Tim Zimmerman

Default Chisels broke

I bought four sets of chisels from a used place. The kind with a light green
see-thru handle and a black trim - no brand. It performed fine for a few
weeks until a pearl sized chip came off in sections from the tip of the green
handle which I did not notice earlier. I was chiseling against the grain of the
wood, not along the grain as instructed from a book. But, I've chiseled against
the grain with a 10-year old Stanley (with a non-see-thru plastic handle) without
problems.

The problem is that a few of the green see-thru chisels have 10-15 percent
chips gone from its plastic striking surface. Since that day I am more careful.
I'm not sure whether I had used a wrong hammer or whether I pound them
too hard. What's the best way to repair these tool?

Thanks

Tim Zimmerman

"Tim Zimmerman" wrote

I bought four sets of chisels from a used place. The kind with a light green
see-thru handle and a black trim - no brand. It performed fine for a few
weeks until a pearl sized chip came off in sections from the tip of the green
handle which I did not notice earlier. I was chiseling against the grain of the
wood, not along the grain as instructed from a book. But, I've chiseled against
the grain with a 10-year old Stanley (with a non-see-thru plastic handle) without
problems. What's the best way to repair these tool?

Hi,
This message was already posted, unless you don't mind replying again. There
was an internal ISP error which caused a mirrored post that is beyond my
control. The actual post is here. http://snipurl.com/daib

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Tim Zimmerman"
wrote:

What's the best way to repair these tool?

Either just ignore it, or saw the end of the handle a little shorter,
but giving you a flat surface.

Then get a wooden mallet for driving chisels.
m Ransley

Get a set of Sears - Craftsman, guarnteed for life , not like chinese
crap