Howie

Default Fridge temperature

Our Kemore 41 Series fridge is freezing some food on the bottom shelf (but
no other food on above shelves or below in crisper seems to freeze)... why?

Does our fridge temperature go from warmest (#10) to coldest (#1)?? or vice
versa?

Howie

Doug Kanter

No instruction manual, or hints on the dial to tell you which way is
coldest? Buy a fridge thermometer at the grocery store and experiment. And,
check the Sears web site. Many web sites offer instruction manuals via
download, usually in PDF format.

Most refrigerators are colder at the bottom and near the back of the
shelves. Cheaper models tend to display this tendency for some reason. Use
the thermometer adjust the WORST spot so it's not freezing food, and then
check the upper shelves to make sure the temp is cold enough to be safe. If
you can't get the two zones into useful temp ranges, perhaps you can change
where you store certain things. For instance, pickles have enough salt in
the brine that they usually won't freeze (based on my experience with a
stupid refrigerator). Fresh broccoli can be "frosted" a bit without
suffering. It lives through light frosts in the garden.

Finally, try not to block the backs of the upper shelves with bulky things
like bread. Better air circulation may help.

"Howie" wrote in message
Our Kemore 41 Series fridge is freezing some food on the bottom shelf (but
no other food on above shelves or below in crisper seems to freeze)...
why?

Does our fridge temperature go from warmest (#10) to coldest (#1)?? or
vice
versa?

Howie

Joseph Meehan

Howie wrote:
Our Kemore 41 Series fridge is freezing some food on the bottom shelf
(but no other food on above shelves or below in crisper seems to
freeze)... why?

Does our fridge temperature go from warmest (#10) to coldest (#1)??
or vice versa?

Howie

You want to check the owner's manual. If you can't find yours (shame on
you) you may be able to download one from the Sears web site.

I don't know the style of fridge but many have two settings, one for the
freezer and one for the frig section. They tend to work as a team so
changing one can change the other.

The book will also tell you about any maintenance that you should be
doing and are likely well behind on.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

AutoTracer

There is a fan that circulates air between the fridge and freezer
compartments. This fan also blows air around the freezer compartment. If
the fan stops or if the air duct becomes clogged with frost, the air will
not circulate and you will have uneven temperature.

Try defrosting then verify that you feel cold air coming out of the vents in
the freezer compartment when you turn it back on. Also do not overload the
freezer such that the vents are blocked. If you have spilled an ice tray
the water may have also frozen in the air duct.

Usually there are two knobs. One is the thermostat and clicks when you turn
it when you are at the set temp. The other controls the size of the opening
to the air duct mentioned above. Set the thermostat so that the fridge is
cold but not freezing and adjust the other to balance the tempo between the
compartments. Look at just about any owners manual for the same style (top
mount, side by side) for better setting advice.

Sounds like you need to set the thermostat a little lower and close the
freezer vent a bit. This will raise the overall temp a bit and balance more
cold air in the freezer compartment

"Howie" wrote in message
Our Kemore 41 Series fridge is freezing some food on the bottom shelf (but
no other food on above shelves or below in crisper seems to freeze)...

why?

Does our fridge temperature go from warmest (#10) to coldest (#1)?? or

vice
versa?

Howie

Doug Kanter

"AutoTracer" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

And, wait at least a day for the entire refrigerator to stabilize after you
make adjustments. It sometimes takes that long, or longer.

Gideon

Howie wrote
Does our fridge temperature go from warmest (#10) to coldest (#1)??
or vice versa?

This is pretty easy. When you fridge is not running, open the door
and turn the dial in one direction. If the compressor motor starts
running, then you have determined which direction on the dial is
for "colder/coldest."

There is a lot of good advice already posted in reply to your questions.
I would also add that you should purchase 2 inexpensive electronic
thermometers with digital readouts. You want to monitor fridge temps
without guessing. I like 40 degrees in the fridge and 0-10 in the freezer.
Others would probably recommend 20 or so in the freezer.

Most of the electronic thermometers have a remote probe connected via
a rather thin wire. This makes it easy to leave the probe inside the fridge
and the display unit outside of the fridge, with the thin wire running over
the door seal. Most of these units have a memory feature, which is great.
If the clocks are flashing "12:00" when you come home from work, you can
check these thermometers to see just how much the fridge warmed up
during the power outage. If you leave town for a few days, this is even
more important.

Gideon

Howie

"Gideon" wrote in message
Howie wrote
[...]

I'll give it a try... thx!

GE refrigerator warranty repair misery [email protected] Home Ownership 6 March 13th 05 05:29 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Temperature too high Lee UK diy 5 June 16th 04 12:21 AM
How do tell a liquid from a solid? Jeffrey Lindemuth Metalworking 20 December 29th 03 06:16 PM
Hotpoint fridge freezer - freezer failure [email protected] UK diy 2 August 13th 03 08:06 PM