Joe Martin

Default Installing dead bolt

I am preparing to install a dead bolt lock in an exterior metal-clad door.
Will an ordinary wood-cutting hole saw drill the hole OK or should I use a
metal-cutting saw. I have no idea how thick the metal is on these doors but
I'm told it's very thin. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

DanG

I only know of one type of hole saw. If you are talking about the
round cans with teeth on the edge that thread onto a mandrel, then
we are both talking about the same thing. Lennox, Morse,
Milwaukee, etc make these for cutting steel. They can be used on
wood, aluminum, brass, etc.

Yes, drill your door with it.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Joe Martin" wrote in message
I am preparing to install a dead bolt lock in an exterior
metal-clad door.
Will an ordinary wood-cutting hole saw drill the hole OK or
should I use a
metal-cutting saw. I have no idea how thick the metal is on
these doors but
I'm told it's very thin. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Colbyt

"Joe Martin" wrote in message
I am preparing to install a dead bolt lock in an exterior metal-clad door.
Will an ordinary wood-cutting hole saw drill the hole OK or should I use a
metal-cutting saw. I have no idea how thick the metal is on these doors

but
I'm told it's very thin. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

It is very thin. I have never done it but I did watch a locksmith do one.
He used el cheapo standard hole saw. I asked and he said each "blade" is
good for 2-3 doors before they burn out.

I did notice that he used a moderate speed.

Maybe Stormin Norman will respond to your post. I think he worked as a
locksmith for some years. I will defer to his opinion.

Colbyt

Heathcliff

Ditto on this response. You can get a metal-cutting version of the saw
blade at a hardware store. I had to do this recently to cut holes in a
car door -- holes through the interior steel skin to reach the bolts
for the window motor. Worked fine and didn't take too long.

-- H