M&K

Default Ceiling fan wobble

Our ceiling fan wobbles to the point where the ball joint goes
"snik-snik-snik..." and the pull chain for the light goes
"ting-ting-ting..."

Aside from maybe helping me write a song for some new Broadway musical, it
gets pretty annoying and with warmer weather coming, I would like to get rid
of the wobble.

I have already followed the manufacturer's instructions for eliminating
wobble (loosen blades, run on high, tighten, swap adjacent blades, etc) with
no luck. I found a nice web page where someone very knowledgable suggests
testing the blade balance using a clothespin, but that only made the wobble
worse.

This same page said to check blade distance from the ceiling, and this is
where I found the problem; while all the blades were the same distance from
the ceiling, one of the blade arms that attach to the motor was twisted to
the point where the blade was almost at a 45-degree angle. Okay, the problem
is aerodynamics, not actual balancing. However, this is one of those real
high-priced fans using what I believe is pewter for the arms and I don't
think I can just go and put this thing in a vise to try and twist it into a
correct angle.

Has anyone else encountered this, and how did you correct it?

Thanks

SQLit

"M&K" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Yep see it before.

Are you sure your not missing a screw on that blade? There are usually two
screws that hold the blade assembly to the motor housing.

I got the manufacture of the fan to cough up a set of "irons" the metal
pieces that attach to the fan and the blades attach to the "iron".

The box stores sell then in sets in brass finish. Be damned sure you bring
an old one with you. There hundreds of slight variations to the "irons".
Ok maybe not hundreds but there are a bunch.

Brian O

Also, instead of going through a lot of things that may not take care of the
problem, just get some coins and tape them to the blade you suspect as being
light. Move them in and out along the blade until the wobble stops. Mine
have been like that for 15 yrs now. Bout time to check on the tape though.

"SQLit" wrote in message
> [...]

"M&K" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Ross Mac

"M&K" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Go to Home Depot and buy a balance kit and that should solve it. That's
assuming that something isn't loose or bent........good luck....Ross

m Ransley

The blades must be level , same pitch and protrusion as the others, New
fan, return it, old fan remount and shim the blades.

The Real Tom

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:37:25 GMT, "M&K" wrote:

[...]

HD and Lowes sell fan balancing kits. They are cheap and I hear they
do work well once you figure out the trail and error process.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Brian O" wrote:

Also, instead of going through a lot of things that may not take care of the
problem, just get some coins and tape them to the blade you suspect as being
light. Move them in and out along the blade until the wobble stops. Mine
have been like that for 15 yrs now. Bout time to check on the tape though.

When you are balancing it, use washers instead of coins and tape a
screw with the washers till you get it right, then screw the washers in
place.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Brian O

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brian O" wrote:

Also, instead of going through a lot of things that may not take care of

the
problem, just get some coins and tape them to the blade you suspect as

being
light. Move them in and out along the blade until the wobble stops. Mine
have been like that for 15 yrs now. Bout time to check on the tape

though.

When you are balancing it, use washers instead of coins and tape a
screw with the washers till you get it right, then screw the washers in
place.

Hey! I like that idea even better!

larry

Also, instead of going through a lot of things that may not take care of
the problem, just get some coins and tape them to the blade you suspect as
being

i spent hours trying to balance a 4 blade, 3 speed ceiling fan for my
parents using coins. never could balance "high" speed. i even swapped
blade positions. (motor with no blades was in perfect balance)

out of desperation, i measured the length and the weight of all 4
blades, all were identical. when i realized that different speeds was
the issue, it became obvious that pitch was causing the problem. a few
minutes later, with a protractor and string i found one blade bracket
had a 5 degree error to the other 3 blades. a quick "twist" to the
bracket to get it to the same angle as the rest was all it needed. the
fan now runs true at high speed (or any speed).

a trick to avoid the protractor- if the blades are gloss finish, put a
small light bulb a little higher or lower and behind the fan so you can
see it's reflection on the blades as they rotate. "twist" any errant
blade bracket, so that the bulb reflection is at exactly the same place
on all the blades. (spin by hand)

eye blade light bulb
) O
\ /