For Sale - 1918 South Bend Lathe, Model 40, 16inch Drive, 8' bed, with auto long/cross feed

Old April 26th 05, 06:11 AM
Chris

Default For Sale - 1918 South Bend Lathe, Model 40, 16inch Drive, 8' bed, with auto long/cross feed

I am looking to sell my lathe (noted in subject line). I know very
little about the lathe, or if I have all of the components. I do know I
have enough components for it to be used.

It was working prior to my tearing it down to ease removal from my
basement (I stripped the bed completely, legs and all, to lighten this
heaviest single part). The original motor is gone and I beleive the
previous owner modified the drive belt mechanism with an overhead
(supported off the bed) belt drive system. Also, the drive end reverse
and change gears were removed (I think I have all of them yet) and a
second 1/4 Hp motor/v-belt pulley system was attached to drive the
automatic longitudnal and cross feed units.

I contacted South Bend two years ago to get more info, but they don't
have a manual for that far back and could only offer that the unit was
delivered on 8-31-1918.

I am in the process of taking pics and will post them ASAP.
Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the lathe when it was together.

Looking for best offer and someone willing to pick it up from my house.
If interested, please contact me:
Chris Ryman
Aurora, Ohio

or
(work)

Old May 3rd 05, 04:28 AM
Chris

Since I hadn't received any replies to my post, I went and posted my
1918 Lathe "For Sale" on eBay (see Item # 6175191043). For anyone
interested, I finally took some pictures and they are posted on my eBay
item web page.

South Bend 9" Lathe: Bowl Turning Tool Rest? Brian Wells Woodturning 1 March 10th 04 05:50 AM
FS, South Bend Model A Precision 9" Lathe M Metalworking 0 October 17th 03 02:59 AM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
FS: Two 9" South Bend Model C Lathes in NJ Mlshaker Metalworking 0 August 7th 03 01:13 PM
South Bend lathe with bad babbit bearing ..help! Ken Moffett Metalworking 4 August 5th 03 05:52 AM