Wooding

Default Specific query about Mitsubishi inverter - experts only.

I've got a Mitsubishi FR-S500 inverter (actual model FR-S520S) that I
want to use to control the speed of my milling machine (metal content
bit). I've jury-rigged it to use the setting dial to control the motor
speed and its working fine. I can control the speed from barely moving,
right up to twice normal speed.

I've wired up a remote switch to start, stop and reverse the motor as
shown in section 1.7.1 of the detailed instruction manual
[IB(NA)-0600027] under the heading "Two-wire type connection (STF,
STR)", but it doesn't work. Connecting SD to STF or STR has no apparent
effect at all. I've tried it in PU and EXT mode, and still nothing.
The only parameters changed from the factory settings shown in the
manual are...
P1 100
P7 0.5
P8 0.5
P30 1
P53 1
Can anyone help please?

--

Regards, Gary Wooding
carl mciver

"Wooding" wrote in message
| I've got a Mitsubishi FR-S500 inverter (actual model FR-S520S) that I
| want to use to control the speed of my milling machine (metal content
| bit). I've jury-rigged it to use the setting dial to control the motor
| speed and its working fine. I can control the speed from barely moving,
| right up to twice normal speed.
|
| I've wired up a remote switch to start, stop and reverse the motor as
| shown in section 1.7.1 of the detailed instruction manual
| [IB(NA)-0600027] under the heading "Two-wire type connection (STF,
| STR)", but it doesn't work. Connecting SD to STF or STR has no apparent
| effect at all. I've tried it in PU and EXT mode, and still nothing.

Not a specific answer, but many inverters require shielded wire to the
controls. I won an argument with my boss one time 'cuz he thought he could
get away with twisted pair. It actually worked until you turned everything
else in the area on, though, giving him that false sense of confidence and
me a little doubt.

ATP*

"Wooding" wrote in message
[...]

Read through the manual explaining the parameter settings. Check any that
are relevant. Chances are something else has to be changed. There is always
a parameter for the type of control, is that correct? Sometimes jumpers are
also required.

Larry Naumann

I am not familiar with this particular inverter but I have programmed a few
of a different brand. Maybe you need to tell it to take commands from the
terminal strip. the ones I program have such a parameter.
Hope this helps
Larry
"Wooding" wrote in message
[...]

Wooding

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

If those parameters match those in the FR-A manual I have here, there's
at least one more you need to set. P79 for the FR-A is "Operation Mode",
you should have something identical or very similar. I could probably be
more help if you can point to an online manual specific to your drive.

The Mitsubishi drives are very good, but the docs are awful. They
provide good phone or email tech support if you're really stuck.

Ned Simmons

The comment about shielded wires is certainly pertinent and is mentioned
in the manual, but that's not where the problem is. I'm also certain
that one of the 100 parameters holds the key, but I can't find it.

P79 for the FR-S500 is, indeed, called "Operation mode selection". I
tried setting it to values which seemed appropriate (0, 1 or 3), but
still nothing. The 2 manuals I'm using (S520 User Manual (basic) and
S520 User Manual (detailed)) can be found as PDFs at
http://www.newton-tesla.com/downloads/index.htm

Thanks for your attention.

--

Regards, Gary Wooding
Wooding

Wooding wrote:
[...]

Thanks to those who responded.
The problem is now solved. Although the manual was quite explicit about
the size of the flat-bladed screwdriver needed to tighten the terminals,
it was particularly coy about what terminals to connect. The wiring
diagram shows SD as the common input, but hidden away in another section
of the manual is the important note that SD is only the common input
when using SINK logic. Here in UK it is wired to use source logic and
the common input is changed to PC. With P79 set to 3 and PC as the
common input it now works fine.
Ned was quite right - "The Mitsubishi drives are very good, but the docs
are awful."

--

Regards, Gary Wooding