Jon Elson

Default standard internal taper with D1-6 ?

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a standard internal taper used with
the D1-6 spindle mount? I have a Sheldon R-15 lathe, and haven't
been able to figure out what the internal taper is, so that I can get
a dead center.

Thanks for any comments,

Jon

Jerry Wass

The standard taper on the INSIDE of most lathe spindles is Jacobs
2-3-4-??
depending on the bore.

Jon Elson wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a standard internal taper used with
the D1-6 spindle mount? I have a Sheldon R-15 lathe, and haven't
been able to figure out what the internal taper is, so that I can get
a dead center.

Thanks for any comments,

Jon

Ned Simmons

In article , elson@pico-
systems.com says...
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a standard internal taper used with
the D1-6 spindle mount? I have a Sheldon R-15 lathe, and haven't
been able to figure out what the internal taper is, so that I can get
a dead center.

If there is a standard, I'm not aware of it. I have heard
that Royal is pretty good about supplying centers to order
for most any lathe.

I went to look at an R-15 a few weeks ago that was up for
auction as I've been looking for something a bit bigger
than my 10EE. Unfortunately, this one was in rough shape,
with a longer bed than I can comfortably squeeze in my
shop. Sold for less than $500, I think. It was a little
lighter than what I expected, but had most of the things
I'm looking for in a replacement for the EE, so I'll be
keeping my eyes open for a good one.

Trade for a 10EE anyone?

Ned Simmons
Bob Powell

Jon Elson wrote in message ...
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a standard internal taper used with
the D1-6 spindle mount? I have a Sheldon R-15 lathe, and haven't
been able to figure out what the internal taper is, so that I can get
a dead center.

Thanks for any comments,

Jon

Look in Machinery's, in the Standard Tapers section, among all the
tables one is called "American National Standard Self-Holding Tapers -
Basic Dimension (ANSI B5.10-1981)". The table starts out with 3 tiny
B&S tapers, then has the full Morse taper series to MT #7, and then it
continues into the "3/4 inch per foot series".

It's my understanding that relatively modern lathes with spindle bores
too large for the MT series use the 3/4 in/ft series. A D-6 would
need about a #250 taper, the # correponds to the taper diameter at the
large end, e.g. 2.5" for the #250.

Bob
Jon Elson

Jon Elson wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a standard internal taper used with
the D1-6 spindle mount? I have a Sheldon R-15 lathe, and haven't
been able to figure out what the internal taper is, so that I can get
a dead center.

Thanks for the replies. It is apparently a MT # 6, at least that's what
they
used on a slightly earlier model than mine with the same spindle mount.

Jon

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Jerry Wass wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a standard internal taper used with
the D1-6 spindle mount? I have a Sheldon R-15 lathe, and haven't
been able to figure out what the internal taper is, so that I can get
a dead center.

Actually, that used to be called a *live* center in the old
books (because it rotated), and the dead center was in the tailstock.
Then the ball-bearing centers came along for the tailstock, and things
got confusing. :-)

One difference between the headstock and tailstock centers was
that the tailstock ones were hardened, while the headstock ones were
soft, and were often turned to a precise concentric 60 degree taper
after insertion, so it would be as close to perfect as could be
expected. No runout that way.

The standard taper on the INSIDE of most lathe spindles is Jacobs
2-3-4-??
depending on the bore.

Jacobs? I think that Morse is more likely. But some makers
used their own proprietary tapers, and some used tapers which were once
standard, but which are very hard to find these days.

My Clausing, with an L-00 spindle, happens to use a Morse 4-1/2
taper. Morse never listed it, but the Morse tapers got swept into the
ASA standard for part of the range, and they seem to have created a
4-1/2 to fit the larger gap between the MT-4 and MT-5 tapers.

Another part of the ASA range uses the Jarno tapers, and the
other end (the small end) uses B&S tapers, I think.

You'll also find B&S tapers in some lines of dividing heads,
including those made by B&S, of course. :-)

A lot of the lathes with proprietary tapers, and some with
normal tapers like my Clausing, have available reducing sleeves to
convert the spindle's taper to a convenient size. I've got a sleeve
(home made) to convert the Clausing's MT-4-1/2 to MT-3, a match for the
tailstock taper.

Maybe one of the others know just what taper your Sheldon used.
Does it have a taper turning attachment? If so, you can tune it so an
indicator reads a constant value as you feed into the spindle (measuring
the far side) and you are just about ready to cut the outside taper
for your own home-made adaptor. Once it fits, then you drill and bore
it, and finish up with a Morse taper finish reamer to produce what you
need.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564