jon_banquer

Default I Wish This Book Had Been Available...

when I started in the trade in 1993. The book is in a class by itself
and the author deserves tremendous credit for using the approach he
does.

IMO, this book should be purchased by *anyone* starting in the
machining trade, by those who have not worked in *lots of small
machining job shops*, etc. This book should be required reading to all
those taking a trade school course in machining... vocational tech
teachers do your students a favor and get this book in your students
hands... it may very well be the best thing you ever do for them
because it will equip your students for the real world in ways that you
simply can't ! It's also good reading for those who make pretty
pictures using a CAD system and who have come to realize that making a
machinist happy might be a good idea and have some benefits. This book
very well could save you some embarrassment by showing you have a clue
and it might even help get you higher quality parts quicker.

I do have some criticisms in that the chapter entitled Rotary Table
Magic is too brief and is really just an introduction for an absolute
beginner. Also, the approach to using a dowel pin as a CNC milling
machine floating stop (something the author admits he has never done)
can be done better by machining at tool rather than using a dowel pin
which has drawbacks compared to the approach I / our shop uses.

The focus on this book is manual machining but much can be applied to
CNC.

The book is:

Machine Shop Trade Secrets by James A. Harvey.

http://www.proshoppublishing.com/index.html

Mr. Harvey is a no bull**** kind of guy who doesn't tolerate people who
have no practical actual hands on machining experience and post to
alt.machines.cnc, etc. all day and all night.

Mr. Harvey is exactly the kind of machinist I have learned so much from
over the years.

(See Google for the first posts in regards to this book.)

This book should be the blueprint for anyone with lots or practical
machining experience and who is thinking of writing a book for other
machinists. It's writing style sets the standard to which I believe one
should adhere

Unfortunately, I choose Borders Book to order this book and after
getting jerked around for a long time I canceled the order and placed
an order with Barnes and Noble and it arrived last Friday. I'm sorry I
did not cancel the order earlier as I wish I could have reviewed this
book earlier.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this book to someone with many years
of varied small job shop experience unless they feel the books $40
dollar price would be justified by picking up say 8 tips . Mr Harvey's
book is a collection of well documented tips. (Lots of pictures of
setups.)I happen to feel that that $40 is well worth it.... you may
not.

My hats off to Mr. Harvey and hope his book continues to get the
success it so richly deserves. I would love to see him write another
one that does a much better job of covering use of the rotary table and
perhaps publish tips and give credit to others for CNC related tips.

Very highly recommended.

jon

Siggy

Don't know if the original post is a sales pitch in disguise or if it is
genuine but I will jump in and second Jon's statements about this being an
excellent book.

I'm not a pro so my perspective may be a bit different than a trained
machinist, but I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking to
improve their skills and be more effective in the shop.

BTW - Amazon.com has the book for only $26 and change instead of the $39
price most everywhere else.

Robert

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

jon_banquer

Siggy wrote:
Don't know if the original post is a sales pitch in disguise or if it is
genuine but I will jump in and second Jon's statements about this being an
excellent book.

I'm not a pro so my perspective may be a bit different than a trained
machinist, but I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking to
improve their skills and be more effective in the shop.

BTW - Amazon.com has the book for only $26 and change instead of the $39
price most everywhere else.

Robert

Robert,

I do think the original post was a sales pitch and was done
anonymously... you learn to deal with that on usenet.

Bottom line is that it's an excellent book. Mr. Harvey's book would
have been a tremendous help to me when I got into the trade and I wish
it have been available back then.

Even now there are some tips that I can't wait to try and that I know
will be very helpful.

It's quite clear to me that Mr. Harvey knows his **** when it comes to
machining and has done machinists and others who care a big favor
publishing some of what he has learned over the years. I wish other
machinists would follow his example and document their art. I also hope
this is just the beginning for Mr. Harvey and he has more to offer.

Glad you liked the book.

jon

Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:31:23 -0700, the renowned Grant Erwin
wrote:

If I'm not mistaken Mr. Harvey used to post quite frequently to rcm, so this is
in a sense "one of our own". - GWE

The name is right, but it sounds like a different James Harvey. The
book's author is a full-time machinist/injection moldmaker, and IIRC,
"our" Jim Harvey had more to do with racing and fuel injection.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

jon_banquer

Grant Erwin wrote:
If I'm not mistaken Mr. Harvey used to post quite frequently to rcm, so this is
in a sense "one of our own". - GWE

Grant,

I have worked in small machining job shops since 1993. After reading
Mr. Havery's book if he had never posted I would consider him "one of
our own".

IMO, Mr. Harvey has posted... anonymously.

If were looking to help others I feel Mr. Harvey's book needs to be
mentioned on a more frequent basis as it's the only one I know of that
correlates to exactly what I know to be FACT after over 10 years
working for small machining job shops.

