.

Tool hangers? Try our new, improved ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) handy
pouches! www.diversify.com/handypouches.html
/blatant ad

The more we gripe, * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts
Gunner

clearly wrote:

For your pliers, check out some of the pegboard hangers - they make them for
this purpose. (I have a few in use...)

While most are for the small perf size, I *think* I've seen them for 1/4".

Either type can be used with a solid board by simply drilling a couple of
parallel holes.

Tool hangers? Try our new, improved ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) handy
pouches! www.diversify.com/handypouches.html
/blatant ad

Those are actually rather cool. Only problem I can see is sawdust
gumming up the velcro. Snaps may be a better way to go. Or YKK zipper.

Gunner

The more we gripe, * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability,
accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose
and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee,
imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any
particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or
responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect
to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by
any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it
into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts
that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other
agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within
five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or
by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron
who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece
of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a
bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'
Larry Jaques

clearly wrote:

For your pliers, check out some of the pegboard hangers - they make them for
this purpose. (I have a few in use...)

While most are for the small perf size, I *think* I've seen them for 1/4".

Either type can be used with a solid board by simply drilling a couple of
parallel holes.

Tool hangers? Try our new, improved ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) handy
pouches! www.diversify.com/handypouches.html
/blatant ad

Those are actually rather cool. Only problem I can see is sawdust
gumming up the velcro. Snaps may be a better way to go. Or YKK zipper.

Not a problem.

A brushing and/or quick blast of compressed air frees all dust
(to go gum up something else.) File cards and shop vacs work
pretty well, too.

Zippers have a much worse time in a dirty environment. BTDT.

The more we gripe, * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

RAM^3

"carl mciver" wrote in message
ink.net...
"RAM^3" wrote in message
| For your pliers, check out some of the pegboard hangers - they make them
for
| this purpose. (I have a few in use...)
|
| While most are for the small perf size, I *think* I've seen them for
1/4".

| Either type can be used with a solid board by simply drilling a couple
of
| parallel holes.

I had even pondered a piece of pegboard mounted on top of the panel,
but
there are two issues. One, pegboard and the hangers for it suck. If you
want the clips to stay put, you have to spend even more money on more
expensive ones. This rack is a mobile one and as it is I need to install
solid "floor" on it to stop the tools from going all the way through!
Secondly, the hangars for pliers don't have a positive way to keep them
from
coming off if the rack gets bumped, which so far is becoming an issue for
my
small wrenches.

OK - so why not simply use a screw eye to balance the pliers on [or hook a
box-end wrench on] and staple a strip of Velcro to lock them in place?

If you're doing a number of tools in a row, all you'd really need would be a
good staple gun.

Other "loose" tools can fit in pouches formed from canvas/webbing/plastic
stapled to the backing board.

carl mciver

"RAM^3" wrote in message
SNIP

| OK - so why not simply use a screw eye to balance the pliers on [or hook a
| box-end wrench on] and staple a strip of Velcro to lock them in place?
|
| If you're doing a number of tools in a row, all you'd really need would be
| good staple gun.
|
| Other "loose" tools can fit in pouches formed from canvas/webbing/plastic
| stapled to the backing board.

I just made about 20 PVC pipe tool holders from a piece 1" pipe I had,
and I'll get some bigger and smaller pipe for a couple different sizes soon.
I have a bunch of two or three inch webbing that I plan on using, but that's
reserved for the items that just won't fit anywhere else, and to whip up
those oddball hangers, like one for my drills and such. The panels are made
of 7/16" strandboard, which on afterthought is probably making things harder
than necessary due to its more crumbly nature than regular plywood.
I've used Velcro at work for years as holders for a bunch of things. I
really like it, but for repeated use it doesn't last so long. There's a new
stuff by 3M called DualLock but the backing is a bit stiffer than Velcro,
but I think it would last a lot longer and doesn't suck up fibers because it
has no hooks, just one gender of mushroom shaped stems. My long term issues
with these items are merely the adhesives, that they tend to slowly come
apart and leave a nasty mess behind, and with all sorts of contaminates in
my work environment, things that could dissolve don't interest me. I have
no idea how I'd be able to get it for my personal use, though.

B.B.

In article et,
"carl mciver" wrote:

So I'm on a quest for simple and inexpensive solutions to store pliers
(and my ratchets if you have a good one!) on a wall that doesn't take up
much horizontal space. I'll use nails if I have to, but the wood is a bit
thin (in retrospect, maybe thicker plywood would have been better!) and I'd
like something that will hold many different sizes and kinds without having
them fall off if I bump the rack into something rolling it around.

Go to a thrift store and look for pants and vests with tons of
extraneous pockets. Buy them, cut out the pockets, staple the pockets
to the boards, insert tools.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Gunner

clearly wrote:

For your pliers, check out some of the pegboard hangers - they make them for
this purpose. (I have a few in use...)

While most are for the small perf size, I *think* I've seen them for 1/4".

Either type can be used with a solid board by simply drilling a couple of
parallel holes.

Tool hangers? Try our new, improved ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) handy
pouches! www.diversify.com/handypouches.html
/blatant ad

Those are actually rather cool. Only problem I can see is sawdust
gumming up the velcro. Snaps may be a better way to go. Or YKK zipper.

Not a problem.

