Don Foreman

Default repairing a broken aluminum casting

I adapted a technique used by guys that repair boat propellors with TIG to
repair a broken casting.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforema..._mount_repair/

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
et...
I adapted a technique used by guys that repair boat propellors with TIG to
repair a broken casting.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforema..._mount_repair/

Nice repair, Don.

Harold

Ken Sterling

I adapted a technique used by guys that repair boat propellors with TIG to
repair a broken casting.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforema..._mount_repair/

Good job, Don. Sure beats duct tape and JBWeld G. Must be nice to
have a TIG....
Ken.

Roy

Thats usually how a prop is built up just keep laying down a bead on a
bead till its got sufficient material to reshape.

Must be somnething about all these fishermen out there. I have a good
friend who just bought a big bucks bass boat and top of the line
trolling motor setup, and he too came to me with a broken mount and
those words that it broke but he was not saying much at all how it
broke.......especialy since it was only in the water an hour or too
tops when it decided to break.....I wonder if those manufacturers are
using a water soluable alloy that causes these defects? ;-)

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:12:56 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

===
==="Don Foreman" wrote in message
ouse.net...
=== I adapted a technique used by guys that repair boat propellors with TIG to
=== repair a broken casting.
===
=== http://users.goldengate.net/~dforema..._mount_repair/
===
===
===
===
===Nice repair, Don.
===
===Harold
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Bernd

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
et...
I adapted a technique used by guys that repair boat propellors with TIG
repair a broken casting.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforema..._mount_repair/

Nice job Don. I just repaired the lower section of a '64 Evinrude
outboard. I think they call it the stabilizer fin. It's that part just
above the prop. The front round part was broke and so was one of the
sides. I added new pieces, but I used a mig welder with an aluminum
spool. After adding a few weld beads I dressed the weld with a grinder.
Took a bit to weld to the thin cast aluminum. I figured if I screwed it
up I wouldn't loose anything. Wish I'd taken pictures of the before and
the after.

Bob Engelhardt

Nice job! One more reason that I just have to have a TIG :-) Could
this be done with OA or MIG? Bob
JohnM

Don Foreman wrote:
I adapted a technique used by guys that repair boat propellors with TIG to
repair a broken casting.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforema..._mount_repair/

Nicely done, I'll remember that technique.

John
Don Foreman

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:35:09 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Nice job! One more reason that I just have to have a TIG :-) Could
this be done with OA or MIG? Bob

I would think it could be done with O/A, though it'd take a while.
It might require periodic cleanup of spent flux to avoid inclusions.

It would seem to be an obvious candidate for MIG, but prop weldors
seem to prefer TIG. The only reason I can think of is better
control of puddle and rate of deposition, so perhaps less cleanup with
the grinder.

Roy?

Ted Edwards

Don Foreman wrote:
I would think it could be done with O/A, though it'd take a while.
It might require periodic cleanup of spent flux to avoid inclusions.

Replace "might" with "would". I did a build up on a broken Al part
years ago before I had TIG. Took damn near forever. Putting down
another bead without power wire brushing the spent flux off was a no-go.

I also think, mind you I'm not a pro, that you really want the
independent control of heat and fill that you get from TIG. I had
quiite a talk once with a prop rebuilder and he said that MIG doesn't
cut it.

It would seem to be an obvious candidate for MIG, but prop weldors
seem to prefer TIG. The only reason I can think of is better
control of puddle and rate of deposition, so perhaps less cleanup with
the grinder.

That was one very nice fix, Don. Would a slight taper on the former pin
have made extraction easier?

Ted
Don Foreman

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:49:59 GMT, Ted Edwards
wrote:

Would a slight taper on the former pin
have made extraction easier?

Ted