How to clean rusty tools ?

Old July 19th 05, 03:39 AM
Will

Default How to clean rusty tools ?

I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket wrench
handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

thanks for any help - Will

Old July 19th 05, 05:25 AM
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Steve Koschmann" wrote in message
electrolysis

Although any of the heat treated tools will be subject to hydrogen
embrittlement, and can break easily afterwards as a result. A roast for an
hour or two at roughly 375 degrees F should minimize, if not eliminate, the
hydrogen.

Harold

Old July 19th 05, 06:02 AM
Grant Erwin

Will wrote:
I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket wrench
handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

Some tools will respond quite well to just oiling them and rubbing them with a
rag. This often suffices for old wrenches and the like.

If a tool isn't galvanized (few are) they may well like the zinc/lye treatment.
To try this, dissolve a cup or so of lye (you can buy it at the supermarket by
the laundry soap) in water, and dissolve as much zinc as it will eat. Many small
castings are made of zinc (pot metal) like lamp bases, auto mirror supports,
stuff like that. Most houses have some broken pot metal bits around. Anyway,
once the zinc is dissolved in the lye, put in your rusty tools. Wear gloves and
eye protection, lye is certain to blind you if it gets in your eye. After a day
or two, remove your tools and rinse them in very hot water, hot enough so they
self-dry within 60 seconds, then oil them. The zinc is higher on the galvanic
scale than iron, so the iron oxide turns into zinc oxide chemically. This works
very well on galvanized bits you want to weld up too, if you don't want to
monkey with extracting zinc fumes.

Beyond that, google on electrolytic derusting. If you have a car battery charger
it's easy.

GWE
Old July 19th 05, 06:11 AM
Gary

I've had good luck on surface rust using WD-40 and Scotchbrite. Spray
and rub. It won't remove deep pits but then nothing else will either.

73 Gary

Old July 19th 05, 06:50 AM
RAM^3

"Will" wrote in
:

I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket
wrench handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

thanks for any help - Will

If you have a pressure washer, you might want to start out with it. [See
the recent thread on this. G]

Before beginning other methods, soak the metal parts in Brake Cleaner -
this will get off a lot of the old grease (if any) and make the OTHER
treatment(s) more effective.

As others have said, Electrolysis is the easy way and there have been
recent threads, here, with full descriptions, formulations, and
instructions.

BTW, don't be too surprised if chrome plating comes off in sheets - once
started, rust can form UNDER it...
Old July 19th 05, 07:09 AM
Mungo Bulge

somebody once told me he used NAVAL Gel on old tools then sold them on
E-Bay. I don't know, but it worked good for me on my father's tools,
which if rusty were my fault.
Shawn
--
The Road Warrior Hobbit
ups.com...

Old July 19th 05, 07:19 AM
athos76

If any are Snap-on, Craftsman or Mac... just trade them in for new
ones.... LIFETIME GUARANTEE

Old July 19th 05, 05:32 PM
[email protected]

There is no one correct answer. I would probably start with a wire
wheel on a bench grinder.

Dan