Default embossing computer case

Hi everyone,

Before I ask my question, I would just let you all know I know nothing
about metal work.

I have a computer business, and was intrested in branding my computers
more. What I want to do is somehow put my logo onto the computer case,
but not with just simply put on a sticker. I wanted to somehow
engrave my the case with my logo so if people touch it, they can feel
my logo(simlair to an HP, DELL, IBM computer).

I will buy aluminum Cases and then put my logo on the side. I spoke
with a famiyl friend who didn't know too much about it but thought that
i would need something like a clamp that had a our logo on it, and when
we clamp it down on the side of the case it will put our logo on it. He
said it was called embossing.

I was wondering if this was the correct way to do it? if not, is there
an more effienct way? and how much a machine like this would cost me
about(i am in toronto)?

Thanks in advance

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

It would be really easy to do a simple embossed logo using a small
hydraulic press and an open die.

Check out this site.

http://www.bonnydoonengineering.com/learn/hydraulic/hydraulic.shtml
Gunner

On Mon, 02 May 2005 05:25:51 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Ayup. See this all the time in my line of work. But it works best if
the panel is unpainted...Doing it already finished...it may screw up
the paint. If its powder coated..it WILL screw up the powder coat.

Ymmv of course.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Douglas Adams

Keep in mind you will be damaging the product finish (i.e. paint on steel
cases). Embossing is usually done before the finishing process.

Why not glue on stickers or affix stamped metal plates?

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Honest A Babin

You might try hot foil imprinting.
Very professional in appearance and works well on all kinds of
surfaces.
It will actually melt itself into a painted surface quite nicely.
Best of luck.

Spehro Pefhany

On 1 May 2005 21:58:35 -0700, the renowned
wrote:

[...]

Why don't you silk screen your logo on? You can make it whatever color
you like, relatively large, and it will have a bit of feel because of
the thickness of the paint. Just be sure to use a compatible
paint/solvent system that allows you to quicly clean off the logo if
you botch it without dissolving the underlying finish. That will
prevent you from ending up with cases that are scrap because the cover
is not salable.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Bob May

If you wish to do embossing, plan on also repainting the panel. The
embossing will crack the paint as well as show scrapes from the working of
the metal.
Better to do as others have mentioned and silkscreen the panel. This will
also allow you to paint the plastic front panel as you desire.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

carl mciver

wrote in message
ups.com...
| Hi everyone,
|
| Before I ask my question, I would just let you all know I know nothing
| about metal work.
|
| I have a computer business, and was intrested in branding my computers
| more. What I want to do is somehow put my logo onto the computer case,
| but not with just simply put on a sticker. I wanted to somehow
| engrave my the case with my logo so if people touch it, they can feel
| my logo(simlair to an HP, DELL, IBM computer).
|
| I will buy aluminum Cases and then put my logo on the side. I spoke
| with a famiyl friend who didn't know too much about it but thought that
| i would need something like a clamp that had a our logo on it, and when
| we clamp it down on the side of the case it will put our logo on it. He
| said it was called embossing.
|
| I was wondering if this was the correct way to do it? if not, is there
| an more effienct way? and how much a machine like this would cost me
| about(i am in toronto)?
|

| Thanks in advance

I was thinking that if you had a stencil made, you could sandblast the
logo on. You can clearcoat or paint over it after you're done, using the
same stencil, possibly. Depending on the grit and paint you use, the
texture will be unique and easily felt. Not embossing, but another idea
that anyone at your store can do (out back, that is!)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Douglas Adams" wrote in message
Keep in mind you will be damaging the product finish (i.e. paint on steel
cases). Embossing is usually done before the finishing process.

Douglas, an awful lot of post-finishing forming is done these days through
the use of protective papers and elastomeric covers on the forming
equipment. Most pre-finished material is merely brake formed, but there are
a number of items I've seen that were (lightly) embossed into pre-finished
coil stock.

There are a number of application specific surfacing materials with enough
elasticity to withstand the operations.

LLoyd

Why not just silk screen your company logo.

Looks good, works well, and is long lasting. You can have professional
silk screens made for you from your artwork, and with a bit of
practice/training can apply the silk screening to your product by
yourself. (By the way, the better silk screens are made from stainless
steel mesh mounted in an aluminum frame).

Just about every laser and ink-jet printer is labeled using this
method, as are Xerox copiers, IBM Computers, etc., so you'd be in fine
company. By contrast, I really can't think of many products of major
firms (at least in the computer and electronics field) that have
embossed markings on them.

Harry C.

On Mon, 02 May 2005 18:11:59 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Douglas Adams" wrote in message
Keep in mind you will be damaging the product finish (i.e. paint on steel
cases). Embossing is usually done before the finishing process.

Douglas, an awful lot of post-finishing forming is done these days through
the use of protective papers and elastomeric covers on the forming
equipment. Most pre-finished material is merely brake formed, but there are
a number of items I've seen that were (lightly) embossed into pre-finished
coil stock.

There are a number of application specific surfacing materials with enough
elasticity to withstand the operations.

