RoyJ

Default painting aluminum boats?

Don't bother.

Ignoramus12555 wrote:
I have a 12 foot aluminum boat and am wondering if it is worthwhile to
paint it where the paint was abraded. If so, what paint would you use.

Appearance is of zero importance to me. This boat will be used for
entertaining a 4 year old, not for babe chasing etc.

Ken Davey

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:54:22 GMT, Ignoramus12555
wrote:

I have a 12 foot aluminum boat and am wondering if it is worthwhile to
paint it where the paint was abraded. If so, what paint would you use.

Appearance is of zero importance to me. This boat will be used for
entertaining a 4 year old, not for babe chasing etc.

Don't bother.
Much hassle, special primer and paint and it will fall off anyway if
the planets are not correctly aligned. (g)

Regards.
Ken.
Don Foreman

wrote:

I have a 12 foot aluminum boat and am wondering if it is worthwhile to
paint it where the paint was abraded. If so, what paint would you use.

Appearance is of zero importance to me. This boat will be used for
entertaining a 4 year old, not for babe chasing etc.

Alumacraft uses an acrylic enamel like Delstar.

If appearance doesn't matter, skip it! Without proper prep,
paint won't stick to aluminum anyway.
Wild Bill

Strip hull, set up an X-Y or circular guide frame to support your polisher,
apply an attractive engine-turned (fish scales) or guilloché pattern with
polishing pads and then anodize clear or color of your choice.

http://www.rgmwatches.com/engine.html

WB

"Ignoramus12555" wrote in message
I have a 12 foot aluminum boat and am wondering if it is worthwhile to
paint it where the paint was abraded. If so, what paint would you use.

Appearance is of zero importance to me. This boat will be used for
entertaining a 4 year old, not for babe chasing etc.

Waynemak

I have a 1967 starcraft that we painted about 8 years ago. We used a
aluminum primer, then auto primer, then white auto paint. It was in the
water for 4 summers and towed to the water for 4 years. The paint still
looks very good. It did pimple a small amount where the paint is under
water, but it hasn't come off. The boat would sit in the water for 4 to 5
months and the paint is still on, it is stained at the water line but not to
bad.

But looking at the size of the boat you have it would be more work than
worth. We have a 140 HP on our boat and ski with it every weekend.
"Ignoramus12555" wrote in message
I have a 12 foot aluminum boat and am wondering if it is worthwhile to
paint it where the paint was abraded. If so, what paint would you use.

Appearance is of zero importance to me. This boat will be used for
entertaining a 4 year old, not for babe chasing etc.

Dave

Wild Bill wrote:

Strip hull, set up an X-Y or circular guide frame to support your polisher,
apply an attractive engine-turned (fish scales) or guilloché pattern with
polishing pads and then anodize clear or color of your choice.

http://www.rgmwatches.com/engine.html

WB

Spray adhesive, then get your fishin buddy to help you fling glitter.

By golly, my granddaughter would *Love* that!

Granpaaaw, will the fish eat our boat?

~D