jtaylor

Default Why does this part have a left-hand thread?

The little plastic operating lever on the toilet tank has a left-hand
thread. I cannot think of any good reason for this.

And in passing, the place where I got the replacement had three types that
would fit:

4" plain white plastic - $5.99
4" chromed plastic - $5.09
4/6/8" chromed plastic (cut to fit) - $4.29

Pay more, get less, I suppose....

Grant Erwin

jtaylor wrote:

The little plastic operating lever on the toilet tank has a left-hand
thread. I cannot think of any good reason for this.

Normally a design incorporates LH threads where normal use would loosen
RH threads. For example if a lever were mounted on the top left of a
toilet tank such that the lever were to the left of the mounting screw,
operating the lever normally would tend to unscrew it. Since most toilets
I'm familiar with have flush handles like this, perhaps that is the reason.

GWE
Rex B

jtaylor wrote:
The little plastic operating lever on the toilet tank has a left-hand
thread. I cannot think of any good reason for this.

It's a quick way to separate out the apprentice plumbers who need to
seek alternate careers
jim rozen

In article , Grant Erwin says...

Normally a design incorporates LH threads where normal use would loosen
RH threads. For example if a lever were mounted on the top left of a
toilet tank such that the lever were to the left of the mounting screw,
operating the lever normally would tend to unscrew it. Since most toilets
I'm familiar with have flush handles like this, perhaps that is the reason.

Yep. If you think about it, pushing down the lever has to work
against the force of lifting the valve off the seat - by pulling on
the chain.

So the plastic bushing that fits in the hole in the tank is trying
to turn left at every flush.

Jim

please reply to:
Pat Ford

"jtaylor" wrote in message
The little plastic operating lever on the toilet tank has a left-hand
thread. I cannot think of any good reason for this.

And in passing, the place where I got the replacement had three types that
would fit:

4" plain white plastic - $5.99
4" chromed plastic - $5.09
4/6/8" chromed plastic (cut to fit) - $4.29

Pay more, get less, I suppose....

Old dodges(69 dart) had the same thing on lug nuts on one side of the car.
They tighten in use.
Pat

Peter Grey

"Rex B" wrote in message

It's a quick way to separate out the apprentice plumbers who need to seek
alternate careers

I just replaced the handle on one of my toilets and it was apparent to me
why the thing had a left hand thread. Does this mean I have a future in the
plumbing arts?

Peter

Glenn Ashmore

Old dodges(69 dart) had the same thing on lug nuts on one side of the car.
They tighten in use.
Pat

This topic is a sore point with me. Somewhere in my shop is the worlds
largest collection of left handed weed eater bolts. Every time I need to
change from the string head to a brush blade I have to go buy another bolt.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Sourcing a Part L compliant part glazed stable door Val UK diy 3 April 26th 05 09:50 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Part P - new cable colours CRB UK diy 50 November 30th 04 11:13 PM
U NEED 2 KNOW PART P dms1.go-plus.net UK diy 42 November 24th 04 11:19 PM