Squanklin

Default Ridge Vent Installation Question (existing structure)

I have some guys adding a ridge vent to my house (not new
construction).

Of course, they stripped off the old shingles at the ridge and cut
through the wood to make the vent. When they added the ridge vent
system, I don't think there were shingles covering all the wood
underneath the vent - you know, all the way up the roof to the vent
hole. There was some exposed wood underneath the new ridge vent - not
much, mind you; but the pictures of ridge vents that I've seen show
shingles all the way to the hole.

Is it common practice when installing a vent to leave some exposed
wood, or should these guys replace the shingles up to the vent hole
before covering with the vent hood?

Thanks for your help!
squanklin at yahoo dot com

John_B

Squanklin wrote:

I have some guys adding a ridge vent to my house (not new
construction).

Of course, they stripped off the old shingles at the ridge and cut
through the wood to make the vent. When they added the ridge vent
system, I don't think there were shingles covering all the wood
underneath the vent - you know, all the way up the roof to the vent
hole. There was some exposed wood underneath the new ridge vent - not
much, mind you; but the pictures of ridge vents that I've seen show
shingles all the way to the hole.

Is it common practice when installing a vent to leave some exposed
wood, or should these guys replace the shingles up to the vent hole
before covering with the vent hood?

Thanks for your help!
squanklin at yahoo dot com

I had my ridge vent installed in connection with a tear off and
re shingle so I did not have the problem you seem to see.
m Ransley

Bare wood , so water will go in the attic and under the lower shingles,
Right.

Phisherman

Doesn't sound right. I can not see bare wood near my ridge vent. Why
not call the installer and ask?

On 18 Feb 2005 05:12:39 -0800, "Squanklin"
wrote:

I have some guys adding a ridge vent to my house (not new
construction).

Of course, they stripped off the old shingles at the ridge and cut
through the wood to make the vent. When they added the ridge vent
system, I don't think there were shingles covering all the wood
underneath the vent - you know, all the way up the roof to the vent
hole. There was some exposed wood underneath the new ridge vent - not
much, mind you; but the pictures of ridge vents that I've seen show
shingles all the way to the hole.

Is it common practice when installing a vent to leave some exposed
wood, or should these guys replace the shingles up to the vent hole
before covering with the vent hood?

Thanks for your help!
squanklin at yahoo dot com

Squanklin

Thanks - gonna check on that. There was very little wood showing, and
an architect I know suggested that a minimal amount of wood will be ok,
though not preferred, because it will be covered by the hood.

I'm in the middle of the job now, and I'm going to make sure the rest
of it is done in the "preferred" manner.

Squanklin