balboni

Default TV antenna in Chicago

I live on the north side of Chicago and want to put an outdoor TV
antenna on my roof. In Chicago, most of the TV signals come from one
of two buildings downtown, the John Hancock Center and the Sears Tower.
I am between 6 and 7 miles from each of these buildings. The Sears
Tower lies 30 degrees east of directly south of me (or at 150 degrees
on a compass) and the John Hancock Center lies approximately 42 degrees
east of directly south of me (or 138 degrees on a compass). Radio
Shack offers two antennas that I'm considering:

1.80" boom length,
32 element antenna
90 mile VHF range
70 mile UHF range
HDTV compatible
$60

2.50" boom length
18 element antenna
75 mile VHF range
50 mile UHF range
does not mention HDTV compatibility
$40

I have a clear view of both buildings. From what I understand, the
longer the range of an antenna, the narrower the angle of reception. I
would go for number 1 above because of the HDTV compatibility (don't
have a TV set yet, but plan to buy one in the future), but I don't know
if it would be hard to pick up the transmissions from both buildings.
I don't really want to get a rotator, because (I hate to admit it) I
switch channels quite often and I don't know if a rotator is ideal for
someone like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either one of the antennae?

Thanks.

Travis Jordan

balboni wrote:
I have a clear view of both buildings. From what I understand, the
longer the range of an antenna, the narrower the angle of reception.
I would go for number 1 above because of the HDTV compatibility (don't
have a TV set yet, but plan to buy one in the future), but I don't
know if it would be hard to pick up the transmissions from both
buildings. I don't really want to get a rotator, because (I hate to
admit it) I switch channels quite often and I don't know if a rotator
is ideal for someone like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for either one of the antennae?

You are very close to the TV transmitters, and you don't need much of an
antenna. The smaller antenna will do fine, will have the added benefit
of a wider beamwidth (you already know the advantage there) and will
work OK for HDTV. In general, there are no 'special' antennas for HDTV.
What you see on the box is marketing hype.

When you get it, enjoy your HD viewing!

Matt

North side of Chicago?

Shouldn't you be buying guns, or maybe an updated security system vs.
fooling around with an antenna?

William W. Plummer

Travis Jordan wrote:
balboni wrote:

[...]

Right. Have you tried a simple dipole made from TV lead-in wire?
Alan

"balboni" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You are so close that you will have a hard time NOT picking up anything. All
you need is an indoor antenna. Or, they have this new-fangled service called
"cable tv".

Check out www.antennaweb.org site. They have a utility where you can
put in your zipcode and it will show you what type of antenna is
recommended.

David Efflandt

On 25 Feb 2005 13:38:58 -0800, balboni wrote:
I live on the north side of Chicago and want to put an outdoor TV
antenna on my roof. In Chicago, most of the TV signals come from one
of two buildings downtown, the John Hancock Center and the Sears Tower.
I am between 6 and 7 miles from each of these buildings. The Sears
Tower lies 30 degrees east of directly south of me (or at 150 degrees
on a compass) and the John Hancock Center lies approximately 42 degrees
east of directly south of me (or 138 degrees on a compass)...

Where I grew up in Milwaukee about 7 miles from the transmitters we used
rabbit ears in the attic. Not sure if you are in a home or a solid
building that may block signals, but you might try an indoor antenna in a
window or omni-directional antenna first.

I get all the Chicago NTSC and digital channels (except CBS NTSC 2,
digital 3) from Elgin (37 miles) with Zenith Silver Sensor indoor antenna
(boosted by pre-amp) on 2nd floor closet shelf.
James

Two Questions related to this post:

I live about 8 miles from most of my major tv station antennas.
But, one favorite uhf station is 25 miles away. Luckily, they are all
within 20 degrees of each other.

Questions:

1. Because I need some good gain for the uhf station 25 miles away,
should I not use a mast mounted pre-amp? I know that I can get good
reception from the stations only 8 miles away with a modest antenna, but
the uhf station 25 miles away is one of my major channels that I listen to.

2. I have a brick chimney that is 20 feet away from where I can mount my
antenna. Will the brick structure attenuate my signals??

------------------

Thanks for any advice !!

--James--

Tony Hwang

Travis Jordan wrote:
balboni wrote:

[...]

Hi,
For that distance with clear LOS, even an indoor rabbit ears will do.
Tony
SJF

"James" wrote in message

Two Questions related to this post:

I live about 8 miles from most of my major tv station antennas.
But, one favorite uhf station is 25 miles away. Luckily, they are all
within 20 degrees of each other.

Questions:

1. Because I need some good gain for the uhf station 25 miles away,
should I not use a mast mounted pre-amp? I know that I can get good
reception from the stations only 8 miles away with a modest antenna, but
the uhf station 25 miles away is one of my major channels that I listen

to.

2. I have a brick chimney that is 20 feet away from where I can mount my
antenna. Will the brick structure attenuate my signals??

------------------

Thanks for any advice !!

--James--

Try it first without the preamp. While a preamp may help the more distant
station, it may overload and degrade the picture from the nearer stations
which will have a much higher signal strength. --- SJF

Ross Mac

"SJF" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message

[...]

An amp with an adjustable output is helpful too. This way if you get
ghosting on the nearer channels you can turn it down......Ross

James

Thanks for these nice responses. I will read other replies as

thanks again..........

--James--

Tony Hwang

SJF wrote:
"James" wrote in message

[...]

Also amp boosts signal as well as noise.
Tony