Phisherman

Default Over-the-range microwave recommendations

What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks
Joseph Meehan

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Personally I think I would avoid that idea. To start with it
can't do it any good by placing it in a hot area. The real problem
as I see it has been asked here a number of times. It goes out and
the repair cost is more than the original cost or on occasion it is
not repairable and there is no way to find a replacement that will
fit in the same space.

It seems there was just such a posting just about an hour before you
posted you message.

New Microwave Trim Kit - Old hole too big

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

Phisherman wrote:
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

You may want to check out Consumer Reports magazine.

Personally I think I would avoid that idea. To start with it can't do
it any good by placing it in a hot area. The real problem as I see it has
been asked here a number of times. It goes out and the repair cost is more
than the original cost or on occasion it is not repairable and there is no
way to find a replacement that will fit in the same space.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Personally I think I would avoid that idea. To start with it can't do
it any good by placing it in a hot area. The real problem as I see it has
been asked here a number of times. It goes out and the repair cost is
more than the original cost or on occasion it is not repairable and there
is no way to find a replacement that will fit in the same space.

My opinion is opposite yours. I had my original hanging above the range,
trouble free, for about 15+ years. My new one, a GE, has been in place for
about two years. We upgraded to get a convection oven combo.

It is cheaper to buy a countertop model, but we just don't have the counter
space to allocate to it. It is OTR or nothing. We really like the second
oven and I'd do it again tomorrow.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Tony Hwang

Phisherman wrote:
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

Hi,
I had one installed at my daughter's new condo. Over the range vented
outside unit. going into 3rd year without any problem.
Panasonic unit.
Tony

John Harlow

Phisherman wrote:
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

In my experience, avoid GE. They can't seem to get microwaves right.

chester

John Harlow wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

In my experience, avoid GE. They can't seem to get microwaves right.

well i just bougth a GE Spacemaker, and I like it alot. It has gt sensor
cooking, which actuially seems to work well, and it has a pretty
powerful fan (~300 CFM) BUT I only have had it 3 months. Hopefully it
will last a while.

I needed a fan and a microwave, and didnt want to sacfice the
counterspace, so the $250 was well worth it. As far as the size goes, it
just seems ridiculous that you couldnt find a replacemnet. Mine is an
over-the-stove standard 30" width. That is all there was where I bought it.

OTOH, if you didnt need a fan, you could just go with a shelf cabinet,
and buy a countertop microwave
John Harlow

In my experience, avoid GE. They can't seem to get microwaves right.

well i just bougth a GE Spacemaker, and I like it alot. It has gt
sensor cooking, which actuially seems to work well, and it has a
pretty powerful fan (~300 CFM) BUT I only have had it 3 months. Hopefully
it
will last a while.

Good luck. I just threw my 5 yr old over-the-range GE microwave out; it
would sometimes simply decide not to heat, despite going through the
motions. Looking into it I came across sites like this
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...icrowaves.html

Not long after, the local big box store was having a "scratch and dent"
sidewalk sale; I picked up a Whirlpool for $75 - it's been great so far...

Ross Mac

"Phisherman" wrote in message
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

I have a Maytag over the range with lighting and fans...It seems to be a
pretty nice unit......Ross

Edward Grant

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

You may want to check out Consumer Reports magazine.

Personally I think I would avoid that idea. To start with it can't do
it any good by placing it in a hot area. The real problem as I see it has
been asked here a number of times. It goes out and the repair cost is more
than the original cost or on occasion it is not repairable and there is no
way to find a replacement that will fit in the same space.

Avoid Maytag or anything connected with them.

chester

Yeah that looked disturbing. I guess I'll just wait and see.

On the other hand, in looking a bit more, I found a complaint page for:

Whirlpool microwaves
Kitchenaid microwaves (range hood)
Maytag Refrigerators
Jennaire appliances

And someone above said avoid anything Maytag.

That doesn't leave a lot of choices...

