Utility trailer sides

Old July 7th 05, 04:20 AM
Michael Shaffer

Default Utility trailer sides

I'm trying to add sides to my trailer but it doesn't have the metal
brackets to put the 2x4's in. I want to make some and weld them on but I
don't know where to get the metal. I don't want to have to buy a whole
sheet, I just need a 3" wide strip I can cut, bend and weld. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old July 7th 05, 04:39 AM
RoyJ

For one trailer, just buy the the darn things ready made:
www.noertherntool.com Item# 125504

Old July 7th 05, 07:10 AM
carl mciver

"RoyJ" wrote in message
ink.net...
| For one trailer, just buy the the darn things ready made:
| www.noertherntool.com Item# 125504
|
| Michael Shaffer wrote:
|
| I'm trying to add sides to my trailer but it doesn't have the metal
| brackets to put the 2x4's in. I want to make some and weld them on but I
| don't know where to get the metal. I don't want to have to buy a whole
| sheet, I just need a 3" wide strip I can cut, bend and weld. Any ideas?
|
| Thanks

Saw some at Home Depot this evening. In with the big hinges and such
hardware for big doors. Go figure. Probably didn't know where else to put
them.

Old July 7th 05, 08:34 AM
PrecisionMachinisT

"RoyJ" wrote in message
ink.net...
For one trailer, just buy the the darn things ready made:
www.noertherntool.com Item# 125504

It's www.northerntool.com you misspelled it above.

And here's a direct link to the item :

http://tinyurl.com/9k9t9

--

SVL

Old July 7th 05, 12:45 PM
Michael Shaffer

Michael Shaffer wrote:

I'm trying to add sides to my trailer but it doesn't have the metal
brackets to put the 2x4's in. I want to make some and weld them on but
I don't know where to get the metal. I don't want to have to buy a
whole sheet, I just need a 3" wide strip I can cut, bend and weld. Any
ideas?

Thanks

I can't do that because the Home Depot ones are too short. I'm using it
to haul bamboo which is like 20' long..
Old July 7th 05, 03:48 PM
RoyJ

Any reasonable steel supply place should have 1/8"x3" bar stock in 10'
lengths. But if one is too short, how about using 2, one above the
other. Or cut them in half the long way. still beats cutting, bending,
and welding bar stock

Old July 7th 05, 05:43 PM
Wild Bill

Rectangular tubing (4 sides) or channel (3 sides) can be cut to any length,
then welded onto the trailer frame.
You may need to resize your upright lumber slightly (sander/grinder), but
it's still much less effort than trying to bend heavy gage steel into
uniformly-sized brackets.

WB

Old July 8th 05, 07:31 AM
Gunner

Michael Shaffer wrote:

I'm trying to add sides to my trailer but it doesn't have the metal
brackets to put the 2x4's in. I want to make some and weld them on but
I don't know where to get the metal. I don't want to have to buy a
whole sheet, I just need a 3" wide strip I can cut, bend and weld. Any
ideas?

Thanks

I can't do that because the Home Depot ones are too short. I'm using it
to haul bamboo which is like 20' long..

I think you would be better served in purchasing some 2x4 rectangular
tubing and simply cutting off proper lenghts.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Trailer Brakes desperado Metalworking 2 January 31st 05 08:26 PM
Rust Removal- Rust covering? Tilt Trailer mechanisms Gunner Metalworking 22 September 14th 04 08:55 PM
gate latches for utility trailer? mark Metalworking 6 May 24th 04 08:48 AM
The IDEAL Machinery Moving Trailer? dhost Metalworking 0 February 12th 04 12:02 AM
OT - Unbraked trailer safety requirements *Secondary Couplings* Richard Savage UK diy 0 July 19th 03 03:12 PM