orangetrader

Default Can I lay tile on top of existing tile in a shower?

Have a shower with wall tiles from floor to ceiling. The wall tiles are
fine, the floor tiles I like to replace. I don't want to damage the shower
pan underneath, so is it possible to lay new tiles on top of the existing
tiles (which seems to be solid). If so, do I need to apply some sort of
impervious layer first before laying second layer? Do I need to use some
special thinset? The existing tiles are small, 1"x1" ceramic tiles, I would
like to replace with even smaller stone mosiac tiles (the ones you buy that
comes in a 12x12 sheet).

The other question will be the shower drain. The new tiles will raise the
floor level in the shower which is not a problem - the curb is 8" tall now.
But the drain will be lower than the floor. Should I raise the drain (if so
how?) or do something else?

Thanks,

G Henslee

orangetrader wrote:
Have a shower with wall tiles from floor to ceiling. The wall tiles are
fine, the floor tiles I like to replace. I don't want to damage the shower
pan underneath, so is it possible to lay new tiles on top of the existing
tiles (which seems to be solid). If so, do I need to apply some sort of
impervious layer first before laying second layer? Do I need to use some
special thinset? The existing tiles are small, 1"x1" ceramic tiles, I would
like to replace with even smaller stone mosiac tiles (the ones you buy that
comes in a 12x12 sheet).

The other question will be the shower drain. The new tiles will raise the
floor level in the shower which is not a problem - the curb is 8" tall now.
But the drain will be lower than the floor. Should I raise the drain (if so
how?) or do something else?

Thanks,

orangetrader,

There are membrane products that can be used to provide the impervious
layer you mentioned. I believe Ultraset, which is made by one of the
thinset manufacturers is one of them and can be spread and allowed to
set up hard before tiling over it. I inquired about such a product for
another purpose but you probably should check with a tile store.

I've seen drain extensions before. Surely these wewre made for just the
reason you need it, because thhey seemed to be about the thickness of a
tile. They were 2 or 3 piece incl. a metal ring, a square frame to go
around it, and a flat strainer. IIRC they were chrome or antique brass
in finish.

m Ransley

If you go over it you need very good prep, a very good cleaning, bleach
to kill mold and acid etch.