Sooooooo, the thing is there is always going to be a group of people
getting crappy versions of a product (e.g. a lemon), and not getting the
situation solved to their satisfaction. Although I must admit that there
were quite a few complaints about GE microwaves (many of them were
pretty old (well, mid 90's anyway)). BUT given that there must be
hundreds of thousands of these GE microwaves in operation in this
country alone (maybe in the millions?), I have to think that there are
mostly good ones out there too, or there would really a situation. If
those microwaves were routinely catching fire and burning down houses, I
am guessing we would know about it.

now maybe I am a typical American consumer, but in todays world, I am
not going to be too upset if i spend $200 on a microwave, and it goes
bad after 5 years use. I mean, paying $200 for a producrt that does a
whole lot (mine has a fan) and you use every day for 5 years (pretty
much) is a bargan to me. Maybe microwaves did last 20 years, 20 years
ago, BUT they certainly weren't as complex and feature-filled, and in
today's dollars, they were a WHOLE lot more expensive. I cant think of
much else I use every day for 5 years that would be so cheap (maybe a
tube TV, but those are going by the wayside).

John Harlow wrote:
In my experience, avoid GE. They can't seem to get microwaves right.

well i just bougth a GE Spacemaker, and I like it alot. It has gt
sensor cooking, which actuially seems to work well, and it has a
pretty powerful fan (~300 CFM) BUT I only have had it 3 months. Hopefully
it
will last a while.

Good luck. I just threw my 5 yr old over-the-range GE microwave out; it
would sometimes simply decide not to heat, despite going through the
motions. Looking into it I came across sites like this
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...icrowaves.html

Not long after, the local big box store was having a "scratch and dent"
sidewalk sale; I picked up a Whirlpool for $75 - it's been great so far...

Gary Dyrkacz

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 01:16:38 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

We had one of the original Amana's in 73. The unit was a workhorse.
sure it did not have the power of today's models, but it just kept on
working. When it died we bought another Amana. That was eight years
ago. Completely different story. Last year the interlock switches
began to stick. Strange things began to happen like the light would
not turn off when the klystron stopped, and the fan would turn on when
you opened the door. Admittedly, the klystron was double switch
interlocked so there was no stray microwaves, but I had to replace the
three switches. Shortly thereafter the paint began pealing and the
inside to rus/corrode. We finally dumped it. Upshot is Amana sold out
to someone (could be Maytag or someone else earlier) and the new
corporate owners went cheap and killed the workmanship and name as far
as I am concerned.
Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
John Gilmer

"Phisherman" wrote in message
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

I put one into a rental condo about 5 years ago. No complaints.
Basically, I got the cheapest one Loews had in stock that day.

They replace the range hood. They are designed to be plugged in. The
hood circuit is often on a lighting circuit and the microwave is "supposed"
to have it's own circuit. In a typical installation you put a outlet in
the cabinet over the hood and drill a hold to run the plug through.

Your decision should be based on features (including power and whether it
doubles as a convection over) and electric demand. If you have to use the
power that's already there for the range hood, you want lower nameplate
numbers.

Phisherman

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:21:28 -0500, Edward Grant
wrote:

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

You may want to check out Consumer Reports magazine.

Personally I think I would avoid that idea. To start with it can't do
it any good by placing it in a hot area. The real problem as I see it has
been asked here a number of times. It goes out and the repair cost is more
than the original cost or on occasion it is not repairable and there is no
way to find a replacement that will fit in the same space.

Avoid Maytag or anything connected with them.

Could you provide more detail please? I am leaning toward Amana which
is owned by Maytag.
Andy Asberry

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 01:16:38 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

There is probably not more than a half dozen manufacturers of consumer
microwave ovens. Find out who makes them and who sticks their label on
which one. After that, determine if one manufacturer has a better
track record and buy it from a brand that has good service. Just get
the features and price that suits you.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Personally I think I would avoid that idea. To start with it can't
do
it any good by placing it in a hot area.

It is made to be in a hot area.

