Howie

Default Laminate flooring in front entrance

I have installed laminate flooring in our kitchen and hallway, the front
entrance is next. The front entrance also has a closet which we will floor
with the laminate as well. The closet has two mirror sliding doors with a
track on the top and a track on the bottom (both tracks have wheels). The
flooring panels are about 54" long and the closet/entrance is 72" wide, so I
will have to use full pieces, plus 18" pieces to finish off the 72" length
(54" + 18" = 72"). A length of flooring reaches completely into the closet,
plus 18" inches left to the closet wall.

Should I put all the joins inside the closet? I'm not sure how I would do
this considering that you are supposed to stagger the joins (8" I think) for
strength... I would not have any vertical joints to worry about chipping in
the traffic area of the main entrance...

Or should I just install it as I normally did with the rest of the
flooring - a full piece, then a cut piece, then the rest of the cut panel to
start the next row? I will probably go this way unless someone has a better
idea. This will have staggered joints but vertical joints present in this
traffic area.

Anyone care to comment? advice? suggestions? tips?

Howie

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howie" wrote in message

Should I put all the joins inside the closet? I'm not sure how I would do
this considering that you are supposed to stagger the joins (8" I think)
for
strength... I would not have any vertical joints to worry about chipping
in
the traffic area of the main entrance...

In a high traffic area it is important to have the joint staggered. In a
closet, who cares? You can lay down a 54 and 18, then a 54, 9 and 9 if you
want.

If you don't think it will look natural with no seams in the open area, do a
54, 18 then a 18, 54, next a 9, 54, 9 etc.

I'd try the 54, 18 idea first though.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howie" wrote in message
I don't think I should go 9", 54" 9" - I'll have two joins in a single row
instead of one (or none)... anyone care to comment?

Sure. So what?

longshot

its a closet, throw some shoes over it & forget about it.

--
Be cool,
Longshot\

Howie

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...
I would try to locate the end of the boards under the closet door track.
This will prevent them from lifting up and also hide the joint.

would I have a weaker join area if they all the joins were aligned under the
door track (no staggering)??

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howie" wrote in message

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...
I would try to locate the end of the boards under the closet door track.
This will prevent them from lifting up and also hide the joint.

would I have a weaker join area if they all the joins were aligned under
the
door track (no staggering)??

Sure, but who cares? How much traffic walks on the track?

Howie

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"Howie" wrote in message

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...
I would try to locate the end of the boards under the closet door

track.
This will prevent them from lifting up and also hide the joint.

would I have a weaker join area if they all the joins were aligned under
the
door track (no staggering)??

Sure, but who cares? How much traffic walks on the track?

the doors are somewhat heavy...

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howie" wrote in message

Sure, but who cares? How much traffic walks on the track?

the doors are somewhat heavy...

The won't fall through seam though.