Robert11

Default New Deck Sealer Over Thompsons Wax Based Sealer: O.K. To Do ?

Hello:

Have a deck that was coated with Thompsons Water seal about 5 years ago by
previous owner.

Would like to re-coat, but with a "better" sealer; perhaps one of the ones
that Olympic offers.

Not sure which is the best; any opinions on ?

Anyway, I understand that Thompson's is basically a wax based sealer.

Therefore, my question is: can I use one of the other sealers available now
over this successfully,
or would the wax content of Thompsons probably prevent absorption of the
new, presumably non wax based,
sealer ?

Thanks,
Bob

Mikepier

After 5 years , I assume the sealer has pretty much worn off. You
should be ok as long as you power wash it.

The Real Tom

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:12:48 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Have a deck that was coated with Thompsons Water seal about 5 years ago by
previous owner.

Would like to re-coat, but with a "better" sealer; perhaps one of the ones
that Olympic offers.

Not sure which is the best; any opinions on ?

Anyway, I understand that Thompson's is basically a wax based sealer.

Therefore, my question is: can I use one of the other sealers available now
over this successfully,
or would the wax content of Thompsons probably prevent absorption of the
new, presumably non wax based,
sealer ?

Thanks,
Bob

when I used thompson's, it seemed like I hardly got a year out of it.
(but then I think they do say to recoat each year). So, if you
properly clean it, and do the "water absorption" test, you shouldn't
have any problems recoating it.

My deck passed the water absorption test before I cleaned it, that's
why I figured the seal failed after 1 year.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

curmudgeon

Even the best "sealers" will not last over 18 months. And they all work
pretty much the same way. If you don't want to be doing this every year or
2 at the most, stain...not seal.