Posted to alt.home.repair

Default when to put in new antifreeze\coolant

I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 5:36:05 AM UTC-5, herb white wrote:

I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.

I have it changed about 2 or 3 years keeping an eye on the reservoir if it should need any.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 03:36:01 -0700 (PDT), herb white
wrote:

I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.

I've never had a goal of more often than 2 years, and for a long time,
I've not met that goal either.

I don't drive many miles, but I buy my cars 7 years old and keep them
until theyt're 14. The last one lasted until it was 16 years old,
and it was the only one with substantial cooling problems but they were
not caused by failure to change the coolant often enough. (It's a long
story)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 5:36:05 AM UTC-5, herb white wrote:
I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/0...oolant-go-bad/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 6:25:29 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

(It's a long story)

Thank you!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/20/2015 04:36 AM, herb white wrote:
I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.

How often does the vehicle's manufacturer recommend? They might know
something about the matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 9:56:00 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 04/20/2015 04:36 AM, herb white wrote:
I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.

How often does the vehicle's manufacturer recommend? They might know
something about the matter.

That's one source. All cars today come with extended, long-life
antifreeze. According the antifreeze suppliers, it's good for
at least 5 years, 100K miles. I sure wouldn't be changing it
every year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2015 6:36 AM, herb white wrote:
I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.

RTFM to see what you have. Many are now designed for 5 years or even
lifetime. I've gone much longer with no problems. Last four cars I
never changed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 4/20/2015 6:36 AM, herb white wrote:
I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult
for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and
refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.

RTFM to see what you have. Many are now designed for 5 years or even
lifetime. I've gone much longer with no problems. Last four cars I never
changed it.

The last few cars I have had have not had the coolant changed. I had a 92
camry and chnaged it once when I had the timming belt and water pump changed
at 80,000, then I traded it off at 190,000 miles. Two others had slightly
over 100,000 on them with no coolant changed.

If the coolant needs more added, it is always with the 50/50 mix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have allways changed antifreeze annually but now it is very difficult for me to get under the van. How often do y`all recommend draining and refilling the radiator? Thanks for any reply.

Depends on the antifreeze. I would not change it before 3 years
minimum. If the car isn't driven much 5 years would be ok. That
assumes regular Green Antifreeze. I see many newer formulations of
"long life green" types that say up to 150,000 miles. Don't recall
how many years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I test antifreeze with PH strips. When it gets acidic it is time for a
change.
You can also test antifreeze with a multimeter. Set your volt meter for
DC. Put one lead in the antifreeze and the other on the metal shell of
the radiator. If you measure a couple of volts (like 2 volts or so) it
could be time for a change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 21:32:56 -0400, Paul Marks wrote:

I test antifreeze with PH strips. When it gets acidic it is time for a
change.
You can also test antifreeze with a multimeter. Set your volt meter for
DC. Put one lead in the antifreeze and the other on the metal shell of
the radiator. If you measure a couple of volts (like 2 volts or so) it
could be time for a change.

Very interesting. I'lll try that.

Thanks.

I was supposed to change my coolant last fall,. maybe. Unless it has
the long-life stuff in it. It's a toyota and the fluid is red, but I
dont' think that proves anything.

coolant antifreeze Karl Townsend Metalworking 5 September 2nd 14 09:12 AM
Antifreeze Q Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 28 October 25th 13 10:40 AM
fa: nice little lubrication pump (coolant? maybe it will do coolant?) or tapping oil Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 0 July 12th 10 08:09 AM
When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze? Wayne Whitney Home Repair 4 December 1st 05 07:43 AM
When/How Can I Paint Over Antifreeze? wkearney99 Home Repair 1 November 28th 05 05:53 PM