Jon Danniken

Default Painting angle iron?

I am building a skelton structure out of some angle iron, and I'm wondering
about a decent method for painting it. It will be indoors and doesn't
really *need* a paint job, but I'd like to paint it anyway.

The angle iron has a coating on it from when I purchased it, sort of a
grayish color. While I have wire brushed coatings like this off in the past
for small jobs, there's too much iron for me to fiddle with the brushing
this time; is it generally okay to paint over the stuff that angle iron
comes already coated with, and if so, should I use a primer first?

I'm also looking for a recommendation on a "decent but cheap" spray paint;
I'm not looking for an automobile finish, but want something a little better
than $0.88 Walmart rattlecan; ideally something good that's two or three
bucks a can.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jon

Tim Shoppa

"decent but cheap" spray paint

I've used Rustoleum industrial enamel spray paint with good results
recently. It's like $5 a can. Only a very limited color selection.

Auto paint stores can put really good paints into spray cans with
custom color mixes if that's what you need.

I'm not sure what sort of structure you've built out of the angle iron,
but I've always found it easier for structures to brush on a good
enamel than to spray and miss, especially if there's an "inside" to the
structure that must be painted too. For something that's made out of
angle you don't really notice the brush marks that run the long way.
For a big flat area spray paint lets you avoid the brush marks.

Tim.

LP

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:32:18 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

[...]

Home Depot here carries Rustoleum "Painters Choice" in spray cans for
about $2.80 per each. Not a lot of color choices but I can usually
find somethng that will work. It's dry to handle in about an hour and
very hard after twenty-four. It's great for inside applications such
as yours, don't know about outside.
Richard W.

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
[...]

I use engine paint. It's high temp stuff that seems to hold up really well.
I haven't tested my kids finger nail polish remover though.

Gunner

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:55:47 -0700, "Richard W."
wrote:

[...]

Check your local .99cent stores. Many of them carry name brand paints.
I purchased about 4 cases of Rustolem rattle cans for less than a buck
each over the last couple years for spraypainting machinery and
weldments.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

lionslair at consolidated dot net

wrote:

[...]

Another good source is the auto supply house. Auto paint. Can get primers ....
and candy apple.. :-)

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Painting iron railing.. Grendel Home Repair 8 June 3rd 05 03:37 AM
Painting cast iron tub mo Home Repair 1 April 8th 05 11:50 PM
Camp Painting help Needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 14 February 19th 05 10:17 PM
Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 04:50 PM
Cleaning outside of Cast Iron bath for Painting Rob Graham UK diy 4 July 21st 03 08:56 AM