Roy Jenson

Default cutting sheet metal with circular saw????

Put the plywood blade (actually go for the cheapest one you can
find) in BACKWARDS (teeth point AWAY from the direction of the
rotation). It will friction cut. It gives a ugly burr that must
be knocked down with a file but the cut itself is very smooth.
Wear ear and eye protection, it is noisy and messy.

jim wrote:

i put up some fencing on my back yard.. i use the same sheet metal that
they build the warehouses with... ribbed stuff, steel, i think they
called it aluminized or such.. one section has been up for 15 yrs and i
cant fine one scratch of rust on it.... well it came in 6 ft lengths and
is 28 inches wide.. i will be putting in the back section of sheet metal
now as the old cedar boards on the back fence have given out and i need
to make a gate and cut some of this sheet metal... can i use a plywood
blade to cut sheet metal and expect it to have a finished cut.... i dont
have a shear like the shops do and i know the hand shears will take
forever to cut this 6 feet length....

Augied20

Use a blade made for cutting metal,only about $3.00
jim

jim wrote:

i put up some fencing on my back yard.. i use the same sheet metal that
they build the warehouses with... ribbed stuff, steel, i think they
called it aluminized or such.. one section has been up for 15 yrs and i
cant fine one scratch of rust on it.... well it came in 6 ft lengths and
is 28 inches wide.. i will be putting in the back section of sheet metal
now as the old cedar boards on the back fence have given out and i need
to make a gate and cut some of this sheet metal... can i use a plywood
blade to cut sheet metal and expect it to have a finished cut.... i dont
have a shear like the shops do and i know the hand shears will take
forever to cut this 6 feet length....

thanks for the info.. sounds good to me....
BigJoe

I agree about the metal cutting blade. My metal blade (for the circular saw)
is slotted...no real teeth. I also use it to cut plexiglas on a TS. A sabre
saw with hacksaw teeth blade will work too, as will a hacksaw blade on a
sawzall.
Good luck.
BigJoe

--
Be sure to check out Joe's and Betty's webpages...
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/kb8qlrjoe/index.html

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
any tips on cutting acrylic sheet? Mike UK diy 19 March 3rd 04 08:22 PM
Circular saw not cutting at 90deg [email protected] UK diy 4 February 12th 04 10:28 AM
sheet metal gas engine project clare @ snyder.on .ca Metalworking 10 August 27th 03 01:47 AM
Sheet Metal Richard Ferguson Metalworking 3 August 1st 03 05:19 PM