longshot

"Ian" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine on my (old) Ariens snow blower has
progressively required more choke to keep running. At the start of the
season I'd start it with full choke and eventually move it to "no
choke". Recently it has needed full choke just to run, even when
warmed up. Now it stalls if I don't keep priming it ("Mega Choke").

Any suggestions on why this would happen and is there an easy DIY
remedy?

Thanks,

Ian

my quad went through that, turns out it was a suction or air/ fuel mixture
problem. there should be a spring loaded adjustment screw on the carb
somewhere.

--
Be cool,
Longshot

Tom

"Ian" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine on my (old) Ariens snow blower has
progressively required more choke to keep running. At the start of the
season I'd start it with full choke and eventually move it to "no
choke". Recently it has needed full choke just to run, even when
warmed up. Now it stalls if I don't keep priming it ("Mega Choke").

Any suggestions on why this would happen and is there an easy DIY
remedy?

My Bolens with the Tecumseh 7 hp engine has had the same problem the last
two seasons. Each time, I've had to tighten the bolts holding the
carburetor to the block to correct the problem. Next time it happens, I'm
going to try some Loctite.

Duane Bozarth

Ian wrote:

The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine on my (old) Ariens snow blower has
progressively required more choke to keep running. At the start of the
season I'd start it with full choke and eventually move it to "no
choke". Recently it has needed full choke just to run, even when
warmed up. Now it stalls if I don't keep priming it ("Mega Choke").

Any suggestions on why this would happen and is there an easy DIY
remedy?

Sounds like an air leak somewhere...look for loose connection of carb,
etc.
Tekkie

Ian posted for all of us....

The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine on my (old) Ariens snow blower has
progressively required more choke to keep running. At the start of the
season I'd start it with full choke and eventually move it to "no
choke". Recently it has needed full choke just to run, even when
warmed up. Now it stalls if I don't keep priming it ("Mega Choke").

Any suggestions on why this would happen and is there an easy DIY
remedy?

Thanks,

Ian

The engine is getting too much air, find the leak by spraying carb cleaner
where you suspect it might be. Go from there.
--
Tekkie

chip

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:57:07 -0500, Tekkie wrote:

Ian posted for all of us....

The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine on my (old) Ariens snow blower has
progressively required more choke to keep running. At the start of the
season I'd start it with full choke and eventually move it to "no
choke". Recently it has needed full choke just to run, even when
warmed up. Now it stalls if I don't keep priming it ("Mega Choke").

Any suggestions on why this would happen and is there an easy DIY
remedy?

Thanks,

Ian

The engine is getting too much air, find the leak by spraying carb cleaner
where you suspect it might be. Go from there.

pull the float bowl, you have crap in the main jet and or bowl
itself. i doubt it's an air leak.
Chip
William W. Plummer

chip wrote:

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:57:07 -0500, Tekkie wrote:

Ian posted for all of us....

The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine on my (old) Ariens snow blower has
progressively required more choke to keep running. At the start of the
season I'd start it with full choke and eventually move it to "no
choke". Recently it has needed full choke just to run, even when
warmed up. Now it stalls if I don't keep priming it ("Mega Choke").

Any suggestions on why this would happen and is there an easy DIY
remedy?

Thanks,

Ian

The engine is getting too much air, find the leak by spraying carb cleaner
where you suspect it might be. Go from there.

pull the float bowl, you have crap in the main jet and or bowl
itself. i doubt it's an air leak.
Chip

Over the years I've found that the easiest way to fix carburetor-related
problems is to buy a rebuild kit and do it. It is both quick and _dirty_.
Porky

The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine on my (old) Ariens snow blower has
progressively required more choke to keep running.

Everybody might be right. Too much air OR not enough gas.
If the carb is loose, suspect the air problem, a relatively easy fix,
although getting a wrench on those bolts can be a knuckle buster. Don't
round the corners off the bolts, eh?
If the carb is tight, then suspect dirty jet(s), which can only be
fixed usually by tearing down the carb and blowing out the orifices
with comperessed air. If you don't feel up to that, you could bring the
carb in to a small engines tech. And yeah, it will need a rebuild kit
to be fixed right, although sometimes a good cleaning will suffice.
Drain the fuel out of your carb somehow every year before putting the
thing away. That goes double for 2-stroke engines. I start them up,
drain the tank somehow, then run them till they quit, choke and start
again til they won't start no more. This prevents varnish from
evaporating gas from clogging up those jets.

JohnK

Tom

"Porky" wrote in message
oups.com...

The Tecumseh 4 stroke engine on my (old) Ariens snow blower has
progressively required more choke to keep running.

Everybody might be right. Too much air OR not enough gas.
If the carb is loose, suspect the air problem, a relatively easy fix,
although getting a wrench on those bolts can be a knuckle buster. Don't
round the corners off the bolts, eh?

Second time tightening the bolts, I found that if I took a few minutes
extra, to remove the muffler, it was very easy to get at both bolts.
Tom.

Ian

That was it. Quite simple rally. Back in action in 5 minutes.

Thanks,

Ian