DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting laminate floor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/95047-cutting-laminate-floor.html)

twfsa March 14th 05 12:30 PM

Cutting laminate floor

Last yr I installed laminate floor in kitchen, and left the required space's
for expansion.

This yr I had a new door installed and the jam is wider, the door(sill) sit
into the room further, and now there is a need to cut the already installed
floor with out takeing it up so I have the required gap for expansion. I
need this gap not only for the expansion but to installed the transition
strip, where the floor end and meets the door sill.

The door is 6 ft wide, any ideas?

Thanks
Tom

Edwin Pawlowski March 14th 05 02:58 PM

"twfsa" wrote in message

This yr I had a new door installed and the jam is wider, the door(sill)
sit into the room further, and now there is a need to cut the already
installed floor with out takeing it up so I have the required gap for
expansion. I need this gap not only for the expansion but to installed the
transition strip, where the floor end and meets the door sill.

The door is 6 ft wide, any ideas?

You are cutting the 6' dimension, correct? I'd use a router for the long
portion, but it will not allow you to get close to the wall. Given the
toughness of hte material, a back saw or dovetail saw will take some time to
finish by hand.

SQLit March 14th 05 03:02 PM

"twfsa" wrote in message
Last yr I installed laminate floor in kitchen, and left the required

space's
for expansion.

This yr I had a new door installed and the jam is wider, the door(sill)

sit
into the room further, and now there is a need to cut the already

installed
floor with out takeing it up so I have the required gap for expansion. I
need this gap not only for the expansion but to installed the transition
strip, where the floor end and meets the door sill.

The door is 6 ft wide, any ideas?

Thanks
Tom

dremel tool will work for the up close areas.

I would be tempted to use my battery skill saw on the long area. With an
appropriate fence installed for a straight cut.