Martin Whybrow

Default Lifting table from milling machine

The ongoing saga of my (originally) cheap Sturdimill 1250 continues!
I've discovered that the manually operated way-lube pump on the table is not
connected to anything after operating the pump and lubricating nothing but
my shoe. There is supposed to be a pipe from the pump output to a manifold
buried underneath the table; unfortunately the pipe from the manifold ends
about 6" from the pump and there is no way to replace or join the pipe
without removing the table. The table is 50" x 10" x approx. 2" deep, so I
figure it weighs less than 300lbs (not accounting for the missing metal in
the T slots), so I can lift it with my 550lb hoist. It appears that I need
to unbolt the 2 leadscrew bearing plates from either end of the table, slide
out the taper gib and the table is then free to lift; have I missed
anything? Will the dovetail, at its widest point (where the gib is
thinnest), lift out of the mating dovetail on the knee? Does anyone have
experience lifting the table from a similar size mill and care to comment on
the pitfalls of doing this?
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Grant Erwin

Martin Whybrow wrote:
[...]

You shouldn't have to lift it off. Bring up a table and sit it next to
your mill table. Adjust the knee height so it matches. Remove the handles
and lead screw and slide the table off onto the other table. - GWE

Martin Whybrow

Martin Whybrow wrote:
[...]

I guess you mean slide it sideways onto a table; I'll measure this up
tomorrow, there should enough room to slide the table fully out of the
knee, bearing in mind that the mill is positioned across the corner of my
garage; I just need to find a sufficiently high (33") and sufficiently
strong table. Is there any reason to do it this way, given that my hoist
should have the capacity to lift the table?
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Grant Erwin

You shouldn't have to lift it off. Bring up a table and sit it next to
your mill table. Adjust the knee height so it matches. Remove the handles
and lead screw and slide the table off onto the other table. - GWE

I guess you mean slide it sideways onto a table; I'll measure this up
tomorrow, there should enough room to slide the table fully out of the
knee, bearing in mind that the mill is positioned across the corner of my
garage; I just need to find a sufficiently high (33") and sufficiently
strong table. Is there any reason to do it this way, given that my hoist
should have the capacity to lift the table?
Martin

It has to go sideways anyways, right, to get it off the dovetailed ways?
I've done it both ways, with a hoist and with a table, and I recommend the
table. The hoist wasn't easy to connect solidly to the table. I used T-nuts
threaded with hoist rings and they tended to slide. And this was a wimpy
little Bridgeport table. You don't want a big mill table turning on its
end in midair on ya. Anyway, if you see a good way to do it with your hoist
have at it, will probably work fine. - GWE