Dan C

Default Clothes dryer vent outlet routing

Hello all,

I'm having a new house built, and today I noticed something that I wanted
some opinions on...

My laundry room is not on an exterior wall of the house, so when they
installed the dryer vent, it is run straight up and through the roof. It
is the rigid (smooth) aluminum material, not expandable "accordian" hose.

Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem? I've never
seen that done before. Any "backpressure" issues from this? My thoughts
are that hot air rises, so would probably be a good thing. True? Is this
the normal way of doing it? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Linux Registered User #327951

Noozer

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I'm having a new house built, and today I noticed something that I wanted
some opinions on...

My laundry room is not on an exterior wall of the house, so when they
installed the dryer vent, it is run straight up and through the roof. It
is the rigid (smooth) aluminum material, not expandable "accordian" hose.

Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem? I've never
seen that done before. Any "backpressure" issues from this? My thoughts
are that hot air rises, so would probably be a good thing. True? Is this
the normal way of doing it? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Just make sure that they give you some method of accessing the bottom to
clean the lint/etc. out of it. Most likely they'll just tell you to pull
the dryer out and reach in with your hand.

Of course a vertical vent will be easier to clean than a horizontal one.

Robert Allison

Dan C wrote:

Hello all,

I'm having a new house built, and today I noticed something that I wanted
some opinions on...

My laundry room is not on an exterior wall of the house, so when they
installed the dryer vent, it is run straight up and through the roof. It
is the rigid (smooth) aluminum material, not expandable "accordian" hose.

Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem? I've never
seen that done before. Any "backpressure" issues from this? My thoughts
are that hot air rises, so would probably be a good thing. True? Is this
the normal way of doing it? Thanks for any info you can provide.

The only problem that I have seen with these is that the roof tends
to get covered with lint. It is unsightly, but hardly a problem
otherwise. A good rain storm cleans it, that or a water hose.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
JerryMouse

Dan C wrote:
Hello all,

I'm having a new house built, and today I noticed something that I
wanted some opinions on...

My laundry room is not on an exterior wall of the house, so when they
installed the dryer vent, it is run straight up and through the roof.
It is the rigid (smooth) aluminum material, not expandable
"accordian" hose.

Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem? I've
never seen that done before.

Look at it like this: What choice do you have?

Any "backpressure" issues from this?
My thoughts are that hot air rises, so would probably be a good
thing. True? Is this the normal way of doing it? Thanks for any
info you can provide.

Joseph Meehan

Dan C wrote:
Hello all,

I'm having a new house built, and today I noticed something that I
wanted some opinions on...

My laundry room is not on an exterior wall of the house, so when they
installed the dryer vent, it is run straight up and through the roof.
It is the rigid (smooth) aluminum material, not expandable
"accordian" hose.

Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem? I've
never seen that done before. Any "backpressure" issues from this?
My thoughts are that hot air rises, so would probably be a good
thing. True? Is this the normal way of doing it? Thanks for any
info you can provide.

It sounds like they did a good job. Rigid metal (not the accordion
stuff) is far better, more efficient and safer. Up is good, It is warm air
going up, it will actually travel easier up, like a chimney, although not
all that much.

Cleaning is a possible issue, but I suspect just pulling the dryer out.
You really wanted to clean under it and maybe remove the back and clean
inside anyway. That straight smooth bore run will be far easier to clean
than most situations are.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

royroy

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:25:00 -0600, Dan C
wrote:
Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem?

My son called me to help with endless running dryer problems in his
new (to him) house. It had a similar installation, which I blew
though, from the bottom, with an electric leaf blower. Disconnected
the "plumbing" from the actual roof vent and blew into a gunny sack.
Anyhow, the problem was the roof vent. Contractor used the typical
vent used to vent hot air from an attic. It had screen with a mesh so
fine that all the lint collected there. It was jammed. I tore out
the screen and we're going to see how that works. If it doesn't,
will look for a proper vent for such an installation. I'm sure there
must be one.
Burnt Eddy

Depending on how observent your building inspector is... a dryer vent has a
length limit of 14' (horizontal and vertical) and two 90 degree elbows. You
have to deduct 2' of length for every additional elbow (per the Building
Code, ICC). If it is longer, your appliance dealer may be able to help with
a booster fan or something else....

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I'm having a new house built, and today I noticed something that I wanted
some opinions on...

My laundry room is not on an exterior wall of the house, so when they
installed the dryer vent, it is run straight up and through the roof. It
is the rigid (smooth) aluminum material, not expandable "accordian" hose.

Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem? I've never
seen that done before. Any "backpressure" issues from this? My thoughts
are that hot air rises, so would probably be a good thing. True? Is this
the normal way of doing it? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Linux Registered User #327951

Brian O

wrote:
Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem?

My son called me to help with endless running dryer problems in his
new (to him) house. It had a similar installation, which I blew
though, from the bottom, with an electric leaf blower. Disconnected
the "plumbing" from the actual roof vent and blew into a gunny sack.
Anyhow, the problem was the roof vent. Contractor used the typical
vent used to vent hot air from an attic. It had screen with a mesh so
fine that all the lint collected there. It was jammed. I tore out
the screen and we're going to see how that works. If it doesn't,
will look for a proper vent for such an installation. I'm sure there
must be one.

I have a stack type dryer vent. They are not that easy to clean properly.
First of all, of course, you need to be able and confident about walking on
the roof of your house. Not the most pleasant thing in the world to do.
Secondly, to clean it properly requires a special brush with a long handle.
They sell these at various stores. Thirdly, a big problem is birds. For
some reason they like the warm air, and for whatever reason they tend to
fall down the stack. Cant tell you how many birds I've retrieved out of my
dryer stack at the base. Unfortunately for them, they dried out before I
realized they were there. Not only is it sort of disgusting, but it can be a
fire hazard as well if they get too dry. You need some sort of cover on the
stack to keep them out. Chicken wire comes to mind. Don't use window screen,
as that will collect lint and clog the stack. I don't recall having a lint
problem on the roof. Maybe some folks wear more cotton than others. Anyway,
that's my experience. I'm in the process of rerouting my dryer vent to a
side wall.
Brian

Joseph Meehan

wrote:
Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem?

