Kori

Default Freight Harbor question

I have been using a Dremel tool with diamond cutting disks to make custom
cutting bits. They look fairly good, but it's hard to get flat even cutting
edges with this hand method. Does Freight Harbor have anything that might
help me make a jig to control the cuts more evenly? Do they have a diamond
cutting tool that is not too expensive that will work for me?

Kori

Grant Erwin

You are shaping HSS lathe toolbits by faceting them using a diamond
cutoff disk on a Dremel tool?

Have you considered hitting a couple of yard sales and looking for
a bench grinder?

I suggest that you consider in a slightly larger sense what your
problem is. For example, if you say "how can I use a diamond cutoff
wheel more effectively" maybe there isn't a good answer. But if you
say "I'm trying to turn some 316 stainless on my lathe and it's
work-hardening, so I'm trying a different tool geometry on my 3/8"
HSS tool bits. I'm having trouble generating the tool bit geometry
I'm shooting for" then maybe someone would tell you how to turn
your stainless more easily.

Perhaps I'm wrong about what you're doing. I tend to interpret
things very literally. It's a common shortcoming in anyone who has
ever written software.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Kori wrote:

I have been using a Dremel tool with diamond cutting disks to make custom
cutting bits. They look fairly good, but it's hard to get flat even cutting
edges with this hand method. Does Freight Harbor have anything that might
help me make a jig to control the cuts more evenly? Do they have a diamond
cutting tool that is not too expensive that will work for me?

Kori

Bob Engelhardt

Kori wrote:
... Does Freight Harbor have anything that might
help me make a jig to control the cuts more evenly? ...

How about mounting the Dremel in an x-y vise ($40):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=106

and hold the stock in another vise. You could feed the Dremel in 2
directions.

Bob

Kori

Bob, I think you found just what I need. I will go down to Freight Harbor
this evening and have a look at it. I only need to make two straight cuts to
make my carbide bit, so I did not want to spend too much.

Thanks Bob
**********************
Mr. Erwin
In answer to Mr. Erwin. The carbide cutting tool I am making goes on a
Rosback perfect binder. They only sell one type of cutting bit for this
machine, and I don't much care for it. I am not a machinist, so I am
learning as I go. I have already made and tested a few bits that work better
at roughing the spine of a book better than the ones Rosback sells. I just
wanted to make my bit cuts smoother, and I needed a support guide. I think
the x-y vise ($40) Bob suggested is what I need. The cutting bit that
Rosback sells cuts a groove in the spine every 1/4 inch. It works, but not
that well at holding the pages in a book. My cutting bit rips the complete
paper spine from end to end, which gives the glue more paper fibers to hold
on to. It makes a much stonger book. The Rosback carbide cutting tool is
shapped more like a sharpe knife blade, where mine is shapped more like a
1/4 rake. Anyway, I think the x-y vise will work for me.

Kori

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Kori wrote:
... Does Freight Harbor have anything that might
help me make a jig to control the cuts more evenly? ...

How about mounting the Dremel in an x-y vise ($40):

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=106

and hold the stock in another vise. You could feed the Dremel in 2
directions.

Bob

jim

Kori wrote:

I have been using a Dremel tool with diamond cutting disks to make custom
cutting bits. They look fairly good, but it's hard to get flat even cutting
edges with this hand method. Does Freight Harbor have anything that might
help me make a jig to control the cuts more evenly? Do they have a diamond
cutting tool that is not too expensive that will work for me?

Kori

the diamond cut off disc that harbor freight sells list for about
$9.95..if i remember right it was three or four disc with a mandrel and
it seemed to be able to fit the dremel tool... i was in harbor freight
about 2 weeks ago buying something non related and saw the 4 by 4 card
sheet with the disc and the madrel on it... noticed the price of $9.95..
not looking for them at the time i just picked it off the counter and
put it back.. when i got home i was looking at their catalog sheet and
found that they were on sale for $1.95.... i wish i knew that at the
time as i would have gotten some and tried them out...... no special
need, but for 2 bucks how much could i loose???