Paul

Default Aluminum clad MC cable in a chase with copper pipe

I need to run a new 20A circuit from the basement up into the attic and down
to a second floor bathroom. There is a very convenient chase containing
the copper hot and cold water pipes from the basement up to the attic and
down to this bathroom. If I run aluminum clad MC cable (12/2) in the
vicinity of the pipes (it will be somewhat loose hanging in the chase)
should I be worried about incidental Al/Cu contact and pitting/corrosion of
the pipes (or is it pitting/corrosion of the Al jacket?)

Thanks.

The Real Tom

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:34:19 -0500, "Paul"
wrote:

I need to run a new 20A circuit from the basement up into the attic and down
to a second floor bathroom. There is a very convenient chase containing
the copper hot and cold water pipes from the basement up to the attic and
down to this bathroom. If I run aluminum clad MC cable (12/2) in the
vicinity of the pipes (it will be somewhat loose hanging in the chase)
should I be worried about incidental Al/Cu contact and pitting/corrosion of
the pipes (or is it pitting/corrosion of the Al jacket?)

Thanks.

This is not a professional answer, just one from another home owner.
I think when you run dissimular metals in contact you get galvanic
corrosion. So, I would avoid running them in proximty of each other.

Do you have a nonmetalic solution, like using NM-B or sheathed MC?

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
type of copper to use to repipe house Ron Home Repair 42 February 9th 05 03:59 PM
Copper vs. aluminum electrical supply Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 21 November 5th 04 01:45 AM
slightly OT NTL/Telewest cable descrambler ntldescrambler UK diy 10 August 26th 04 03:25 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM