Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Default Toro 521 Snow Thrower has problem starting up

I have a Toro 521 Snow thrower model 38052. My problem is that my machine, needs to have me press
the Primer button every 2 seconds for over 5 minutes to let the machine start up. I know to have the
machine start with full choke and the machine on fast.

Is there something I can adjust so I don't have to do this. What happens is, if I don't do this, the
machine dies. However, it is easy to start and will continue to run, as long as I keep pressing the
Primer button.

The next problem is that after a while of running, it starts to need me to press the primer button
again, or it will stall. So I end up having to have the machine rest for an hour.

FYI, I have had this winterized every year, and this problem has been occurring for 2 years. I am
mad, because the repairman says, that since the problem does not occur in the warmer weather,
when I get it "pre-tuned" for season, that there is nothing I can do.

If I try to get it tuned in the cold weather, it could take weeks to get the machine back.

So my solution is to have someone tell me, if there is some how, a way to get more fuel to the
machine, so the Primer does not have to be pressed. I counted how many times it takes. It takes
over 300 times of pressing the Primer button to finally warm the machine up, so it will continue.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net
Matt

I think its a problem with your french press coffee machine, Lawrence.
The water isn't hot enough.

Joseph Meehan

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC wrote:
[...]

I found out how, I got an electric model. Starts first time every time.

Also a good excuse not to do a neighbors drive while they are away. The
cord won't stretch. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

David Efflandt

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
wrote:
I have a Toro 521 Snow thrower model 38052. My problem is that my machine, needs to have me press
the Primer button every 2 seconds for over 5 minutes to let the machine start up. I know to have the
machine start with full choke and the machine on fast.

Is there something I can adjust so I don't have to do this. What happens is, if I don't do this, the
machine dies. However, it is easy to start and will continue to run, as long as I keep pressing the
Primer button.

Sounds like it is too lean and you need to learn how to adjust the carb.
If you do not have the manual, download any manuals you can find from
Toro. They have a manual for mine from 1979, so they should have one for
yours.

You want to open the needle valve enough that it keeps running more
quickly after it starts, and just enough to not bog down to much when
pushed into the snow. If it is a 2-cycle engine and set too rich
(blubbers when warmed up instead of running smoothly), it may foul the
spark plug with oil.
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Sounds like it is too lean and you need to learn how to adjust the carb.
If you do not have the manual, download any manuals you can find from
Toro. They have a manual for mine from 1979, so they should have one for
yours.

David,

The power adjusting screw needed to be adjusted. Now, it works fine.

Thank you very much...

Some followup questions....

1) There is something called the "Fuel Shut-off valve. Obviously, needs to be "on" when machine is
running. Should I keep it "off" when machine is not in use?

2) It seems that I can never keep choke off, or even at 1/2 choke to keep running. If this is not
okay, what should I adjust...

Here are terms that I have in my booklet. Maybe you could use these terms, if necessary...

- Power adjusting screw.
- Idle Mixtture screw
- Idle speed screw.
- Full choke, half choke & choke off
- Primer button.
- Full throttle

Thank you for your help and patience....

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP
Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

NOTE: My web home page:
www.seldin.net

m Ransley

It isnt getting enough gas, it could be an air leak on the carb
manifold, mixture is set to lean, a sticking float or dirty jet, and you
have a crummy mechanic.

David Efflandt

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005, Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC
wrote:
Sounds like it is too lean and you need to learn how to adjust the carb.
If you do not have the manual, download any manuals you can find from
Toro. They have a manual for mine from 1979, so they should have one for
yours.

David,

The power adjusting screw needed to be adjusted. Now, it works fine.

Thank you very much...

Some followup questions....

1) There is something called the "Fuel Shut-off valve. Obviously, needs to be "on" when machine is
running. Should I keep it "off" when machine is not in use?

Usually best to turn fuel off and let it run until it quits (once adjusted
to keep running normally). That minimizes amount of fuel remaining in
carb. (and deposits that can plug ports and make float sticky).

2) It seems that I can never keep choke off, or even at 1/2 choke to keep running. If this is not
okay, what should I adjust...

You may need to adjust higher idle speed and/or idle mixture to get it to
idle without stalling. For higher speed under a load (when blowing snow)
adjust power adjusting screw (see below).

Here are terms that I have in my booklet. Maybe you could use these terms, if necessary...

- Power adjusting screw.

Probably high speed fuel mixture for full throttle when warm with wide
open choke. Adjust to fastest, smoothest speed with no load, then
slightly richer (counterclockwise), so it does not bog too much or stall
when blowing snow.

- Idle Mixtture screw

Fuel mixture at idle, clockwise leaner, counterclockwise richer.

- Idle speed screw.

Throttle stop for lowest speed that keeps it running. Clockwise likely
increases idle speed.

- Full choke, half choke & choke off

Full choke should not be needed for more than a few seconds.
Half choke up to few minutes, long enough to not stall when opened wide.

- Primer button.

Fills fuel line and squirts extra fuel for cold starting.
Label on the blower should tell how many times to pump it.

- Full throttle

Mine has no throttle. You can apparently adjust yours.
Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

David,

Your advice was right on the money.

Having paid someone else to maintain the snow thrower, is frustrating, when I end up having to fix
it myself.

Much appreciated for your knowledgeable comments.

- Larry

wrote:
[...]

GFCI + Snow = Problem Chris Cooper Electronics 4 January 4th 04 09:27 AM
problem seamus Electronics Repair 1 July 25th 03 02:50 AM
Sears air compressor starting problem Jim Stuyck Metalworking 9 July 14th 03 01:03 PM
Sears air compressor starting problem Barry Criner Woodworking 0 July 13th 03 09:39 PM