The real problem as I see it has
been asked here a number of times. It goes out and the repair cost is
more
than the original cost or on occasion it is not repairable and there is
no
way to find a replacement that will fit in the same space.

All OTR ranges are 30" so that is not a problem.

Avoid Maytag or anything connected with them.

Could you provide more detail please? I am leaning toward Amana which
is owned by Maytag.

I've owned Maytag and Amana appliances and have had good luck with them. My
guess is the poster got a bad one and thus thinks they are all bad. Every
brand has made a lemon.

Ross Mac

wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:09:28 -0500, in alt.home.repair "John Harlow"
wrote:

In my experience, avoid GE. They can't seem to get microwaves right.

well i just bougth a GE Spacemaker, and I like it alot. It has gt
sensor cooking, which actuially seems to work well, and it has a
pretty powerful fan (~300 CFM) BUT I only have had it 3 months.
Hopefully
it
will last a while.

Good luck. I just threw my 5 yr old over-the-range GE microwave out; it
would sometimes simply decide not to heat, despite going through the
motions. Looking into it I came across sites like this
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...icrowaves.html

Not long after, the local big box store was having a "scratch and dent"
sidewalk sale; I picked up a Whirlpool for $75 - it's been great so far...

Hmmmm and I was under the impression that they never break.. My Sharp
Carousel
is from the 70's and is still going strong. It was the first microwave
that my
parents ever bought. Maybe they built them better when they first came
out.

I think you're right. My first microwave was a Litton and it lasted 17 years
of heavy use and cost about $450. Do the math...maybe we are better off
now???
Ross

Dee

I had a G.E. in the early 1980s that was a workhorse. A few years ago I
bought a Sharp Carousel that crapped out after a year or so. *However*!! It
might have been my fault. I was boiling a large pot of potatoes on a back
burner and condensation collected on the bottom of the microwave. The next
time I turned it on I heard a loud POP! Fuse(s) blown. I guess theoretically
that could happen to any brand. However, the Sharp had a couple other
glitches which I found annoying, such as going through (incandescent)
appliance bulbs at the rate of one or two a month and starting automatically
when the door was opened and closed (even after the timer was off). I might
have just gotten a strange one, though. Every other Sharp item I ever owned
was excellent.

Phisherman

The microwave I want to replace (an over-the-range Whirlpool circa
1992) has a heat sensor that automatically turns on the fan when the
cooking gets too hot. I asked a salesman today about the heat
sensors, and he didn't have a clue. Even stated that none of the
microwaves has this feature. (Anyone have info about this?)

I doubt the steam caused any harm to your microwave oven. My
microwave has worked since 1992 and I have not replaced any interior
nor exterior bulbs and I've boiled tons of spaghetti.

So far, I've found a Maytag to have the best construction. I am not
impressed with Amana. The Samsung has the light toward the back of
the unit which is not where I need light most often.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:21:27 GMT, "Dee" wrote:

I had a G.E. in the early 1980s that was a workhorse. A few years ago I
bought a Sharp Carousel that crapped out after a year or so. *However*!! It
might have been my fault. I was boiling a large pot of potatoes on a back
burner and condensation collected on the bottom of the microwave. The next
time I turned it on I heard a loud POP! Fuse(s) blown. I guess theoretically
that could happen to any brand. However, the Sharp had a couple other
glitches which I found annoying, such as going through (incandescent)
appliance bulbs at the rate of one or two a month and starting automatically
when the door was opened and closed (even after the timer was off). I might
have just gotten a strange one, though. Every other Sharp item I ever owned
was excellent.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Phisherman" wrote in message
The microwave I want to replace (an over-the-range Whirlpool circa
1992) has a heat sensor that automatically turns on the fan when the
cooking gets too hot. I asked a salesman today about the heat
sensors, and he didn't have a clue. Even stated that none of the
microwaves has this feature. (Anyone have info about this?)

Salesman is a twit. I think probably most, if not all, have this feature.

