Doug Arthurs

Default Atlas milling attachment

Saw this on E-bay today.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...egory=12 72&r
d=1 Any opinions on this. Seems like he wants a lot of money for it. I
wouldn't mind having one as I don't have room for a real milling macine but
I wonder if these things are worth buying. It uses a morse taper collet and
I'm uncertain if they would have enough holding power. Also would this cause
excessive wear to my old Atlas? Then there's the question of whether it
would be a big pain in the ass to setup.

--
Doug Arthurs
Kent Bridge, On

Check out my website at http://www.netrover.com/~arthurs/

jim rozen

In article , "Doug says...

Saw this on E-bay today.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...egory=12 72&r
d=1 Any opinions on this. Seems like he wants a lot of money for it. I
wouldn't mind having one as I don't have room for a real milling macine but
I wonder if these things are worth buying. It uses a morse taper collet and
I'm uncertain if they would have enough holding power. Also would this cause
excessive wear to my old Atlas? Then there's the question of whether it
would be a big pain in the ass to setup.

Basically all your suspicions are correct.

1) they are very limited in rigidity and are difficult to
set up for any involved work, beyond a simple keyway.

2) you cannot take heavy cuts with the MT2 collet holding
an endmill, but then one cannot as a general rule take heavy
cuts with a milling attachment anway.

3) if you do take heavy cuts it will put a bit of a strain
on the cross slide and so on.

4) even with all these drawbacks, a milling attachment like
this is better than no milling machine at all, and as such
are highly in demand - and tend to fetch a very good price.
Scan around and see what an original southbend milling attachment
would cost on ebay, if you can find one. =8-O

Jim

please reply to:

Lane

Yes they are expensive. I was going to buy one but instead bought a used
"bench top" knee type mill-drill at an auction for $500 and made room for
it. Glad I did, much more versatile and easier to use. I know this really
doesn't answer your question, but thought I'd give you a nudge in the
direction of a mill. I guess it depends on how much you would use it.
Lane

"Doug Arthurs" wrote in message
Saw this on E-bay today.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...egory=12 72&r
d=1 Any opinions on this. Seems like he wants a lot of money for it. I
wouldn't mind having one as I don't have room for a real milling macine

but
I wonder if these things are worth buying. It uses a morse taper collet

and
I'm uncertain if they would have enough holding power. Also would this

cause
excessive wear to my old Atlas? Then there's the question of whether it
would be a big pain in the ass to setup.

--
Doug Arthurs
Kent Bridge, On

Check out my website at http://www.netrover.com/~arthurs/

Mark Winlund

"Doug Arthurs" wrote in message
Saw this on E-bay today.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...egory=12 72&r
d=1 Any opinions on this. Seems like he wants a lot of money for it. I
wouldn't mind having one as I don't have room for a real milling macine

but
I wonder if these things are worth buying. It uses a morse taper collet

and
I'm uncertain if they would have enough holding power. Also would this

cause
excessive wear to my old Atlas? Then there's the question of whether it
would be a big pain in the ass to setup.

--
Doug Arthurs
Kent Bridge, On

Check out my website at http://www.netrover.com/~arthurs/

I've known a few people that have them, and mostly they say they are very
limited in what they can do.

Mark

Gerald Miller

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:10:09 -0400, "Doug Arthurs"
wrote:

Saw this on E-bay today.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...egory=12 72&r
d=1 Any opinions on this. Seems like he wants a lot of money for it. I
wouldn't mind having one as I don't have room for a real milling macine but
I wonder if these things are worth buying. It uses a morse taper collet and
I'm uncertain if they would have enough holding power. Also would this cause
excessive wear to my old Atlas? Then there's the question of whether it
would be a big pain in the ass to setup.

I made up a heavy angle setup for my SB9A to hold the compound in the
vertical plane. End mills are held in a MT3 3/8 collet from Busy Bee.
Not a perfect setup by any means but it helps me putter in my shop for
my own enjoyment.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

jim rozen

In article , Jack says...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2546974159

The price seems a little outrageous.

Well - there are no bids yet. It might not sell.

However IMO milling attachments like this (factory ones,
not the palmgren type) are pretty rare and tend to go
for big money.

A cursory ebay seach show this one as being the only one,
including recent finished auctions as well. So it's
tough to get a comp.

I have to agree with you that they hardly seem to be
worth the money, given the limited utility. I actually
purchased a *new* 9" SB milling attachment for my
lathe at one point, back when this did not require
taking out a bank loan. The person who purchased that
machine was very happy to see that it was included!

Jim

please reply to:

Waffen54

Ain't worth the scrap rate of iron..........they are all junk

wrote:

Saw this on E-bay today.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...egory=12 72&r
d=1 Any opinions on this. Seems like he wants a lot of money for it. I
wouldn't mind having one as I don't have room for a real milling macine but
I wonder if these things are worth buying. It uses a morse taper collet and
I'm uncertain if they would have enough holding power. Also would this cause
excessive wear to my old Atlas? Then there's the question of whether it
would be a big pain in the ass to setup.

The price seems a little outrageous.

The original collet setup on the Atlas consisted of a nose piece type,
hardened and ground collet holder (that went into the spindle end), a
spindle cap to protect the spindle threads and also unseat the collet
holder for removal, and a drawbar for the collets. That used 3AT
collets (near duplicates of the South Bend 3C collets) and the drawbar
handle was tapped with a soft hammer to unseat the collets.

I used that equipment for holding material for turning and also for
holding cutters when using the milling attachment as seen on the
auction. The milling attachment is tall and not a benchmark for
rigidity. But lights cuts with good cutters and some patience will
let you accomplish some meaningful work.

One thing I used mine for was cutting extractor slots in the end of
rifle and pistol barrels because I did not have any other way to make
small, intricate, cuts on the end of a long object.

Pookie45678

I bought one of those new in 1977, before I got my mill-drill. IIRC, the
price was about $250.00. It is capable of some decent work, as long as you get
to know its limitations, and spend time setting it up right. Good sharp end
mills help, because the setup is flimsy, and anything done to reduce stress and
vibration helps. With a little imagination, many things can be done with it.
Now the only time I use it is for putting a bore in the end of a long piece
that can't be held any other way.

Jim
Don't raise the bridge, lower the water