William Danielson

Default recmd to mark steel part with changing lot code?

I'd like some suggestions on the best way to mark a lot code on
stamped steel part. Its a drawn steel wheel half used to make a golf
cart wheel. We need to put a code on the bare steel part indicating
date of manf and the steel coil number it was made from. We will
probably need to change the code a few times a shift since we change
coils that often.

I was leaning toward a Telesis pin marking engraving device in a
separate marking station with some kind of automated load/unload pick
and place mechanism. A colleague suggests adding marking punches to
the forming die. Can anyone suggest a tooling supplier of such a
device that is quickly changeable, since we will have to change the
coil number code about 3 times per shift.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Doug Danielson

recmd to mark steel part with changing lot code?
Bing

"William Danielson" wrote in message
m...
I'd like some suggestions on the best way to mark a lot code on
stamped steel part. Its a drawn steel wheel half used to make a golf
cart wheel. We need to put a code on the bare steel part indicating
date of manf and the steel coil number it was made from. We will
probably need to change the code a few times a shift since we change
coils that often.

I was leaning toward a Telesis pin marking engraving device in a
separate marking station with some kind of automated load/unload pick
and place mechanism. A colleague suggests adding marking punches to
the forming die. Can anyone suggest a tooling supplier of such a
device that is quickly changeable, since we will have to change the
coil number code about 3 times per shift.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

We used to dot peen that kind of stuff, but you could make a punch insert up
yerself easy enough.

I dont have any links to die stamps, but you might find this informative.
You could make something like this but in male form.
http://www.pcs-company.com/MoldComponents_date.htm

I've also made our own. A sleeve with the major markings, keyed in and a
core pin in the center with a velour screw in the back and ridges to locate.
I put an o-ring in-between the pin heel and the sleeve counterbore to hold
it. There is a small screwdriver slot in the top of the pin to rotate until
the markings line up.

HTH
Bing

john

William Danielson wrote:

I'd like some suggestions on the best way to mark a lot code on
stamped steel part. Its a drawn steel wheel half used to make a golf
cart wheel. We need to put a code on the bare steel part indicating
date of manf and the steel coil number it was made from. We will
probably need to change the code a few times a shift since we change
coils that often.

I was leaning toward a Telesis pin marking engraving device in a
separate marking station with some kind of automated load/unload pick
and place mechanism. A colleague suggests adding marking punches to
the forming die. Can anyone suggest a tooling supplier of such a
device that is quickly changeable, since we will have to change the
coil number code about 3 times per shift.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Doug Danielson

recmd to mark steel part with changing lot code?

Depending on how formal you want to mark the part you could use a code
of marks ground on the stamping die which would appear on the stamped
part or even get a stamp for the die.

John
William Danielson

Gunner wrote in message . ..
On 30 Jun 2003 07:21:33 -0700, (William
Danielson) wrote:

I'd like some suggestions on the best way to mark a lot code on
stamped steel part. Its a drawn steel wheel half used to make a golf
cart wheel. We need to put a code on the bare steel part indicating
date of manf and the steel coil number it was made from. We will
probably need to change the code a few times a shift since we change
coils that often.

I was leaning toward a Telesis pin marking engraving device in a
separate marking station with some kind of automated load/unload pick
and place mechanism. A colleague suggests adding marking punches to
the forming die. Can anyone suggest a tooling supplier of such a
device that is quickly changeable, since we will have to change the
coil number code about 3 times per shift.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Doug Danielson

recmd to mark steel part with changing lot code?

http://www.richardsonbus.com/product...nchor-Do-34020

http://www.infordata.it/italiano/PMS.htm

http://www.deterco.com/products/Mecco/mecco.htm

http://www.mercurymarking.com/Product_line.htm

For just a few.

Email me for the name of a guy whom is VERY good at automation of
parts pickers

Gunner

"No man shall be debarred the use of arms.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm those only who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants.
They ought to be designated as laws not preventative but fearful of crimes,
produced by the tumultuous impression of a few isolated facts, and not by
thoughtful consideration of the inconveniences and advantages of a universal decree."
- Thomas Jefferson

Gunner,

Thanks for those links, they are very applicable. Here are more
detailed reqs of mine:

My reqs a

Total Cycle time: 7 sec
1018 steel, .070 in thick
matl code: 12345 5 digits long
part # 12345678 8 digits long
must print both on each part
matl code will change 4 times per shift, at each coil change want to
stamp bare steel, but have it readable after powder painting

Do you think I am better off with a separate marking station with an
auto load/unload system, or should we try to fit low tech number
wheels into the die like one of the vendors you showed me sells?

Thaks again for the good advice,

Doug Danielson
William Danielson

"Bing" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bing,

Thanks for the link to the cool date stamping die inserts.

Do you prefer the stamp in die to the, I suppose, external dot peening
gadgets? I'm sure the stamps are cheaper, are there other reasons you
prefer that approach.

Thanks,

Doug Danielson