Mike

Default Removing tile shower walls and floor

Can someone walk me through the steps I need to take to completely
detile my shower and remove the drywall behind it?

We don't need to worry about saving the tiles, drywall or shower pan,
all are being replaced by a professional tilesetter.

But we want to do the demo work ourselves to save money. I know we need
to get down to studs and, as I understand it, the subfloor beneath the
current shower pan, which was probably built 20 years ago.

I suppose the easy answer is to just take a hammer and prybar and start
to work, but I've learned that easy answers aren't always the right
ones in home repair.
I want to make sure we don't damage the plumbing, and I don't have any
idea at all about how I should go about removing the floor tiles, which
are set pretty solidly into whatever was used beneath them.

Thanks so much!

Roger Taylor

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can someone walk me through the steps I need to take to completely
detile my shower and remove the drywall behind it?

We don't need to worry about saving the tiles, drywall or shower pan,
all are being replaced by a professional tilesetter.

But we want to do the demo work ourselves to save money. I know we need
to get down to studs and, as I understand it, the subfloor beneath the
current shower pan, which was probably built 20 years ago.

I suppose the easy answer is to just take a hammer and prybar and start
to work, but I've learned that easy answers aren't always the right
ones in home repair.
I want to make sure we don't damage the plumbing, and I don't have any
idea at all about how I should go about removing the floor tiles, which
are set pretty solidly into whatever was used beneath them.

For the walls, I would use a small cold chisel to carefully upend a few
tiles, then cut thru the sheetrock with utility knife, then a sheetrock
handsaw. That way you can locate the studs. Once done, you can use a 12-16
inch Superbar or other prybar and and begin prying the tile and sheetrock
off bit by bit where it is nailed. Keep a flashlight handy to look around in
dark spaces to make sure you aren't near pipes or wiring. Leave the floor to
later. The floor tiles may be imbedded in a mortar base over a plastic or
metal shower pan. If you have a crawlspace, you'll need to get under there
to see how to proceed, and to see how the pan is attached to the floor. From
below, you may be able to pound the mortar/pan loose, then pull up the pan
from above.

BIG HAMMER!

Mike

Thanks, Roger. The shower is actually on the second floor, and the
floor tiles are imbedded in a mortar base. We've pulled off some of the
wall tiles along the floor, and we can see the degraded mortar, a wire
mesh support and behind that, the vinyl liner.

Given that, suggestions for removal of the floor, anyone?

Joe S

Mike wrote:
Thanks, Roger. The shower is actually on the second floor, and the
floor tiles are imbedded in a mortar base. We've pulled off some of

the
wall tiles along the floor, and we can see the degraded mortar, a

wire
mesh support and behind that, the vinyl liner.

Given that, suggestions for removal of the floor, anyone?

I'm not sure what you're looking for.

It's hard and it's heavy. You're going to have to pound it into
submission. A wide chisel helps. Mine's about 4" wide and helped alot.

At least the debris will be easy to dispose of. I had to haul mine
UPstairs.

Joe

G Henslee

Mike,

Hammer and bar. Once you've broken through you can pry it out in
chunks. But, if the curb or dam is removed first you can tap the bar
under the mortar bed and tile, and pry it up. it will crack. Most
mortar beds in shower basins is made of a sand and cement mixture minus
lime.

Mike wrote:
Thanks, Roger. The shower is actually on the second floor, and the
floor tiles are imbedded in a mortar base. We've pulled off some of the
wall tiles along the floor, and we can see the degraded mortar, a wire
mesh support and behind that, the vinyl liner.

Given that, suggestions for removal of the floor, anyone?

Replacing shower floor - questions the_tool_man Home Repair 1 February 15th 05 04:43 PM
Tile floor? Bigaxe1039 Home Repair 2 February 1st 05 05:15 PM
uneven slightly damp sandstone slab floor - levelling compound/tiles/carpet? tez UK diy 12 November 3rd 04 11:57 AM
Minor Shower Tile Grout Cracking Fix (see pictures) Clocker Home Repair 12 June 19th 04 09:39 PM
Minor Shower Tile Grout Cracking Fix (see pictures) Clocker Home Repair 2 June 18th 04 12:27 PM