Green Drywall on Ceiling

Old March 10th 05, 02:27 AM
mike

Default Green Drywall on Ceiling

It is my understanding that "green" water-resistant drywall should not
be used on the ceiling because it will sag.

It is also my understanding that green drywall differs from regular
drywall only in the paper covering.

So... why will green drywall sag more than regular?

*moc
Old March 10th 05, 04:25 AM
mike

3rd eye wrote:

Could it be your understanding is incorrect?

Clearly. That's why I posted.

Thanks for your illuminating reply, Farmer Not So Helpful.

Maybe someone else will help out.

*moc
Old March 10th 05, 04:47 AM
mike

In article
,
mike wrote:

So... why will green drywall sag more than regular?

After posting, I found a reference to the fact that the "green" drywall
core is indeed treated to be water resistant (as opposed to my previous
reading which stated that just the paper was resistant).

I now have this explanation:

"For ceiling applications, green board requires extra support.
According to Gypsum Association guidelines, green board in a ceiling
application needs 12" o.c. support.
If supports are 16" o.c., 5/8" green board should be used. Why is this
additional support needed? Moisture repellents, such as the asphalt and
wax emulsions in the green board core formulation, act as lubricants.
These lubricants cause the gypsum crystals to slip easily, resulting in
board sag
For bathroom ceiling applications, we recommend regular or Type X
board. Simply apply a good quality sealer and two coats of latex based
paint after installation."

So to redirect the thread: would anyone with experience care to give
their opinion on the suitability or necessity of green board on a
ceiling?

Thanks,
*moc
Old March 10th 05, 01:03 PM
Doug Miller

In article , mike wrote:
In article
,
mike wrote:

[snip]

For bathroom ceiling applications, we recommend regular or Type X
board. Simply apply a good quality sealer and two coats of latex based
paint after installation."

OK, that's the manufacturer's opinion on the suitability or necessity of green
board on a ceiling...

So to redirect the thread: would anyone with experience care to give
their opinion on the suitability or necessity of green board on a
ceiling?

What, the manufacturer doesn't have enough experience to suit you? Do you have
a reason to suppose that the opinion of some stranger on Usenet is worth more
than theirs?

Bottom line: you already have your answer. If you want to put greenboard on
your ceiling anyway, nobody's stopping you. I'll tell you one thing, though,
that the manufacturer didn't: greenboard is a *lot* heavier than regular
drywall. I don't see any point in making the job of drywalling a ceiling any
more difficult than it already is.

--
Regards,

Old March 10th 05, 06:36 PM
ToddWiedeman

To my knowledge, the gypsym core in green drywall has a chemical in
that makes it more resistant to water saturation, this also makes the
board less stiff. To prevent sagging in ceilings a common solution is
to "strap" the ceiling with 1x3 firring at 12 inck centers and then
install greenboard
Todd
*moc

ceiling drywall Oh_Jeeze Home Repair 6 December 30th 04 08:22 PM
Hanging drywall ceiling from plaster walls Ray Home Repair 2 April 28th 04 01:52 AM
Deflecting Drywall Ceiling Michael Roback Home Repair 2 April 7th 04 11:47 AM
OT? can drywall be used in place of suspended ceiling tiles? Michael S. Woodworking 10 December 12th 03 01:09 PM
How to redo drywall taping on garage ceiling?? Ron Home Repair 8 November 26th 03 01:29 PM