Almost nothing posted by the top poster to alt.machines.cnc and to
comp.cad.solidworks relates to working in small machining job shops and
what little does is often wrong / easily available elsewhere in better
form.

jon

Cliff

On 17 Jul 2005 20:02:21 -0700, "jon_banquer"
wrote:

when I started in the trade in 1993.

Advertising buzzword collection?
Quite a bit like collecting rubbish I gather.

The book is in a class by itself

Not any you ever took/talked about taking for a day or
two before being evicted .....
--
Cliff
Cliff

wrote:

Machine Shop Trade Secrets by James A. Harvey.

LO L .... found a new hobby to consider?
Liked all the hobbiest links ....
http://www.proshoppublishing.com/Links.htm

Are you new to the hobby?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On 17 Jul 2005 20:41:41 -0700, "jon_banquer"
wrote:

Bottom line is that it's an excellent book. Mr. Harvey's book would
have been a tremendous help to me when I got into the trade

Half a brain would have helped too.
Or some pictures of triangles ....
--
Cliff
Cliff

On 17 Jul 2005 21:09:37 -0700, "jon_banquer"
wrote:

what little does is often wrong

Too bad you cannot find any of it G.
--
Cliff

Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter

Nope, Different Jim Harvey, I asked him.
It is an excellent book.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:31:23 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

If I'm not mistaken Mr. Harvey used to post quite frequently to rcm, so this is
in a sense "one of our own". - GWE

Bill

Here is Kalifornia, the publisher would do well to do a spanish
version. Most if not all of our new machinists don't have a good grasp
of the english language yet but are willing learners.

--
Bill

jon_banquer wrote:

IMO, this book should be purchased by *anyone* starting in the
machining trade, by those who have not worked in *lots of small
machining job shops*, etc. This book should be required reading to all
those taking a trade school course in machining...

Cliff

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:55:22 +0000 (UTC), jon banquer
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in
ups.com:

jon_banquer wrote:

IMO, this book should be purchased by *anyone* starting in the
machining trade, by those who have not worked in *lots of small
machining job shops*, etc. This book should be required reading to
all those taking a trade school course in machining...

Bill,

Agree.

jon

Idiot.
--
Cliff
Cliff

jon_banquer wrote:

IMO, this book should be purchased by *anyone* starting in the
machining trade, by those who have not worked in *lots of small
machining job shops*, etc. This book should be required reading to all
those taking a trade school course in machining...

Bill,

Agree.

jon

Idiot.
Learn to post.
--
Cliff
Cliff

jon_banquer wrote:

IMO, this book should be purchased by *anyone* starting in the
machining trade, by those who have not worked in *lots of small
machining job shops*, etc. This book should be required reading to all
those taking a trade school course in machining...

Bill,

Agree.

jon

Idiot.
Learn to post. At least try.
--
Cliff
Gunner

On 19 Jul 2005 08:56:05 -0700, "Bill" wrote:

Here is Kalifornia, the publisher would do well to do a spanish
version. Most if not all of our new machinists don't have a good grasp
of the english language yet but are willing learners.

Very very true. I work with a lot of startup shops where the owners
primary language is not English.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Cliff

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:14:01 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

I work with a lot of startup shops where the owners
primary language is not English.

Wingers, eh?
--
Cliff

JohnM

wrote:

I work with a lot of startup shops where the owners
primary language is not English.

Wingers, eh?

Looks like cliffy's PMS is setting in again..
jon_banquer

Bill wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

IMO, this book should be purchased by *anyone* starting in the
machining trade, by those who have not worked in *lots of small
machining job shops*, etc. This book should be required reading to all
those taking a trade school course in machining...

Bill wrote:
Here is California, the publisher would do well to do a spanish
version. Most if not all of our new machinists don't have a good grasp
of the english language yet but are willing learners.

--
Bill

Oops. I reformatted it properly... and dropped the crossposts.

Also, I was quite serious about the spanish version. It would help.

--
Bill

I put the crossposts back in.

Goggle's formating is not my problem.

I know you were serious.

I agree that it's a very good idea.

jon

jon_banquer

RAM^3 wrote:
"JohnM" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

I work with a lot of startup shops where the owners
primary language is not English.

Wingers, eh?

Looks like cliffy's PMS is setting in again..

Naaahhh!

Just another "Acid Flashback".

Doubtful. Too uptight.

jon

Cliff

On 20 Jul 2005 20:10:27 -0700, "jon_banquer"
wrote:

[
whois !NET-63-164-145-0-1

OrgName: Kinkos, Inc.
]

Yep. He's Still at Kinkos VBG.

Goggle's formating is not my problem.

It's your misuse, idiot.
--
Cliff
Steve Mackay

wrote:

I work with a lot of startup shops where the owners
primary language is not English.

Wingers, eh?

Looks like cliffy's PMS is setting in again..

Again? I didn't think it every left!