Jack Allen

Default Water filter

I'm new at this game so I definitely need assistance. I want to get a water
filter system that will filter my drinking water at the tap and also filter
the water going into my refrigerator. Can someone recommend a type and
brand?

Joseph Meehan

Jack Allen wrote:
I'm new at this game so I definitely need assistance. I want to get
a water filter system that will filter my drinking water at the tap
and also filter the water going into my refrigerator. Can someone
recommend a type and brand?

Step one. Identify the problem.

Why do you want a water filter? Different filters for different
problems. Without a problem, you don't need a filter. Most people don't
need a filter.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

SQLit

"Jack Allen" wrote in message
I'm new at this game so I definitely need assistance. I want to get a

water
filter system that will filter my drinking water at the tap and also

filter
the water going into my refrigerator. Can someone recommend a type and
brand?

I use an whole house sediment filter. Keeps the lawn sprinklers and the pool
running better. I change the filter out quarterly, looks like a cigarette
filter each time. Pretty depressing that I would have been drinking,
showering or washing with that water.
I use a simple ice maker filter for drinking water and another filter ahead
of my refrigerator. Replacing the external filter is a lot cheaper and
easier than the one in my refer.

I researched and found the common causes of pollutants in my city water.
Then bought filters that would solve those problems.

Buck Turgidson

"Jack Allen" wrote in message
I'm new at this game so I definitely need assistance. I want to get a

water
filter system that will filter my drinking water at the tap and also

filter
the water going into my refrigerator. Can someone recommend a type and
brand?

I have an Omni under-the-sink filter for the kitchen tap. It has 2 stage
filters. I notice a big difference in taste and clarity with it. Plus, I
have small kids and lead solder, so it hopefully helps there. Although just
running the tap for a minute or two probably clears the lead. You can buy
different filters in different combinations for whatever problem you're
trying to address. Some can filter asbestos and MTBE. Reverse osmosis
systems are supposedly the best, but they're more expensive and require a
tank under the cabinet.

I also purchased a GE brand in-line filter for the icemaker in my fridge.
You just splice it into the copper line.

You can get a whole-house system, but in my case it would be filtering
before the lead solder. And I see no point in washing clothes, cars,
dishes, in filtered water.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jack Allen" wrote in message
I'm new at this game so I definitely need assistance. I want to get a
water filter system that will filter my drinking water at the tap and also
filter the water going into my refrigerator. Can someone recommend a type
and brand?

You want a charcoal filter cartridge. There are a few types available that
will suit your needs. The most cost effective is one that goes in the cold
water line tot he kitchen sink and is ahead of where the fridge is tapped
off. That way, one filter does both. You don't need to filter the hot
water or the entire house.

I have an Ista-Pur from Water Pic, but many other brands exist. Most are
fairly simple to install with minimal tools, and no soldering. Often
referred to as "under sink" they can be installed in the basement if that is
easier to get to.

If the refrigerator tap is before the kitchen line, you can use an in-line
filter for that.

Jag Man

I installed the Everpure ROM II about 8-9 years ago. It has two
cartridges,
one of which is Reverse Osmosis (RO) and the other is a prefilter. The
prefilter
removes chlorine and dirt kinds of things, both of which would harm
the RO
cartridge. The RO removes dissolved solids. The system produces
excellent
drinking water. And, not wanting anything less in iced drinks, I ran a
line up through the wall, through the atttic, and down to the
refrigerator
ice maker. There is a bit of sticker shock with this system, but IMHO
you will find none better. The cartridges are also expensive, but they
need to be replaced very seldom, at least in our area. As I recall,
I've replaced the
RO cartridge twich since installing it, the first time probably
unnecessarily
since I had not yet bought the dissolved solids tester to see when
it's needed.

As a separate issue, we have a water softener processes all the water
going
to indoor taps, hot and cold. This keeps deposits off shower walls
and sinks.
We used Kenmore softeners for years, but the last time I put a system
together
myself using a Clack WS-1 valve. I really like it.

Ed

"Jack Allen" wrote in message
I'm new at this game so I definitely need assistance. I want to get

a water
filter system that will filter my drinking water at the tap and also

filter
the water going into my refrigerator. Can someone recommend a type

and
brand?

Joseph Meehan

Jack Allen wrote:
Well I don't have city water. I just want a good tasting water to
drink. And since I drink 1/2 gallon of iced tea each day, I want the
ice cubes to taste the same.

You should have your water tested by a legit testing outfit (not Sears
or a water treatment company) You may have a local government agency that
will do that for you. Without know what the problem is, it is difficult to
fix it.

You could just try a few and hope one works.

You may want to take a look at the Consumer Reports magazines at your
library (free) or on line. I don't recall if they have done a report on
them recently but it would be worth a try.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

HeyBub

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Jack Allen wrote:
I'm new at this game so I definitely need assistance. I want to get
a water filter system that will filter my drinking water at the tap
and also filter the water going into my refrigerator. Can someone
recommend a type and brand?

Step one. Identify the problem.

Why do you want a water filter? Different filters for different
problems. Without a problem, you don't need a filter. Most people
don't need a filter.

NEED is irrelevant. He WANTS a water filter.

Jag Man

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

You should have your water tested by a legit testing outfit (not

Sears
or a water treatment company) You may have a local government

agency that
will do that for you. Without know what the problem is, it is

difficult to
fix it.

