AsphodelDew

Default help with design

hey everyone. first time realy posting here... i have a few questionsa
about a little project im working on hopefully you can help. im making
a thermal lance (aka, burning bar, oxygen torch, thirmic cutting
cable, etc...)
here is my idea of what im going to do so far:

an o2 tank connected to a 200psi regulator then connected to high
pressure tubing, that is secured to the regulater with a hose clamp.
the tubing wich will be somewhere between 3 and 5 feet, then conncets
to a adapter (cant think of the name) that inturn goes to a ball
valve. from there the ball valve is connected to a female coupling.
the size of the ball valve and coupling will be 1/2 inch. for the
actual bar i plan on using several feet of 1/2 inch steel pipe that
has been filled with mild steel rods. it sounds good to me what do you
peopel think? is there a special type of steel pipe i should use?
orchard carries 2 types, black pipe and a more metalic stainless steel
type, which type should i use? and could anyoen help me with finding
some mild steel bars or wires? and how do you keep all the bars inside
the steel tube so that the oxygen dosent just push it all out? would a
welding supply carry mild steel bars? thanks everyone for the help
~chris
Ps: i need help picking out a suitable oxygen tank to use. it must be
portable but large enough to cut through a good amount of metal.
Richard Ferguson

Oxygen is too dangerous to recommend rolling your own thermal lance, buy
one. Check out the earlier post of an O2 bottle exploding. Just too
dangerous to experiment with, except for experts in a lab with extensive
safety precautions.

Richard

AsphodelDew wrote:

[...]

AsphodelDew

no im not a planning on stealing anything.. im using the torch that i
have now, mapp-oxy, for steel sculptures, but now i want to start
making larger sculptures with concrete. yea i know it sounds messy but
i love abstract sculpture.
Ken Davey

"AsphodelDew" wrote in message
om...
no im not a planning on stealing anything.. im using the torch that i
have now, mapp-oxy, for steel sculptures, but now i want to start
making larger sculptures with concrete. yea i know it sounds messy but
i love abstract sculpture.

I suggest you listen to the collective wisdom of this group. Go with what's
available commercially or *you* may wind up being an 'abstract sculpture'.

Regards.
Ken.

Mark Rand

On 15 Jul 2003 10:53:59 -0700, (AsphodelDew) wrote:

[...]

Ordinary cutting/welding regulator should provide more than enough pressure
and flow.

Ensure that the ball valve is grease free.

Use the cheapest iron pipe you can get. There is no benefit in anything else.

Don't forget that you will have to heat the end up to get it going.

Have fun.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Dan Caster

(AsphodelDew) wrote in message here is my idea of what im going to do so far:

[...]

If I were going to make one, I would start with one that uses small
pipe and not have any rods inside. I would also get a torch end ( as
opposed to one that mount at the regulator ) flashback/check vave from
your welding distributor. You can make the oxygen tank portable by
having it on a cart. Make sure it is one that will not tip over.
Things will be exciting enough with adding anything else.

Dan