SteveB

Default For the electronical nerds .............

My two dogs go to my back gate, and just raise a fuss when a dog walks by on
the outside of the gate. They cannot see through the gate, except for a
couple of small spaces.

I want to set up a horn with an electric eye, so that when they go close to
the gate, it will sound. This will only come on if they go really close to
the gate, so it won't get them if they just stand back and bark.

My Lab got a cut by her eye, and I am sure that it is from where the small
spaces are, and she was trying to stick her head through.

Can you steer me to what I need? Would I just go to Radio Shack and talk to
the nerds there? How much do you think this will cost?

Steve

RoyJ

Radio Shack used to stock a lot of good stuff, lately.............

I took a quick look at RS found P/N #: 49-312 which is exactly what you
want for $75: IR beam, built in buzzer, contacts for external horn or
whatever. Sounds pretty spendy but should be an easy way out.

SteveB wrote:
My two dogs go to my back gate, and just raise a fuss when a dog walks by on
the outside of the gate. They cannot see through the gate, except for a
couple of small spaces.

I want to set up a horn with an electric eye, so that when they go close to
the gate, it will sound. This will only come on if they go really close to
the gate, so it won't get them if they just stand back and bark.

My Lab got a cut by her eye, and I am sure that it is from where the small
spaces are, and she was trying to stick her head through.

Can you steer me to what I need? Would I just go to Radio Shack and talk to
the nerds there? How much do you think this will cost?

Steve

carl mciver

"SteveB" wrote in message
| My two dogs go to my back gate, and just raise a fuss when a dog walks by
on
| the outside of the gate. They cannot see through the gate, except for a
| couple of small spaces.
|
| I want to set up a horn with an electric eye, so that when they go close
| the gate, it will sound. This will only come on if they go really close
| the gate, so it won't get them if they just stand back and bark.
|
| My Lab got a cut by her eye, and I am sure that it is from where the small
| spaces are, and she was trying to stick her head through.
|
| Can you steer me to what I need? Would I just go to Radio Shack and talk
| the nerds there? How much do you think this will cost?
|
| Steve

A simple motion sensor will give you a larger field of view (adjustable
via the lens) than a narrow fielded eye, and you can connect it, likely via
relay, to any siren/repeller/etc you want.

Mike Fields

"carl mciver" wrote in message
nk.net...
"SteveB" wrote in message
| My two dogs go to my back gate, and just raise a fuss when a dog walks

by
on
| the outside of the gate. They cannot see through the gate, except for a
| couple of small spaces.
|
| I want to set up a horn with an electric eye, so that when they go close
| the gate, it will sound. This will only come on if they go really close
| the gate, so it won't get them if they just stand back and bark.
|
| My Lab got a cut by her eye, and I am sure that it is from where the

small
| spaces are, and she was trying to stick her head through.
|
| Can you steer me to what I need? Would I just go to Radio Shack and

talk
| the nerds there? How much do you think this will cost?
|
| Steve

A simple motion sensor will give you a larger field of view

(adjustable
via the lens) than a narrow fielded eye, and you can connect it, likely

via
relay, to any siren/repeller/etc you want.

Be aware that your typical PIR (Passive IR) motion sensor is almost blind
during the day when it is bright out - especially if the air /ground temp is
anywhere near the body temp of the animal (been down this path). You
could run an IR beam across although it is probably not worth the time -
they will simple change their habbits slightly (or ignore the horn -- or
even
worse, start howling with the silly thing !!)

mikey

Don Foreman

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 15:41:34 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

My two dogs go to my back gate, and just raise a fuss when a dog walks by on
the outside of the gate. They cannot see through the gate, except for a
couple of small spaces.

I want to set up a horn with an electric eye, so that when they go close to
the gate, it will sound. This will only come on if they go really close to
the gate, so it won't get them if they just stand back and bark.

My Lab got a cut by her eye, and I am sure that it is from where the small
spaces are, and she was trying to stick her head through.

Can you steer me to what I need? Would I just go to Radio Shack and talk to
the nerds there? How much do you think this will cost?

Most garage door openers have a photoelectric beam sensor. You might
be able to buy just the sensor and light source from Sears as a repair
part.