LLoyd

But you won't find them on Chinese computer cases (and are there any
other kinds in Toronto???)
Mark

Hi Everyone,

I am seriously very thankful to the knowledable replies. I am alot
less lost now. thank you all for helping me gain a little
understanding.

I at first wanted to emboss the case because I thought it'd make my
small business look really big, but I was also worried about the
embossing cracking the paint on the case already(most cases will just
be unpainted shinny aluminum, but some may be painted). I was
told(not sure how true it is) that if I emboss a larger logo on it the
paint won't crack. If the letters are small and the logo is really
fine, then paint could crack(if its power coated).

I am starting to consider Silk screening. It seems more economical
since right now we're not selling too many computers.

To label the monitors, i was looking into print screens, from what I
can tell silk screens are almost the same(except the stencle is made
out of silk), is there anything else?

Also for now, i was going to spent about 500 (could go up to 800) to
label the cases, from my research that pretty much makes it hard to
get an embossing machine. But thanks to you all, i think i got
another idea. one of my business partners used to paint cars and
maybe we airbrush the case(or leave it normal aluminum look), and then
put a silk screen ontop of it.

If someone touchs the silk screen, would the paint come off?
Sometimes people put their machines on the floor and their legs rub
against it, or it may be near a vent. Would tempature or touching it
wear it out? Does the colour fade? Would I be able to do it myself
if i got a template made? or would it be economical to get it done by
a professional?

Should i totally drop the idea of embossing, or would it look more
professional then silk screen?

Thanks for everything already, sorry to ask more questions. But if
you can just let me know anything problems or things i should consider
when doing this, it'll help me alot :-)

Thanks again and many warm wishs.
Bruce L. Bergman

On 3 May 2005 06:16:47 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

Also for now, i was going to spent about 500 (could go up to 800) to
label the cases, from my research that pretty much makes it hard to
get an embossing machine. But thanks to you all, i think i got
another idea. one of my business partners used to paint cars and
maybe we airbrush the case(or leave it normal aluminum look), and then
put a silk screen ontop of it.

Airbrush through a stencil would certainly work, though it is partly
dependent on the skill of the painter getting the paint on evenly.
And even if you spend on a nice airbrush it'll be simpler than
silkscreening. But maybe not as permanent due to the nature of the
paints, in airbrush you don't apply a very thick film unless you sit
there for a half hour going back and forth...

If someone touchs the silk screen, would the paint come off?
Sometimes people put their machines on the floor and their legs rub
against it, or it may be near a vent. Would tempature or touching it
wear it out? Does the colour fade? Would I be able to do it myself
if i got a template made? or would it be economical to get it done by
a professional?

The paint or ink sticking to your cases and monitors is all
dependent on what kind of paint or ink you use, and it's compatibility
with the surface you put it on. Almost every decorated tee-shirt you
see was silk-screened onto the fabric, and I have some 20 year old
shirts that have been laundered hundreds of times, and the ink still
looks good.

It is simple enough to do yourself, though it will take a modest
investment in tools and supplies. Screen frames pre-stretched with
silk fabric, frame hinges with clamps, photo-resist stencil material,
masking paper for the non-image areas of the screen, several types of
special inks for almost any surface, squeegees, solvents...

You'll want to have a printing shop expose your stencils and stick
them to the silk, they're the only places that still have large format
cameras and the UV plate burners to expose them.

The custom work will be making a screen holder setup to hold the
screen and your parts to be marked in the right position - unpack the
monitor or assembled case, lay it on the table face-up in a special
jig, and then the screen lowers into the right place.

Doing multi-color is where it gets tricky, because you need a turret
press - a lazy susan that holds all 3-4-5-6 screens (Yellow, Cyan,
Magenta, Black, Metallic or detail colors like flesh pink...) so they
spin and index into exact alignment over the print table with your
target product. And forget about half-tones, one screen per color.

You're lucky - with a hard painted surface, if you screw up in the
printing process you can take a rag and solvent, wipe off the ink, and
start over. When they screw up tee shirts, they're trash.

Should i totally drop the idea of embossing, or would it look more
professional then silk screen?

Embossing is only useful if you order the cases done that way from
the factory, they'll form them in one press shot. They'll get the die
geometry right so it doesn't crack around the letters, or warp, and
the paint (or powder-coat) will be done right so the finish sticks.

But that's a huge investment in tooling and case parts, because
they'll want to do a few hundred to a few thousand cases in each
manufacturing run - you want to fill a short container and ship in
bulk... You can have them done 10 at a time, but that will make each
case very expensive.

HP has the sheetmetal sides of their cases embossed, but they sell a
few million units a year, too. Spread the costs around that much,
order that many cases at a time, and the embossing is almost free.

Not that I've done some printing and silkscreen work in my past, or
anything... ;-)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Douglas Adams

Agreed. If you were spec-ing this from the factory.

But do you really think a $20 case from China will come with appropriate
coatings/elastomer papers for further pressing work?

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message

"Douglas Adams" wrote in message
Keep in mind you will be damaging the product finish (i.e. paint on

steel
cases). Embossing is usually done before the finishing process.

Douglas, an awful lot of post-finishing forming is done these days

through
the use of protective papers and elastomeric covers on the forming
equipment. Most pre-finished material is merely brake formed, but there

are
a number of items I've seen that were (lightly) embossed into pre-finished
coil stock.

There are a number of application specific surfacing materials with enough
elasticity to withstand the operations.

LLoyd

Koz

Mark wrote:

[...]

I don't believe you have ever mentioned your cost per unit budget.
Other options may be laser cutting/water jet cutting a logo from
stainless or acrylic and doing a glue on. There are also some companies
that do formed stampings as stickers that can look really good.

If you choose a case with removable flat side panels (rather than a
formed U case) you could probably water jet cut your logo as a
perforation and back it up with acrylic (and even those cool internal
lights for the real geeks).

If you are selling the high-end stuff, you logos incorporated as part of
the "cool factor" might make a little bigger investment worth it. Geeks
do seem to like spending on the flashy lights/"billet machined" look to
impress the other geeks. Hell, there are even people spending big bucks
for machined wood mice and wood computer replacement cases fabricated on
a CNC mill.

Koz (who starts wondering if the junkyard look of old pallet scrap wood
would make an interesting computer case)

On Tue, 03 May 2005 14:56:37 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

[...]

And if they arenice at all, and don't have your actual name on them,
you'll find them advertised in "asian computer source" magazine before
you get your first shipment

HP has the sheetmetal sides of their cases embossed, but they sell a
few million units a year, too. Spread the costs around that much,
order that many cases at a time, and the embossing is almost free.

Not that I've done some printing and silkscreen work in my past, or
anything... ;-)

-- Bruce --

Gunner

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:58:11 -0700, Koz
wrote:

Mark wrote:

[...]

It actually does. A friend made a case out of old wooden dynamite
crates. Looks pretty cool. Ill see if I can get a picture.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Wed, 04 May 2005 15:02:44 GMT
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

If you are selling the high-end stuff, you logos incorporated as part of
the "cool factor" might make a little bigger investment worth it. Geeks
do seem to like spending on the flashy lights/"billet machined" look to
impress the other geeks. Hell, there are even people spending big bucks
for machined wood mice and wood computer replacement cases fabricated on
a CNC mill.

Koz (who starts wondering if the junkyard look of old pallet scrap wood
would make an interesting computer case)

It actually does. A friend made a case out of old wooden dynamite
crates. Looks pretty cool. Ill see if I can get a picture.

There are sites out there which will show the occasional "odd mod".
The dual boot system which is housed in the box for Linux and Win XP. The
Manual Typewriter. The PC in the monitor.

OOh, shiney stuff: http://www.mini-itx.com/projects.asp#project0046

--
pyotr filipivich.
Carl

Here is an example of waterjet cut logos in computer cases:

http://www.customwatercuts.com/index.php

In a production environment, it would be pretty reasonable to cut the
sides of the case, provided you don't have a lot of different points
that need piercing (say limit the number of pierces to under 10 or so).
Since computer cases cut like butter, the cutting would be on the
order of 30 seconds to a few minutes each (or $1-$5) depending on the
complexity and number of pierces.

For high production, this is probably a bit too expensive, but for runs
of say 10 to 1000 cases, it may be reasonable.

For low volumes (1-10 cases), drawing the artwork and making the tool
path and setting up the machine and such add a lot of cost compared to
the very quick cutting, which is why a place like the above charges
much more money.

Carl

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 05 May 2005 15:12:30 GMT, the inscrutable pyotr filipivich
spake:

[...]

Your link led me he Now THAT is a computer case! domg
http://sae.cside.com/sae/kat/pc/ern0...ture/11-43.JPG
The whole buildup sequence:
http://sae.cside.com/sae/kat/pc/ern002/emaya.htm

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/ern005pc/ Maid to Order.
Whatta hoot!

Someone posted a link to a coffee-maker/computer a year or two ago
but I can't find it in my rebuilt bookmark file.

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

VOTE LIBERTARIAN OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.
Christopher Tidy

[...]

snip

Someone posted a link to a coffee-maker/computer a year or two ago
but I can't find it in my rebuilt bookmark file.

You're thinking of the legendary Espressigo:

http://reality.sgiweb.org/eile/espressigo/
http://reality.sgiweb.org/eile/espre...spressigo1.jpg

And don't forget it's brother the rOctane:

http://reality.sgiweb.org/eile/rOctane/index.html

Chris

Possible damage to computer and TV after installation by Comcast Subcontractors John Smith Home Ownership 4 November 5th 04 03:31 AM
listen to internet radio 2 rms away from computer - how? James Gussen Electronics Repair 2 September 30th 04 09:45 PM
Are PC surge protectors needed in the UK? greywolf42 Electronics Repair 82 July 13th 04 11:37 AM
HD foam for laptop case? T i m UK diy 42 April 23rd 04 02:59 PM
CNC computer c Metalworking 10 July 18th 03 04:31 AM