Default Magnifying lamp with all metal base

I'm looking for something similar to that in the link below in the
price range $40.00 - $70.00 **with an all metal base**. Any
recommendations?

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/105...6212/ccsyn/260

Gone through 3 or 4 from Staples and Office Depot that lasted no more
than a few months because the base was made of plastic. Basically, the
peg or stud on the base that fits in the mounting clamp just breaks
off. After that they are useless unless one improvises. Online searches
return many but it's difficult to tell what you're really getting even
if you ask someone at the store.

Gunner

On 8 Apr 2005 08:22:32 -0700, wrote:

I'm looking for something similar to that in the link below in the
price range $40.00 - $70.00 **with an all metal base**. Any
recommendations?

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/105...6212/ccsyn/260

Gone through 3 or 4 from Staples and Office Depot that lasted no more
than a few months because the base was made of plastic. Basically, the
peg or stud on the base that fits in the mounting clamp just breaks
off. After that they are useless unless one improvises. Online searches
return many but it's difficult to tell what you're really getting even
if you ask someone at the store.

Why not machine a new base?

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Why not machine a new base?

Last resort option. Probably it wasn't clear from my previous post but
the lamp in the link has an all metal base, unfortunately it costs
$110.00. So they're out there somewhere. Have one identical to it that
cost me around $55.00 12 years ago but last night one of the members
broke (due to rust). Was able to remove a member from one of the POS
Staples lamps with the broken base and replace it so I'm good for now.
But ideally I've always wanted two of these lamps to fully cover my
work area.

Larry Jaques

On 8 Apr 2005 08:22:32 -0700, the inscrutable spake:

I'm looking for something similar to that in the link below in the
price range $40.00 - $70.00 **with an all metal base**. Any
recommendations?

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/105...6212/ccsyn/260

Gone through 3 or 4 from Staples and Office Depot that lasted no more
than a few months because the base was made of plastic. Basically, the
peg or stud on the base that fits in the mounting clamp just breaks
off. After that they are useless unless one improvises. Online searches
return many but it's difficult to tell what you're really getting even
if you ask someone at the store.

One solution is to drill a hole in the table you're mounting it to.
I have the $35 HF version of that lamp and it has lasted for years.
It can be swaped into the assembly table, the indoor shop countertop,
and the mortising bench, wherever I need it at the time.

Alternatively, fabricate (or have one fabricated) a metal mount for
it.

--
A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer...nobody
bothered to check the oil; We just didn't
know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical
- our OIL is located in Alaska, California,
Oklahoma and Texas.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington, DC.
Don Foreman

On 8 Apr 2005 08:22:32 -0700, wrote:

I'm looking for something similar to that in the link below in the
price range $40.00 - $70.00 **with an all metal base**. Any
recommendations?

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/105...6212/ccsyn/260

Gone through 3 or 4 from Staples and Office Depot that lasted no more
than a few months because the base was made of plastic. Basically, the
peg or stud on the base that fits in the mounting clamp just breaks
off. After that they are useless unless one improvises. Online searches
return many but it's difficult to tell what you're really getting even
if you ask someone at the store.

$110 for one of those lamps is outrageous. I bought one a couple of
years ago, with metal base, for $39 at Menards.

I think I've seen such lamps at JoAnn Fabrics. I don't know if
they're metal or plastic, but it would be easy to check in the store.
If they look good, then find a quilter or get on their mailing list.
They send out 40% off coupons quite frequently to their "frequent
shoppers". The coupons exclude sewing machines, but they do honor
them for lamps. I bought an Ott "true color" lamp for my elex
bench.

Tove Momerathsson

I'm looking for something similar to that in the link below in the
price range $40.00 - $70.00 **with an all metal base**. Any
recommendations?

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/105...6212/ccsyn/260

Gone through 3 or 4 from Staples and Office Depot that lasted no more
than a few months because the base was made of plastic. Basically, the
peg or stud on the base that fits in the mounting clamp just breaks
off. After that they are useless unless one improvises. Online searches
return many but it's difficult to tell what you're really getting even
if you ask someone at the store.

I've got a few magnifying lights (though with incandescent bulbs) that
are task lights essentially permanently mounted at various places in the
shop. Made stands from 1/2" pipe bored out to take a bronze bushing to
fit the peg on the lamp, screwed into a floor flange that in turn is
screwed to the workbench.

Tove
Mike Henry

Have you looked at Waldmann?

http://www2.waldmann.com/WGAPublishe...en-5mtbjy.en.0

It's been a while since I've checked but they used to sell demos or closouts
on Ebay at pretty good prices. I picked up something like the Rll 122 T for
around $30 that way a while back.

Mike

oups.com...