a12vman

Default Recessed Lights

I am getting ready to sheetrock my basement ceiling where I installed
several 6" IC Recessed Fixtures. Cutting holes for electrical boxes is not
a problem for me but I've never dealt with round holes before. Do I need to
make a jig to find the center point of each light? What about using a
rotary tool to cut the round holes after the sheetrock is hung?

Thanks in Advance,
-12vman

Brian V

"a12vman" wrote in message
I am getting ready to sheetrock my basement ceiling where I installed
several 6" IC Recessed Fixtures. Cutting holes for electrical boxes is
not
a problem for me but I've never dealt with round holes before. Do I need
make a jig to find the center point of each light? What about using a
rotary tool to cut the round holes after the sheetrock is hung?

Thanks in Advance,
-12vman

drop a line from near the center of each light and make a mark on the floor.
Once the drywalls up drop a line to the mark you made on the floor, bingo,
roughly the center of the fixture. Use a rotozip or similar. Takes all of
about 30 seconds for each light.

Colbyt

"a12vman" wrote in message
I am getting ready to sheetrock my basement ceiling where I installed
several 6" IC Recessed Fixtures. Cutting holes for electrical boxes is

not
a problem for me but I've never dealt with round holes before. Do I need

make a jig to find the center point of each light? What about using a
rotary tool to cut the round holes after the sheetrock is hung?

Thanks in Advance,
-12vman

You have received a couple of good suggestions.

Here is one more. The modern can light have 2 or 3 screws that allows the
fixture to be raised or lowered by about 1". Set the bottom of the can
level with where the top of the drywall will be. Then after you cut out the
drywall you can lower it to the bottom of the drywall.

I would use a dremel or spiral saw with a drywall blade. I am going to have
to try that plumb bob method.

Colbyt