Grant Erwin

Default Sheldon 10" lathe question

Tonight my buddy and I went to look at a venerable old 10" Sheldon lathe.
It's a model L-62 with a nice long bed. There is a lot of crust and dirt
and a little rust on it, but there is also some severe wear and some
damage and one thing I couldn't make work, and I have some questions for
anyone who knows these machines.

Here is an overall view:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sheldon/overall.jpg

When I got far enough along to put some oil in the spindle bearings and
spun up the spindle, I immediately noticed a horrible noise coming from
the back. It turned out the horizontal drive unit's jackshaft hadn't been
sufficiently lubricated, or had been overtightened, or both, and it had
worn at least 1/16" of slop in it so it was just rattling around noisily.

Here's a pictu
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/She...ftBoogered.jpg

The headstock has a quickchange gearbox. All the visible gears on the
lathe (including those in the gearbox) are intact and there was no visible
pitting on the gear faces. However, the shifting arm on the quickchange
gearbox is broken:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/She...ShiftLever.jpg

It could be persuaded to stay in gear, though, and maybe another arm is
available (no, the busted off part isn't there). So I stuck a 2x4" piece
under it and went to check out the powerfeeds.

Uh-oh. Maybe I couldn't figure out the clutch, but I could not make the
powerfeeds work. Here's a picture of the apron, anyone know how these
clutches are supposed to work?
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sheldon/apron.jpg

This old machine looks to me to be restorable but quite a bit of work
would be needed. However, if the apron's clutch is busted, that might
be a bigger problem than I'd want to take on.

My buddy is going to pass on this lathe, not himself feeling qualified
to get this one up and running again. There is no tooling whatever other
than a rusty 3-jaw. No toolpost, no tailstock anything, no steady, no
follower, no lathe centers, no dog plate, no 4-jaw, no nothing. $500
as it sits, in Snohomish, Washington.

Grant Erwin
GrumpyOldGeek

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

What you've got to ask yourself is "Do I want
a lathe or do I want a project?" Looks like
a project to me.

A friend of mine has either a Sheldon or a
Logan with the same jackshaft bearing issue.
It didn't look too hard to turn and bush the
shaft. The other stuff, I don't know...

Jerry Foster

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
[...]

IMO, that's way too much money for a machine of that size in that condition.
For five hundred bucks, you should get a usable machine with "some" stuff
with it. What you have there is scrap iron. Yes, it is probably restorable
(if the bed isn't too bad...), but it will be a LOT of work and a fair
amount of money to replace the missing stuff.

Jerry

Rex B

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

Most of the things you mentioned can be fabricated or bought for a
little time and/or money. As for the power feed, it's simle mechanics.
Half the fun is taking it apart and figuring out what it needs, then how
to solve that need.
If you want to tackle it as a restoration project, and if the ways
are not visibly worn, I'd offer $350 for it, were I you.
On the other hand, if your area is awash in lathes, keep looking for
a nicer machine.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX
Gunner

On Wed, 04 May 2005 22:51:32 -0700, GrumpyOldGeek
wrote:

My buddy is going to pass on this lathe, not himself feeling qualified
to get this one up and running again. There is no tooling whatever other
than a rusty 3-jaw. No toolpost, no tailstock anything, no steady, no
follower, no lathe centers, no dog plate, no 4-jaw, no nothing. $500
as it sits, in Snohomish, Washington.

What you've got to ask yourself is "Do I want
a lathe or do I want a project?" Looks like
a project to me.

A friend of mine has either a Sheldon or a
Logan with the same jackshaft bearing issue.
It didn't look too hard to turn and bush the
shaft. The other stuff, I don't know...

Indeed. Though..unless stuff is missing...it looks like a decent
enough lathe. A bit spendy. Shrug

I know you have more than the skill level to fix it up and likely in a
single weekend, based on what the issues you have shown. The big
question is...how are the ways, how do the spindle bearings sound,
and how much slop is in the tailstock ram?

