Default Building a frame for cataraft

Hello,

A friend and I are interested in building a few frames for a cataraft
pontoon boats.

The material is 6063 -T52 1" aluminum pipe with .133 wall. Bending has
been no problem since the minimum radius is about 9 inches.

My questions are about welding.

1) Would brazing be sufficient for this? It is appealing to take a
rod and a propane torch along on a raft trip for repairs.

2) If brazing is not OK, what is the least expensive type of welding
that I can do? I don't have $1000 to buy a welder.

Thanks very much for any info you can provide.

Nick Müller

1) Would brazing be sufficient for this? It is appealing to take a
rod and a propane torch along on a raft trip for repairs.

This is kind of self fullfilling: If you braze it, you need to take some
means to repair with you. So it's only "appealing" that you can fix the
unappealing idea.

Buy a TIG. Learn to weld.

Nick

--
Motormodelle / Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

mclorson

No need to weld the joints. Use universal fittings from a rafting
supply company:
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1053
The fittings will be cheaper than buying welding gear. If you can bend
the pipe, you'll have no problem fitting it all together. Good luck.
-Mike