Over-the-range microwave recommendations

Old February 25th 05, 01:16 AM
Phisherman

Default Over-the-range microwave recommendations

What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks
Old February 25th 05, 01:26 AM
Joseph Meehan

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Personally I think I would avoid that idea. To start with it
can't do it any good by placing it in a hot area. The real problem
as I see it has been asked here a number of times. It goes out and
the repair cost is more than the original cost or on occasion it is
not repairable and there is no way to find a replacement that will
fit in the same space.

It seems there was just such a posting just about an hour before you
posted you message.

New Microwave Trim Kit - Old hole too big

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old February 25th 05, 01:29 AM
Joseph Meehan

Phisherman wrote:
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

You may want to check out Consumer Reports magazine.

Old February 25th 05, 01:54 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Personally I think I would avoid that idea. To start with it can't do
it any good by placing it in a hot area. The real problem as I see it has
been asked here a number of times. It goes out and the repair cost is
more than the original cost or on occasion it is not repairable and there
is no way to find a replacement that will fit in the same space.

My opinion is opposite yours. I had my original hanging above the range,
trouble free, for about 15+ years. My new one, a GE, has been in place for
about two years. We upgraded to get a convection oven combo.

It is cheaper to buy a countertop model, but we just don't have the counter
space to allocate to it. It is OTR or nothing. We really like the second
oven and I'd do it again tomorrow.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Old February 25th 05, 02:01 AM
Tony Hwang

Phisherman wrote:
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

Hi,
I had one installed at my daughter's new condo. Over the range vented
outside unit. going into 3rd year without any problem.
Panasonic unit.
Tony
Old February 25th 05, 02:51 AM
John Harlow

Phisherman wrote:
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

In my experience, avoid GE. They can't seem to get microwaves right.

Old February 25th 05, 03:47 AM
chester

John Harlow wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

In my experience, avoid GE. They can't seem to get microwaves right.

well i just bougth a GE Spacemaker, and I like it alot. It has gt sensor
cooking, which actuially seems to work well, and it has a pretty
powerful fan (~300 CFM) BUT I only have had it 3 months. Hopefully it
will last a while.

I needed a fan and a microwave, and didnt want to sacfice the
counterspace, so the $250 was well worth it. As far as the size goes, it
just seems ridiculous that you couldnt find a replacemnet. Mine is an
over-the-stove standard 30" width. That is all there was where I bought it.

OTOH, if you didnt need a fan, you could just go with a shelf cabinet,
and buy a countertop microwave
Old February 25th 05, 04:09 AM
John Harlow

In my experience, avoid GE. They can't seem to get microwaves right.

well i just bougth a GE Spacemaker, and I like it alot. It has gt
sensor cooking, which actuially seems to work well, and it has a
pretty powerful fan (~300 CFM) BUT I only have had it 3 months. Hopefully
it
will last a while.

Good luck. I just threw my 5 yr old over-the-range GE microwave out; it
would sometimes simply decide not to heat, despite going through the
motions. Looking into it I came across sites like this
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...icrowaves.html

Not long after, the local big box store was having a "scratch and dent"
sidewalk sale; I picked up a Whirlpool for $75 - it's been great so far...

Old February 25th 05, 11:40 AM
Ross Mac

"Phisherman" wrote in message
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

I have a Maytag over the range with lighting and fans...It seems to be a
pretty nice unit......Ross

Old February 25th 05, 01:21 PM
Edward Grant

"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
What microwave brands are considered good quality with good repair
records? Apparently Maytag bought Amana, and I know Amana used to be
very good. I'm looking for high quality, with fan/vent through the
wall, non-convection, and very basic without a lot of confusing menus
and controls. Thanks

You may want to check out Consumer Reports magazine.

Personally I think I would avoid that idea. To start with it can't do
it any good by placing it in a hot area. The real problem as I see it has
been asked here a number of times. It goes out and the repair cost is more
than the original cost or on occasion it is not repairable and there is no
way to find a replacement that will fit in the same space.

Avoid Maytag or anything connected with them.