As Grumpy said..the jack shaft is easy to bush, the clutches are
generally simple and the gear selector can likely be fabricated.

What is your gut feeling and do you Feel anything about this lathe?
If it flips your dress up..then its worth it to putz with it. And if
you get it running but dont like it, you can likely get your money
plus, back out of it.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Grant Erwin

This one isn't for *me*. Mostly I'm just trying to get a definitive
answer on exactly how the clutch is supposed to work. There arent't too
many things you can do with a knurled knob - push it, pull it, or rotate
it. It doesn't go in any of these directions. Before I do something like
put a strap wrench on it, I'd like to know for sure which way to turn ..

GWE

wrote:

[...]

Peter Grey

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
This one isn't for *me*. Mostly I'm just trying to get a definitive
answer on exactly how the clutch is supposed to work. There arent't too
many things you can do with a knurled knob - push it, pull it, or rotate
it. It doesn't go in any of these directions. Before I do something like
put a strap wrench on it, I'd like to know for sure which way to turn ..

GWE

In the absence of a more qualified poster, I will tell you that the clutch
on my 11" South Bend has what looks to be the same type of actuator. One
turns the knob - fluted, not knurled on my lathe - clockwise to engage
the clutch and counter-clockwise to disengage it. My clutch has a stack of
plates that alternately have internal and external splines, and a threaded
"clamp plate" that's actuated by a threaded shaft attached to the knob.
When one turns the knob, the clamp plate tightens the clutch pack and away
you go.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.

Peter

Gunner

On Thu, 05 May 2005 08:35:08 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

This one isn't for *me*. Mostly I'm just trying to get a definitive
answer on exactly how the clutch is supposed to work. There arent't too
many things you can do with a knurled knob - push it, pull it, or rotate
it. It doesn't go in any of these directions. Before I do something like
put a strap wrench on it, I'd like to know for sure which way to turn ..

GWE

Ah! ok. It looks to be a very close approximation of a Logan apron.
Perhaps Scott or another Logan user could fill in the blanks. I have a
similar one, but cant drop the apron until this coming weekend.

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Rex B

My Logan requires a CCW twist to engage, and a CW twist to disengage.
No more than 45 degrees of rotation.
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

[...]

Orrin Iseminger

Grant, I have an almost carbon copy of that lathe, only in 13-inch
size. My motor mount is different, but otherwise things look very
familiar.

A big plus for this lathe is that big hole through the spindle. It is
very simple to make a 5C collet adapter for it. The collet fits
*inside* the spindle, being a lot better arrangement than those
adapters that hang 'way out over the bed.

I agree with the others. This lathe isn't worth $500. $350 is more
like it.

I have to stop to think every time I operate the clutch on my lathe.
Clockwise engages it. Counter-clockwise disengages it.

Mine had a nasty habit of jamming in the dis-engaged position. The
fix was simple, just a skim cut on a surface; but, it was so long ago
I forgot where.

I'd be interested in this lathe just for the parts, but what with
gasoline prices now being so high, it wouldn't be cost-effective.

Regards,

Orrin

Grant Erwin

I'd be interested in this lathe just for the parts, but what with
gasoline prices now being so high, it wouldn't be cost-effective.

Regards,

Orrin

The seller told me today it sold. End of story. - GWE
lionslair at consolidated dot net

Grant Erwin wrote:

Tonight my buddy and I went to look at a venerable old 10" Sheldon lathe.
It's a model L-62 with a nice long bed. There is a lot of crust and dirt
and a little rust on it, but there is also some severe wear and some
damage and one thing I couldn't make work, and I have some questions for
anyone who knows these machines.

That is a nice long bed - 18" more than my L11-44

Here is an overall view:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sheldon/overall.jpg

When I got far enough along to put some oil in the spindle bearings and
spun up the spindle, I immediately noticed a horrible noise coming from
the back. It turned out the horizontal drive unit's jackshaft hadn't been
sufficiently lubricated, or had been overtightened, or both, and it had
worn at least 1/16" of slop in it so it was just rattling around noisily.

Here's a pictu
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/She...ftBoogered.jpg

I had an issue here also, not the jackshaft, but the 'grub' (set) screw setting the pulley in place.
It didn't always catch - rattled loose ? during shipping one year ? - fixed that one.

The headstock has a quickchange gearbox. All the visible gears on the
lathe (including those in the gearbox) are intact and there was no visible
pitting on the gear faces. However, the shifting arm on the quickchange
gearbox is broken:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/She...ShiftLever.jpg

Bummer - might be gear breakage also. The square on top near the handle -
opens for oil - one screw and a pin - shows the gears internally.
Quick change boxes are replaceable and are extractable from scrap machines...
If you can find one.

It could be persuaded to stay in gear, though, and maybe another arm is
available (no, the busted off part isn't there). So I stuck a 2x4" piece
under it and went to check out the powerfeeds.

Uh-oh. Maybe I couldn't figure out the clutch, but I could not make the
powerfeeds work. Here's a picture of the apron, anyone know how these
clutches are supposed to work?
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/Sheldon/apron.jpg

Looks like the cross drive was engaged!
The bottom circle handle is the friction drive -
The right hand lever is to engage the lead screw
The lever in the left or 10:00 clock position is (in or out ? cross slide)
Center is apron drive (by friction or lead screw) Right is reverse from left.
The other two are typical.

The dial on the right is for threading - matching even / odds.

Also notice the rack on the top to move the apron while the
lead screw is used for half nut (right hand lever) use and friction.

Does seem to have been in a sand factory or somewhere!
Likely old war horse through several shops.

This old machine looks to me to be restorable but quite a bit of work
would be needed. However, if the apron's clutch is busted, that might
be a bigger problem than I'd want to take on.

My buddy is going to pass on this lathe, not himself feeling qualified
to get this one up and running again. There is no tooling whatever other
than a rusty 3-jaw. No toolpost, no tailstock anything, no steady, no
follower, no lathe centers, no dog plate, no 4-jaw, no nothing. $500
as it sits, in Snohomish, Washington.

Grant Erwin

Looks like one to pass up but it does contain parts that some machines could use.
e.g. the apron - gears, handles, ..... even the quick change... if replacing bad gears...

Some of these are more work than one wants - e.g. want to do metal work not repair work...

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Grant Erwin wrote:

This one isn't for *me*. Mostly I'm just trying to get a definitive
answer on exactly how the clutch is supposed to work. There arent't too
many things you can do with a knurled knob - push it, pull it, or rotate
it. It doesn't go in any of these directions. Before I do something like
put a strap wrench on it, I'd like to know for sure which way to turn ..

GWE

The clutch is locked because the central lever is in cross feed drive.
If it was in the central hole, then friction on/off or just carriage movement.

Someone 'played' with it or something prior to your seeing.
One would not use that except for faceplate work or like work.

My bet is that it is working perfectly. If you can't move anything then
friction drive is strong and the lead screw is driving. The apron is locked
or it is under specific special control. (Taper?)

Martin

wrote:

[...]

JOCELYN BROWNE

Knurled knob = clutch cw-engage ccw-disengage.
Lever above clutch knob=feed select L=cross feed C=neutral R=long feed.

[...]

Market Research Question -- Sakai ML 360 Lathe Steve Koschmann Metalworking 4 June 17th 05 05:58 PM
Sheldon lathe info, please... [email protected] Metalworking 8 April 20th 05 12:17 PM
Dumb Question -- Atlas lathe bearing headplay [email protected] Metalworking 10 April 15th 05 01:12 AM
Lathe Question Jack Metalworking 29 February 9th 04 02:50 AM
FS - Sheldon lathe bed anthony Metalworking 1 October 8th 03 03:33 AM