Mikepier

Default correct sprinklers for arborvitae

I am putting 7 arborvitae plants about 2 feet tall between the concrete
patio and a fence in my backyard (total length 22 feet). I have an
existing sprinkler pipe with 2 risers and shrub heads running along the
same length, in the dirt along the edge of the concrete patio.
I have 2 questions:
1) What are the proper heads I need for these arborvitae? Does the
entire plant need to be watered or just the roots?
2) I would like to relocate the sprinkler pipe from in front of the
plants to the back, along the fence so you can't see the risers and
heads. It is easy since the existing pipe is only 1 inch below the
surface. Any pros or cons to doing this?

William W. Plummer

Mikepier wrote:

I am putting 7 arborvitae plants about 2 feet tall between the concrete
patio and a fence in my backyard (total length 22 feet). I have an
existing sprinkler pipe with 2 risers and shrub heads running along the
same length, in the dirt along the edge of the concrete patio.
I have 2 questions:
1) What are the proper heads I need for these arborvitae? Does the
entire plant need to be watered or just the roots?
2) I would like to relocate the sprinkler pipe from in front of the
plants to the back, along the fence so you can't see the risers and
heads. It is easy since the existing pipe is only 1 inch below the
surface. Any pros or cons to doing this?

arborvitae are next to weeds. They don't require much care at all. I
just trim mine once a year to shape them, and if it has been a bad
winter I know the snow off. No watering, no fertilizer. Quick
growing, nearly ideal plants.

"arborvitae are next to weeds. They don't require much care at all.
just trim mine once a year to shape them, and if it has been a bad
winter I know the snow off. No watering, no fertilizer. Quick
growing, nearly ideal plants. "

I'd agree with that, for the average US climate. Of course, if he's in
AZ, that's another story. They will need to be receive water at least
once a week for the first year though.

Norminn

Mikepier wrote:
I am putting 7 arborvitae plants about 2 feet tall between the concrete
patio and a fence in my backyard (total length 22 feet). I have an
existing sprinkler pipe with 2 risers and shrub heads running along the
same length, in the dirt along the edge of the concrete patio.
I have 2 questions:
1) What are the proper heads I need for these arborvitae? Does the
entire plant need to be watered or just the roots?
2) I would like to relocate the sprinkler pipe from in front of the
plants to the back, along the fence so you can't see the risers and
heads. It is easy since the existing pipe is only 1 inch below the
surface. Any pros or cons to doing this?

You can change the risers and put soaker heads in, if you like. For the
sake of maintenance, it would be easier to keep the pipe along the
patio. Digging behind a row of shrubs to repair a broken pipe or head
would not be fun. For most plants, it is not rec. to water the foliage.
Put water on the roots, and mulch to retain moisture and keep weeds down.

Correct abrasive wheel for grinding bearing track? Roger R UK diy 4 March 16th 05 04:49 PM
Correct glue for DPM? Paul King UK diy 6 February 20th 05 11:50 PM
Correct way to wire in an electric oven TonyJeffs UK diy 5 October 25th 03 02:03 PM
Gas Weedeater not working when tank is on bottom (correct cutting position) Patch Home Repair 0 July 2nd 03 08:42 PM