kato

Default Electric Service Panel

Every once in awhile the power will just go out in my house. When I go to
the service panel and turn the Main power swith off and then back on it
seems fine again. Sometimes I need to jiggle the main power switch for it to

It looks like two sideways mounted light switchs attached together. It is
also sometimes slightly warm in the touch. I have neither added nor
subtracted any appliances or changed their locations it the past 6 months.

This just started happen a few days ago and has never happened before. It
just feels like the main power switch is like a chanky old light switch on
it's last leg. The panel was upgraded to 100 amp 15 years ago.

The question is can I just have an electrician come and change the main
power switch. Can I do it myself? I would prefer not to fool with it, and
does it sound like a relatively inexpensive job? Any other suggestion would
be much appreciated. Thanks.

Robert Allison

kato wrote:

[...]

Changing out the main would be my first guess. You can do this
yourself, but if you are the least bit concerned, I would have an
electrician do it for you. Probably cost about $50.00 plus the cost of
the breaker.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
toller

Its funny, the main breaker is no more dangerous than an outlet, but it is
somehow terrifying. I still get nervous when I check for tightness every
now and then.
It is a very simple to replace the main breaker, but if you are not
comfortable with it, then get an electrician. It shouldn't take more than
30 minutes.

It might just be that the breaker is not seated properly, or that one of the
contacts is loose. You "might" want to check those first.
If you 1) wear shoes, 2) keep one hand behind your back, 3) wear rubber
gloves, 4) are careful not to touch anything you don't mean to, and 5) use
an insulated tool, you can't go too far wrong. (1, 2, and 3 are completely
unnecessary, but they protect you in case you screw up on 4 or 5)

Doug Miller

In article , "toller" wrote:
Its funny, the main breaker is no more dangerous than an outlet, but it is
somehow terrifying.

What on earth are you talking about? The main breaker is dangerous as hell,
and it _should_ be at least a bit scary. There's _no_way_ to disconnect power
from it without pulling the meter or disconnecting at the transformer: those
lugs are _always_ hot and therefore always dangerous.

I still get nervous when I check for tightness every
now and then.

What, exactly, are you checking for tightness? The lugs that hold your service
entrance cables to the main breaker? Do you not realize that those lugs are
hot?

--
Regards,

toller

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "toller"
wrote:
Its funny, the main breaker is no more dangerous than an outlet, but it is
somehow terrifying.

What on earth are you talking about? The main breaker is dangerous as
hell,
and it _should_ be at least a bit scary. There's _no_way_ to disconnect
power
from it without pulling the meter or disconnecting at the transformer:
those
lugs are _always_ hot and therefore always dangerous.

I still get nervous when I check for tightness every
now and then.

What, exactly, are you checking for tightness? The lugs that hold your
service
entrance cables to the main breaker? Do you not realize that those lugs
are
hot?

Yes I realize they are hot. I also realize that aluminum wire connections
should be tightened periodically.
They only have 120v on them! An insulated allen wrench and you are good to
go.

Do you shut off the main breaker when you change a branch breaker? Then why
are you concerned about the main breaker?

kato

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
kato wrote:

[...]

I had a certified electrician look at it. The main breaker needs to be
replaced. Job consists of a permit ($25), new breaker for older model panel
($85), labour and travelling time ($95).. The meter will be removed to cut
power and then the power company will come out to reseal it. Total price of
repair including taxes $250. A completely new panel installed is close to
$500. As the house will be sold within 2-3 years, I'm opting for the repair
only. Thanks for your opinions.

Stormin Mormon

6) prayer
7) keep insurance paid up
8) have a second adult nearby with instructions not to try heroic measures
until after calling for an ambulance
9) Stand on dry wooden platform

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 24th 04 12:50 AM
Copper vs. aluminum electrical supply Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 21 November 5th 04 02:45 AM
How to connect garage electric panel JohnF Home Repair 20 August 20th 04 12:08 AM
Help upgrading Service panel from 60A to 125A, please. DaveG Home Repair 33 December 3rd 03 04:57 AM
Newbie Service Panel Question HA HA Budys Here Home Repair 9 November 22nd 03 05:44 PM