Yes. As a matter of fact, we get annual reports from our water
district. I believe they are required by law,
state or federal. From it you can see what filtration stages might be
a good idea.
For example, you can see if you need a stage to remove the bad
volatile stuff (VOC). Our report
shows very low in that area, so I skipped that stage.

That said, though, it really does come down to a matter of taste and
preferences,
at least in developed areas, since laws require the water to be safe.
But the
laws do not require it to taste good.

One interesting point I learned when getting into these issues: the
water district
advises AGAINST the RO filtration systems. This is because chlorine
must be removed
to avoid destroying the membrane. Moreover, the RO filters are almost
always
(maybe always?) very low flow, so a storage tank is required (about 5
gallons).
So, you have 5 gallons of unchlorinated water sitting in that tank and
you go on vacation
for a month. It is possible for something to get started growing in
there, and
the water folks will point this out if you call them and ask what they
think about these
systems. If you insist on putting them in anyway, as we did, you are
advised to
get in the habit of draining the tank and putting in a few drops of
chlorine once in
a while, especially after an long vacation.

Ed

Joseph Meehan

Jack Allen wrote:
I agree. I don't need someone to tell me I have a problem when the
taste of the water tells me there is a problem.

Please don't take me wrong. I did not say YOU did not need a filter. I
said you need to define a problem before selecting a filter and when I wrote
that you have not provided any indication that you had defined the problem
or what that problem might be. I might add that bad taste can be many
different problems.

As for my comment that if you don't have a problem you don't need a
filter; I believe it was a valid comment. I do not know you and you had
not provided enough information for me to know what you were not just
another poor consumer that had be caught up in that big advertising net.

Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Jack Allen wrote:
I'm new at this game so I definitely need assistance. I want to
get a water filter system that will filter my drinking water at
the tap and also filter the water going into my refrigerator. Can
someone recommend a type and brand?

Step one. Identify the problem.

Why do you want a water filter? Different filters for different
problems. Without a problem, you don't need a filter. Most people
don't need a filter.

NEED is irrelevant. He WANTS a water filter.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Jack Allen

Since I have well water, no government agency tests my water nor is chlorine
introduced into the system. I think I prefer the RO system. And what you
said seemed to be good advice, one that I would adhere to.

"Jag Man" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jack Allen" wrote in message

Since I have well water, no government agency tests my water nor is
chlorine introduced into the system. I think I prefer the RO system. And
what you said seemed to be good advice, one that I would adhere to.

Many refrigerators with an ice maker state not to use it with an RO system.
Something about tee pressure drops and the solenoid valve for the ice
maker. You may want to check that out beforehand.

RO is probably the best way to purify the water, but some people say it
tastes too flat as all the minerals have been removed.

Jag Man

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...
Many refrigerators with an ice maker state not to use it with an RO

system.
Something about tee pressure drops and the solenoid valve for the

ice
maker. You may want to check that out beforehand.

There was nothing to that effect when we installed our GE refrigerator
& Everpure system
in 1996. They must be responding to complaints, but we have had no
problems.
Which is more than I can say for the old Kenmore without RO water, for
which we replaced
the icemaker several times due to buildup of deposits. No such buildup
occurs
with RO.

RO is probably the best way to purify the water, but some people say

it
tastes too flat as all the minerals have been removed.

No accounting for tastes :-) We like it. Rather than shelling out
for a 2nd RO
unit we put an Everpure single-cartridge system in the master bath 2
years ago.
It's an HR 100 as I recall, supposedly used in restaurants etc. for
soft drink
make-up water and coffee. Probably an activated carbon filter
basically.
In the middle of the night we still wander down the hallway
to get a drink in the kitchen! In our remodel of the other bathroom,
now in progress,
I will tap off the line to the refrigerator so our guests will get the
good stuff!

Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jag Man" wrote in message
. com...

There was nothing to that effect when we installed our GE refrigerator
& Everpure system
in 1996. They must be responding to complaints, but we have had no
problems.
Which is more than I can say for the old Kenmore without RO water, for
which we replaced
the icemaker several times due to buildup of deposits. No such buildup
occurs
with RO.

From the GE manual;
When connecting your refrigerator to a GE

Reverse Osmosis Water System, the only

approved installation is with a GE RVKit. For

other reverse osmosis water systems, follow

the manufacturer’s recommendations.

If the water supply to the refrigerator is from

a Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System

AND the refrigerator also has a water filter,

use the refrigerator’s filter bypass plug. Using

the refrigerator’s water filtration cartridge in

conjunction with the RO filter can result in

hollow ice cubes and slower water flow from

the water dispenser.

This is from the KA manual.

IMPORTANT: The pressure of the water supply coming out of a

reverse osmosis system going to the water inlet valve of the

refrigerator needs to be between 30 and 120 psi (207 - 827 kPa).

If a reverse osmosis water filtration system is connected to your

cold water supply, the water pressure to the reverse osmosis

system needs to be a minimum of 40 to 60 psi (276 - 414 kPa).

If the water pressure to the reverse osmosis system is less than

40 to 60 psi (276 - 414 kPa):

 Check to see whether the sediment filter in the reverse

osmosis system is blocked. Replace the filter if necessary.

 Allow the storage tank on the reverse osmosis system to refill

after heavy usage.

 If your refrigerator has a water filter cartridge, it may further

reduce the water pressure when used in conjunction with a

reverse osmosis system. Remove the water filter cartridge.

See “Water Filtration System.”

Goedjn

RO is probably the best way to purify the water, but some people say it
tastes too flat as all the minerals have been removed.

Pretty easy to put them back in, though.

Jack Allen

And how would that be?

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM