Ryan

Default Drill chuck for >.020 drill bit

I have a requirement to drill brass set screws with a 1/64 drill bit. For
this, I use my lathe and hold the bit in a pin vice in the drill chuck. For
convenience, I would rather grip the bit directly in a drill chuck.
Therefore, I ordered a LFA chuck, model 81, which lists as having a capacity
of 0 - .250. However, this chuck will NOT tighten up to the 1/64 bit, but
it does clamp down to about .020. This chuck was about 35 dollars US...
are there any other chucks in this price range which will tighten up right
down to about .010?

Thanks in advance,

RB

Jeff Wisnia

Ryan wrote:

I have a requirement to drill brass set screws with a 1/64 drill bit. For
this, I use my lathe and hold the bit in a pin vice in the drill chuck. For
convenience, I would rather grip the bit directly in a drill chuck.
Therefore, I ordered a LFA chuck, model 81, which lists as having a capacity
of 0 - .250. However, this chuck will NOT tighten up to the 1/64 bit, but
it does clamp down to about .020. This chuck was about 35 dollars US...
are there any other chucks in this price range which will tighten up right
down to about .010?

Thanks in advance,

RB

Why not return that chuck you bought, get your money back (and if you bitch
enough about the incorrect specs, maybe they'll give back the shipping both ways
too.) and pick up a little "reducer chuck" like this one:

http://www.dxmarket.com/micromark/products/60301.html

I'm not sure what you meant by "convenience", but one of those reducer chucks
with a 1/64" drill in it might be easier to grab in your regular chuck than a
pin vise.

IMHO it'd be easier to find and stick that assembly in your regular chuck than
scratching around trying to pick up just the tiny drill. I'm having trouble
spotting things that thin these days, without resorting to a headband magnifier.

FWIW. the protrusion of the drill bit would repeat pretty well if you bottomed
out the reducer chuck against the jaws of your regular chuck, if that's any help
to you.

Goof luck,

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"I before E except after C"....(The height of insufficient weird ancient
science...)

michael

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Ryan wrote:

[...]

Why not just get an Albrecht and be done with it? You are not likely to get anything
other than a POS for $35. Or maybe a Rohm or Jacobs.

michael

Charles A. Sherwood

I have a requirement to drill brass set screws with a 1/64 drill bit.

Jacobs makes a nice Keyed drill chuck with a MT0 arbor that will do the job.
I think its a 5/32 chuck. They are frequently on sale for about $45.
It is a very short chuck which was really nice when I used it on my sherline
mill. A 1/8 Albright is good too, but its about twice as long and costs
over twice as much.
V8TR4

Hi,

What you need is a wire gauge drill chuck. McMaster Carr has them.

Wire Gauge Drill Chuck part# 30505A5 5.97USD

These work great and have a 1/8" shaft, I won't tell you what my wife said
it looked like when she saw it.
I used to use these for dilling printed circuit boards. But as luck would
have it my craftsman 1hp 15" Drill press with 5/8 chuck works great all the
way down to .012, perhaps smaller but I haven't bothered to try.

You could also just buy 1/8" shank bits, but they are costly and might not
be easy to get, though McMaster Carr has them listed as PCB dtill bits. They
are usually very brittle, so be wary.

Good luck
Op

"Ryan" email - wrote in message
I have a requirement to drill brass set screws with a 1/64 drill bit. For
this, I use my lathe and hold the bit in a pin vice in the drill chuck.

For
convenience, I would rather grip the bit directly in a drill chuck.
Therefore, I ordered a LFA chuck, model 81, which lists as having a

capacity
of 0 - .250. However, this chuck will NOT tighten up to the 1/64 bit, but
it does clamp down to about .020. This chuck was about 35 dollars US...
are there any other chucks in this price range which will tighten up right
down to about .010?

Thanks in advance,

RB

dann mann

You need a collet.

Boris Beizer

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
I have a requirement to drill brass set screws with a 1/64

drill bit.

Jacobs makes a nice Keyed drill chuck with a MT0 arbor that will do

the job.
I think its a 5/32 chuck. They are frequently on sale for about

$45.
It is a very short chuck which was really nice when I used it on my

sherline
mill. A 1/8 Albright is good too, but its about twice as long and

costs
over twice as much.

I second that. I have Jacobs #0. Great little chuck. Have it on the
handpiece of my flexible shaft machine. Routinely use drills down to
#87 (0.010) the smallest drill I have. No appreciable runout.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

Ryan

The smallest Jacobs in my catalog is a Chuck model '0', with a chuck mount
0JT, sleeve finish is smooth, priced at $68 US, from KBC tools. If that
sounds like the one you are referring to, then I will see what some of the
other stores sell it for.

Thanks,
RB

nk.net...

#87 (0.010) the smallest drill I have. No appreciable runout.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting
1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

Boris Beizer

"Ryan" wrote in message
news
The smallest Jacobs in my catalog is a Chuck model '0', with a chuck

mount
0JT, sleeve finish is smooth, priced at $68 US, from KBC tools. If

that
sounds like the one you are referring to, then I will see what some

of the
other stores sell it for.

That sure sounds like the right one. There must be far cheaper places
to buy it. I bought the entire handpiece, including the chuck for
about that price. The handpiece has triple ball bearings and is not
trivial. I should think you could find that chuch for about$35 or so.
KBC has lots of stuff, but they're not the cheapest around.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting
1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

Gerald Miller

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 18:16:53 GMT, "Ryan"
wrote:

The smallest Jacobs in my catalog is a Chuck model '0', with a chuck mount
0JT, sleeve finish is smooth, priced at $68 US, from KBC tools. If that
sounds like the one you are referring to, then I will see what some of the
other stores sell it for.

Got mine (used) for $5 one saturday morning a couple years ago, the
same as I paid for the #34 a couple years before that.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada