JohnM

Default need better-than-oil penetrating oil

Bill Watson wrote:

steamer wrote in message news:FBhOa.8828$%

--First try Kroil; then try RGS.

Try Cyclo Break-away (UAP)

I'll second the Break-Away, it seems to be a good balance between a
penetrating oil and a lubricant that'll not evaporate.

John

Bob Swinney

John,
Your "seconding" the Cyclo Break-away is as moot as any of the other
recommendations. There is no way to make a side-by-comparison of
penetrating oils. No two bolts, etc. are stuck in the same way. Once one
"gives" there is no further basis for comparison. I recommended Kroil as
did a majority of others. There is, however, no way I can suggest an
equitible test of Kroil. If Kroil wouldn't work and Cyclowhatchacallit did
work, then one conclusion was that Kroil did the premature loosening and
Cycloslick just finished it off. The same premise would, of course, be true
in reverse.
Bob Swinney

Bob Swinney
"JohnM" wrote in message
m...
Bill Watson wrote:

steamer wrote in message news:FBhOa.8828$%

--First try Kroil; then try RGS.

Try Cyclo Break-away (UAP)

I'll second the Break-Away, it seems to be a good balance between a
penetrating oil and a lubricant that'll not evaporate.

John

lcoe

Bob Swinney wrote:
John,
Your "seconding" the Cyclo Break-away is as moot as any of the other
recommendations. There is no way to make a side-by-comparison of
penetrating oils. No two bolts, etc. are stuck in the same way. Once one
"gives" there is no further basis for comparison. I recommended Kroil as
did a majority of others. There is, however, no way I can suggest an
equitible test of Kroil. If Kroil wouldn't work and Cyclowhatchacallit did

also, i have wondered (before aerosol cans) about volatile components. my
little can of Liquid Wrench lasted for years, but did seem to loose some
potency at the end. it was in the old style '3n1' can w/up-down spout.

--Loren

work, then one conclusion was that Kroil did the premature loosening and
Cycloslick just finished it off. The same premise would, of course, be true
in reverse.
Bob Swinney

Bob Swinney
"JohnM" wrote in message
m...
Bill Watson wrote:

steamer wrote in message news:FBhOa.8828$%

--First try Kroil; then try RGS.

Try Cyclo Break-away (UAP)

I'll second the Break-Away, it seems to be a good balance between a
penetrating oil and a lubricant that'll not evaporate.

John

Tim Williams

"Bob Swinney" wrote in message
et...
John,
Your "seconding" the Cyclo Break-away is as moot as any of the other
recommendations. There is no way to make a side-by-comparison of
penetrating oils. No two bolts, etc. are stuck in the same way.

Obviously, then, the comparison requires more exhaustive testing:
try 100 stuck nuts with each fluid and determine which worked best
(required torque, soak time, etc.).
Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"

Roy Hauer

So Tim, when do you want these samples sent to your lab?
I have an old piece of equipment out back that must have a 1000
5/16" fasteners in it, all rusted to beyond comprehension, I will
donate it to the cause. ;-) Shuld be more than enough similarly
rusted fasteners to get a decent comparison.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:46:31 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

x-"Bob Swinney" wrote in message
et...
x- John,
x- Your "seconding" the Cyclo Break-away is as moot as any of the other
x- recommendations. There is no way to make a side-by-comparison of
x- penetrating oils. No two bolts, etc. are stuck in the same way.
x-
x-Obviously, then, the comparison requires more exhaustive testing:
x-try 100 stuck nuts with each fluid and determine which worked best
x-(required torque, soak time, etc.).
x-s
x-Tim

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Tim Williams

"Roy Hauer" wrote in message
So Tim, when do you want these samples sent to your lab?
I have an old piece of equipment out back that must have a 1000
5/16" fasteners in it, all rusted to beyond comprehension, I will
donate it to the cause. ;-) Shuld be more than enough similarly
rusted fasteners to get a decent comparison.

As long as you give me the O/A torch and stick welder free along with
so I can do something with it afterwards

Tim

--
In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!"