I wear an Uncle Mikes ankle holster with an handgun tucked away in
it. It depends on velcro to stay attached to my leg..and when Im
working in sawdust, or similar type of environment...its a stone bitch
to get all the spooge out of the velco so it will attach the next day

A brushing and/or quick blast of compressed air frees all dust
(to go gum up something else.) File cards and shop vacs work
pretty well, too.

Ive tried all those methods, none work well for me. Shrug

Zippers have a much worse time in a dirty environment. BTDT.

The big YKK nylon ones? Those seem to last forever for me with few
issues, unless you pull hard on them or snag em.

Gunner

The more we gripe, * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
the longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:19:09 GMT, the opaque Gunner
clearly wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:59:15 -0700, Larry Jaques

Tool hangers? Try our new, improved ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) handy
pouches! www.diversify.com/handypouches.html
/blatant ad

Those are actually rather cool. Only problem I can see is sawdust
gumming up the velcro. Snaps may be a better way to go. Or YKK zipper.

Not a problem.

I wear an Uncle Mikes ankle holster with an handgun tucked away in
it. It depends on velcro to stay attached to my leg..and when Im
working in sawdust, or similar type of environment...its a stone bitch
to get all the spooge out of the velco so it will attach the next day

So put on a tyvek/cotton/nylon jump suit to keep the spooge offen yer
ankles/holster. You're talking about kneeling/sitting/laying/rolling
around in sawdust under large machine beds, right? BTDT, but without
a piece.

A brushing and/or quick blast of compressed air frees all dust
(to go gum up something else.) File cards and shop vacs work
pretty well, too.

Ive tried all those methods, none work well for me. Shrug

Perhaps I make finer sawdust than you do.

Zippers have a much worse time in a dirty environment. BTDT.

The big YKK nylon ones? Those seem to last forever for me with few
issues, unless you pull hard on them or snag em.

The big YKK nylon jobs are better, but how often do you find them,
especially on smaller items like that ankle holster?

P.S: I'm almost glad I didn't have a chance to stop by your place
last week. It was 105° in Concord and DOWN to 102°F in Redding when I
was heading north for home last Sunday. An extra couple days of
driving in that kind of heat (old truck/no A/C) would have killed me.

--============================================--
---

Gunner

clearly wrote:

[...]

Try it daily with. Cant wear a jump suit...way too hot most of the
time for two layers of clothes. Shrug.

A brushing and/or quick blast of compressed air frees all dust
(to go gum up something else.) File cards and shop vacs work
pretty well, too.

Ive tried all those methods, none work well for me. Shrug

Perhaps I make finer sawdust than you do.

Perhaps. Im going to have to buy another identical holster soon, as
this one is just about worn out.

Zippers have a much worse time in a dirty environment. BTDT.

The big YKK nylon ones? Those seem to last forever for me with few
issues, unless you pull hard on them or snag em.

The big YKK nylon jobs are better, but how often do you find them,
especially on smaller items like that ankle holster?

Hint..you make Stuff..right? G

P.S: I'm almost glad I didn't have a chance to stop by your place
last week. It was 105° in Concord and DOWN to 102°F in Redding when I
was heading north for home last Sunday. An extra couple days of
driving in that kind of heat (old truck/no A/C) would have killed me.

But...its a dry heat. G, up there in Redding etc..the humitiy is a
lot higher. True.

Yall come on down when the weather cools off and you girly men dont
melt. Let you play in the shop, maybe get some range time with
assorted toys.

Chuckle

Gunner

--============================================--
---

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:43:46 GMT, the opaque Gunner
clearly wrote:

Try it daily with. Cant wear a jump suit...way too hot most of the
time for two layers of clothes. Shrug.

Perhaps. Im going to have to buy another identical holster soon, as
this one is just about worn out.

The big YKK nylon jobs are better, but how often do you find them,
especially on smaller items like that ankle holster?

Hint..you make Stuff..right? G

Yup, but I'm not cheap. Whatcha need?

But...its a dry heat. G, up there in Redding etc..the humitiy is a
lot higher. True.

Yeah, I didn't realize it was a swampy area until I stopped to see the
Sundial Bridge a year and a half ago.

Yall come on down when the weather cools off and you girly men dont
melt. Let you play in the shop, maybe get some range time with
assorted toys.

Get a Barrett 50 toy, OK? I really want to play with one.
Wait until I save up some ducats, then find a cheap knuckle boom
truck to buy to bring back all my goodies on, eh?

That's the ticket!

--============================================--
---
Nick Hull

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Try it daily with. Cant wear a jump suit...way too hot most of the
time for two layers of clothes. Shrug.

Try the jumpsuit without the other clothes underneath. Feels strange at
first but you get used to it and much cooler.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Don Foreman

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 03:24:39 GMT, "carl mciver"
wrote:

I did some poking around
on the web in search of ideas, and came across a fellow who uses chest
handles mounted upside down to hold his pliers. These are the handles that
flop down out of the way but lift up 90 degrees when you need to lift the
chest.

Neat idea. How about getting some cheap steel hinges and welding or
brazing wire loops to them that fit the various tools. 69 cents
each.
http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_...t=466&OrderID=

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Storage of hardware - ideas needed please. (possible duplicate) Greg Millen Woodworking 34 April 13th 04 02:20 AM
"homemade" tool steel George Watson Metalworking 39 January 24th 04 12:06 AM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 03:15 AM