From the Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool manual
To protect the microwave oven, the vent fan will automatically

turn on at the HIGH setting if the temperature from the range or

cooktop below gets too hot. It may stay on for up to one hour to

cool the microwave oven. When this occurs, the VENT FAN pads

will not function.

From the Sharp microwave manual"

FAN HI/LO

The fan will automatically start when heat rises from

range surface units or burners. This protects the microwave

oven from excessive temperature rise. The fan

will stay on until the temperature decreases. It cannot

be turned off manually during this time.

For other uses, press FAN HI/LO button one time for

Phisherman

Thanks Edwin. I finding out most of the units are pretty much the
same. Most with rather flimsy locking doors. It's interesting to see
where these microwave ovens are made, Korea, China, etc. Any made in
USA?!?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 02:46:15 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
The microwave I want to replace (an over-the-range Whirlpool circa
1992) has a heat sensor that automatically turns on the fan when the
cooking gets too hot. I asked a salesman today about the heat
sensors, and he didn't have a clue. Even stated that none of the
microwaves has this feature. (Anyone have info about this?)

Salesman is a twit. I think probably most, if not all, have this feature.

From the Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool manual
To protect the microwave oven, the vent fan will automatically

turn on at the HIGH setting if the temperature from the range or

cooktop below gets too hot. It may stay on for up to one hour to

cool the microwave oven. When this occurs, the VENT FAN pads

will not function.

From the Sharp microwave manual"

FAN HI/LO

The fan will automatically start when heat rises from

range surface units or burners. This protects the microwave

oven from excessive temperature rise. The fan

will stay on until the temperature decreases. It cannot

be turned off manually during this time.

For other uses, press FAN HI/LO button one time for

jtpryan

I bought a stainless steel eWave at HD about 2 years ago. It was half
the price ($169) of anything even close. I figured, what the hell, for
that kind of money I'll take a chance. Also both sales people I asked
at different times said they have never had one come back. Anyway,
been 2 years so far and it has worked flawlessly. Very easy to use,
and all the buttons do exactly what they say. By that I mean if I
punch in defroast 2 pounds of meat, it does it. If I say cook 16oz of
frozen veggies, they come out exactly right.

I have to recommend them. you really can't go wrong for the money.

-Jim

chester

I think you're right. My first microwave was a Litton and it lasted 17 years
of heavy use and cost about $450. Do the math...maybe we are better off
now???
Ross

Yeah, $450 -now- is a lot (for me) to spend on a microwave. Back then,
that is like spending, well, a lot more (i have no idea about the dollar
relation). I had a sharp carosel I left at my last work place. I assume
it is still working. From ~1984. One dial.

Ross Mac

"chester" wrote in message

I think you're right. My first microwave was a Litton and it lasted 17
years of heavy use and cost about $450. Do the math...maybe we are better
off now???
Ross

Yeah, $450 -now- is a lot (for me) to spend on a microwave. Back then,
that is like spending, well, a lot more (i have no idea about the dollar
relation). I had a sharp carosel I left at my last work place. I assume it
is still working. From ~1984. One dial.

Well Chester, that was the 70's when microwaves were new on the scene....now
they are much cheaper and in some cases better designed and nuke the food
faster.....have a great one, Ross

Brian O

We bought a Sears MW back in the 70s. Its still working.

wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:35:09 -0500, in alt.home.repair "Ross Mac"
wrote:

"chester" wrote in message

I think you're right. My first microwave was a Litton and it lasted 17
years of heavy use and cost about $450. Do the math...maybe we are

better
off now???
Ross
Yeah, $450 -now- is a lot (for me) to spend on a microwave. Back then,
that is like spending, well, a lot more (i have no idea about the

dollar
relation). I had a sharp carosel I left at my last work place. I assume

it
is still working. From ~1984. One dial.

Well Chester, that was the 70's when microwaves were new on the

scene....now
they are much cheaper and in some cases better designed and nuke the food
faster.....have a great one, Ross

My 1976 Share Carousel is still going strong and better yet it's color has
(almost) come back into style again.