My son called me to help with endless running dryer problems in his
new (to him) house. It had a similar installation, which I blew
though, from the bottom, with an electric leaf blower. Disconnected
the "plumbing" from the actual roof vent and blew into a gunny sack.
Anyhow, the problem was the roof vent. Contractor used the typical
vent used to vent hot air from an attic. It had screen with a mesh
so fine that all the lint collected there. It was jammed. I tore
out the screen and we're going to see how that works. If it doesn't,
will look for a proper vent for such an installation. I'm sure there
must be one.

Not a good idea to use that vent. There is a proper vent that has a
grill to prevent birds from entering but more important has a flap type
valve to close the vent to prevent cold air from entering when it is not
operating.

[...]

The brush I have can be used from the dryer end. I find that a little
work with it and a blower of some type, I have used both a shop vac and a
leaf blower does the job along with the brush.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Duane Bozarth

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Not a good idea to use that vent. There is a proper vent that has a
grill to prevent birds from entering but more important has a flap type
valve to close the vent to prevent cold air from entering when it is not
operating.

I've never seen one (the flapper part) that would work well for vertical
application, however.

Dan C

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 12:11:50 +0000, Joseph Meehan wrote:

Is having the vent run straight up from the dryer a problem? I've
never seen that done before. Any "backpressure" issues from this?
My thoughts are that hot air rises, so would probably be a good
thing. True? Is this the normal way of doing it? Thanks for any
info you can provide.

It sounds like they did a good job. Rigid metal (not the accordion
stuff) is far better, more efficient and safer. Up is good, It is warm air
going up, it will actually travel easier up, like a chimney, although not
all that much.

Cleaning is a possible issue, but I suspect just pulling the dryer out.
You really wanted to clean under it and maybe remove the back and clean
inside anyway. That straight smooth bore run will be far easier to clean
than most situations are.

Thanks (to you and to everyone else) for the info. Sounds like one less
thing I need to worry about. Appreciate it!

Linux Registered User #327951

Joseph Meehan

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Not a good idea to use that vent. There is a proper vent that
has a grill to prevent birds from entering but more important has a
flap type valve to close the vent to prevent cold air from entering
when it is not operating.

I've never seen one (the flapper part) that would work well for
vertical application, however.

I really don't know as I have no experience with that set up, all mine
have been out the side.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Not a good idea to use that vent. There is a proper vent that

has a
grill to prevent birds from entering but more important has a flap

type
valve to close the vent to prevent cold air from entering when it

is not
operating.

I've never seen one (the flapper part) that would work well for

vertical
application, however.

I've seen this used succesfully in vertical runs (as long as the flow
goes up):

Deflecto BD04 Draft Blocker

http://www.deflecto.com/OMS/tier2_te...?ProductID=912

%mod

Brian O

[...]

I might try that if I had access to some sort of large volume moving air
blower.'

Goedjn

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:11:25 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Not a good idea to use that vent. There is a proper vent that has a
grill to prevent birds from entering but more important has a flap type
valve to close the vent to prevent cold air from entering when it is not
operating.

I've never seen one (the flapper part) that would work well for vertical
application, however.

Look at a tractor, sometime.

Kathy

"Goedjn" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:11:25 -0600, Duane Bozarth

I've never seen one (the flapper part) that would work well for vertical
application, however.

Look at a tractor, sometime.

Wouldn't exhaust have more pressure than a dryer?

royroy

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:10:23 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

I've never seen one (the flapper part) that would work well for
vertical application, however.

I really don't know as I have no experience with that set up, all mine
have been out the side.

I was going to have to do this sooner or later anyway, so I Googled:
"dryer vent" vertical cap
There are all kinds. Here's one: http://www.cjmetals.com/vents.htm

manhattan42

Burnt Eddy Wrote:
Depending on how observent your building inspector is... a dryer vent
has a
length limit of 14' (horizontal and vertical) and two 90 degree elbows.
You
have to deduct 2' of length for every additional elbow (per the
Building
Code, ICC). If it is longer, your appliance dealer may be able to help
with
a booster fan or something else....

ICC International Residential Code for 2003 states:

"M1501.3 Length Limitation. The maximum length of a clothes dryer
exhaust duct shall not exceed 25 feet from the dryer location to the
wall or roof termination. The maximum length of the duct shall be
reduced 2.5 feet for each 45-degree bend and 5 feet for each 90-degree
bend. The maximum length of the exhaust duct does not include the
transition duct."

Exceptions are the use of a mechanical booster or a dryer that can be
shown by the manufacturer to be able exceed the 25 foot limits.

A roof vent should be the very last choice for venting a dryer and the
vent would best be run to a sidewall via a soffit, or thru a basement
or crawlspace.

--
manhattan42
manhattan42's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=46

Dan C

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 08:03:55 -0600, manhattan42 wrote:

A roof vent should be the very last choice for venting a dryer and the
vent would best be run to a sidewall via a soffit, or thru a basement
or crawlspace.

Assuming the duct length is well within the limits you described, why do
you say that the roof vent is the last choice? Is there something
fundamentally wrong with that method?

Linux Registered User #327951

Goedjn

I've never seen one (the flapper part) that would work well for vertical
application, however.

Look at a tractor, sometime.

Wouldn't exhaust have more pressure than a dryer?

Yes, but it doesn't matter, the flapper is counterweighted.