trader-of-some-jacks

Default Slight garbage disposal leak

We have an Insinkerator disposal. Coming out of one side is a plumbing
projection, that feeds into a pipe that takes the water to the drain in
our other sink, then away. There's a gasket fitting between the
disposal projection and the other pipe, and the projection and the pipe
are held together with a threaded connector.

Every now and then, there are a small number of drips - maybe 2-3 per
minute - coming from this connection point. So I'll loosen the threaded
connector, reseat the gasket, retighten the connector, run lots of
water, observe no drips, and then we're fine until the next time it
happens.

This tends to happen after the disposal handles a particularly heavy
task, like chicken bones (something that, from all I've read, is
recommended now and then for the disposal), and this is a model
heavy-duty enough to handle bones. I guess the extra shaking and
vibration in the disposal unit messes the connection up.

Last year, we had water pouring at a higher rate (probably 50
drips/minute) from the connection for a couple months before I noticed
it; it really made a mess. I don't feel like constantly looking and
feeling under the sink to check for drips and water.

Is there an easy way I can fix the connection to better ensure no drips?
Right now, it's just the gasket (the positioning of which is tricky; I
usually have to do it a few times to get it right) and the connector.
There's no putty, teflon tape, caulk, anything like that, holding stuff
together.
BobK207

My guesses:
the disposal housing "socket" might imperfection that the rubber
cannot seal

or mybe the gasket itself is damaged, maybe a nick or cut

I sugest you take it aprt & carefully examine the components

I often use a silicone vacuum grease on stuff like this. I have
installed about 10 Insinkerator disposals over the years (mostly 333 or
555's to replace old ones or a crappy Badger type) never had this type
of leak. This connection should seal properly.

btw I put all the stuff under the sink in two plastic bins (one on
under eacj sink). If I need to work under the sink & can remove all
the junk by simp-ly pulling the two bins. Plus if there is a leak it
goes into a bin.

how old is the unit?

cheers
Bob

trader-of-some-jacks

In article . com,
"BobK207" wrote:

My guesses:
the disposal housing "socket" might imperfection that the rubber
cannot seal

or mybe the gasket itself is damaged, maybe a nick or cut

I sugest you take it aprt & carefully examine the components

I often use a silicone vacuum grease on stuff like this. I have
installed about 10 Insinkerator disposals over the years (mostly 333 or
555's to replace old ones or a crappy Badger type) never had this type
of leak. This connection should seal properly.

btw I put all the stuff under the sink in two plastic bins (one on
under eacj sink). If I need to work under the sink & can remove all
the junk by simp-ly pulling the two bins. Plus if there is a leak it
goes into a bin.

how old is the unit?

cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob, for some good suggestions. The bin suggestion is good; I'll
get my wife on it. As for your question, I don't have the paperwork
handy, but I seem to remember the current disposal going in around 1998
or 1999. Just guessing though.

So you're suggesting that I slather some silicone vacuum grease (and
excuse my ignorance, that's a term I've not heard before) on the parts
and mate them again?
AutoTracer

Try putting a split washer on the screw when reinstalling it. Vibration
from use may have loosened the bolts. A split washer or star washer will
help keep the screw in place.

"trader-of-some-jacks" wrote in message
In article . com,
"BobK207" wrote:

[...]

trader-of-some-jacks

In article . net,
"AutoTracer" wrote:

Try putting a split washer on the screw when reinstalling it. Vibration
from use may have loosened the bolts. A split washer or star washer will
help keep the screw in place.

I'm afraid I don't understand.

The threaded connector I mentioned is a plastic thing, the same diameter
as the pipe and disposal protrustion that it connects. The pipe fits in
one end, the protrusion in the other, and it has threads and joins them
together.

What you're describing sounds like what I think of as a so-called "lock
washer," right?

BobK207

So you're suggesting that I slather some silicone vacuum grease (and
excuse my ignorance, that's a term I've not heard before) on the parts
and mate them again?

yes, I use vacuum grease for this type of application.

www.mcmaster.com
2966K52
Dow Corning Hi-Vacuum Silica Synthetic Grease 5.3-Ounce Tube
In stock
Quantity Each
1-11 Each $15.55

or equal