Dominic Palazzola

Default lead screw assmbely

hi, im looking for a source for lead screws in the surplus market or maybe
making my own with some help from a machinist. I have designed a drum sander
that im planning on building and im stuck at one point. this is what im
trying to do I have a 4 x 24" drum on a 3/4 or 1" shaft that I want to move
up and down about 4".

my first thought was to use a couple 1" threaded rods in flange bearings but
where im stuck is connecting the pillow blocks to the rods, my thinking
tells me to have some one make me a couple 1" x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 steel blocks
that are threaded for the rod to move thru. then I can mount the pillow
blocks on the 1" side but now I need a way to guide the blocks up and down
so they wont spin. maybe c channel of some sort that the blocks can ride in
on the outboard sides. any thoughts on this would be helpful.
thanks
Dominic

Are you anywhere near Central Oregon? I think I have just what you
need. Remains from an old wave solder machine.

Paul

Tom

Dominic Palazzola wrote:

[...]

Look up "take up" bearing housings, made primarily for conveyors
but would do your job.

Tom
Dennis Peterson

Dominic Palazzola wrote:
[...]

Thise folks have a lot of lead screw material:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

dp
Anthony

"Dominic Palazzola" wrote in
:

hi, im looking for a source for lead screws in the surplus market or
maybe making my own with some help from a machinist. I have designed a
drum sander that im planning on building and im stuck at one point.
this is what im trying to do I have a 4 x 24" drum on a 3/4 or 1"
shaft that I want to move up and down about 4".

my first thought was to use a couple 1" threaded rods in flange
bearings but where im stuck is connecting the pillow blocks to the
rods, my thinking tells me to have some one make me a couple 1" x 1
1/4 x 1 1/4 steel blocks that are threaded for the rod to move thru.
then I can mount the pillow blocks on the 1" side but now I need a way
to guide the blocks up and down so they wont spin. maybe c channel of
some sort that the blocks can ride in on the outboard sides. any
thoughts on this would be helpful. thanks
Dominic

www.mcmaster-carr.com

Search for ACME screw
Search for BallScrew

McMaster-Carr is your friend....

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/

Don Foreman

"Dominic Palazzola" wrote in message
hi, im looking for a source for lead screws in the surplus market or maybe
making my own with some help from a machinist. I have designed a drum
sander that im planning on building and im stuck at one point. this is
what im trying to do I have a 4 x 24" drum on a 3/4 or 1" shaft that I
want to move up and down about 4".

my first thought was to use a couple 1" threaded rods in flange bearings
but where im stuck is connecting the pillow blocks to the rods, my
thinking tells me to have some one make me a couple 1" x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4
steel blocks that are threaded for the rod to move thru. then I can mount
the pillow blocks on the 1" side but now I need a way to guide the blocks
up and down so they wont spin. maybe c channel of some sort that the
blocks can ride in on the outboard sides. any thoughts on this would be
helpful.

Ball-bearing drawer slides?

Is it safe for kids to take apart electronics? momwithtools Electronics Repair 64 March 1st 05 09:15 AM
Just talking about mains tester screw drivers BigWallop UK diy 13 January 4th 05 09:24 PM
Lead-Loc and Gas pipes tom w UK diy 29 June 17th 04 12:10 AM
how do you remove the lead screw gear on a craftsman 109.20630 lathe? drew j. Metalworking 2 November 25th 03 07:55 AM
Straighten a acme lead screw? Gunner Metalworking 38 September 27th 03 09:19 PM