TURTLE

Default Camp Painting help Needed !

This is Turtle.

Yes First I should have Googled it but i too Lazy.

I have a camp up on the lake that i'm fixing up to try to use it again. All of
the interoir is in good shape but needs painting , cleaning, and some
sheetrocking work. My Friend and i are going to paint it ourself and i really
need the amount of paint to get first to start out painting the inside and out.
So here is the question i need to know about painting it.

1] 1/2 of the inside walls are Pannling installed in 1948 and there has been
nothing put on the walls since that time and the panneling looks like it has
nothing on it for it has wore off. the Panneling is installed over Solid Cypress
Wood wall. What Kind of Paint do you put on this Panneling to get the paint to
stick to it ? i was told sand it or ruff it up , kile stuff -- it , then paint
it. How do i paint this area ?

2] 1/2 of the other inside walls is solid Cypress Walls. I'm going to paint it
white with paint but I'm going to lay Sheet Rock over the wood walls , first to
level the walls & cover up the cracks that you can see through to the outside
and then paint it white. So 1/2 of the inside walls will be painting sheet rock
from scratch. i have been told primer white and then paint white paint. So how
to paint this ?

3] Painting the outside walls of the Camp. the ouitside walls is Tung and
Grove Cypress boards all around the 4 sides. the camp is off the ground with
concrete & Cynder block supports about 6 feet , due to high water at times in
the Swamp lake it is on. i'm going to water blast the outside walls with 3,200
psi sprayer at a 5 gallon per minute rate and let dry and paint. The water
blaster will take all the paint off the cypress boards and will be startinmg
from scratch to paint the cypress boards. i was told prime it and paint it. How
do i paint this thing as type paint , primer, and number of coats as need be ?

Details of the camp. inside heating and cooling space 1,320 sq. ft. of floor
area or interoir 44 feet X 30 feet. The camp is broke up in 1 bed room area ,
Bath Room, and main area. The wood Floor area and wood ceiling area put together
get it to 2,640 sf. feet of paintiable area. The 4 walls if the inside of the
camp is 1,184 sq. ft. of area space. The interior walls to be painted and adding
both sides is 320 sq. ft. of area or paintiable area. Now outside walls to be
painted is 1,235 sq. ft. of paintiable area.

So the Outside paintiable area is wood with no paint on the cypress tung and
grove wall and paintiable area of 1,235 sq. ft. and the interior is about 4,144
sq. ft. of paintiable area.

I'm going to buy the paint in 5 gallon buckets or 1 gallon if need be and
everything is going to be white and the name of the camp is going to be called
Turtle's White House or just White house [ it use to be painted Red / White /
Blue ] and will roll on all the paint but do the trim with a brush. The people
painting will surely not know what they are doing for here is their jobs in life
and nothing to do with painting. School maintainance Superentendet , City Chief
of Police, HVAC contractor, Pulp Wood cutter, a Grave Digger, and one
unemployeed brother in law who would come work for 2 case of Bud & a carton of
Cigerettes.

Read # 1 #2 #3 and advise way and how much paint needed. OR just advise on how
and give me a ruff ideal of sq. ft. per gallon of paint by rolling it and i will
figure it. The reason for needing to know how much paint is it's 40 miles round
trip to any supply stores to get anything we need.

You can E-Mail or Post here !

TURTLE

fsteddie

TURTLE wrote:
[...]

I'd tell you how,,but Im too lazy

SQLit

"TURTLE" wrote in message
[...]

I would get out my airless, an older Campbell hausfield. I would figure on
the primer coat no more than 250 sq feet per gallon. After that may be 300
sq ft per gallon.

If your planning on using rollers, then maybe a little less per square foot.
Problem would be with a roller is the Cyprus. It could be a bear to get it
to cover. Airless would be what I would use. To bad I am so far away, I
would blow the interior and exterior for some bbq and beer.

TURTLE

"SQLit" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message
[...]

The Figures of the square foot age verses the gallon of paint was what i needed.
Thank you there.

************************************************** ************************If i'm
going to paint over this old panneling -- Do you use something like a Kile
Primer stuff or what ? OR Can you just prime it and paint it ?

Now the bunch is coming up there will get all the Cokes & beer they can drink
and we are going to BBQ a bunch Chicken, Sausage, Pork ButterFly Loin , and 2
Rabbits. Also Bake Bean, Potato Salad, French Bread, and Fried Okra .

We have one fellow with a Spray gun but we was going to keep his ass outside for
we painted another friends camp and him a using that spray gun inside and he
like to have kill us all with the paint vapors in the air for he would stand
back 10 feet from the wall and shoot it. We had to make him go outside to paint
before he kill us all.

Thank you here !

TURTLE

m Ransley

Giving exact correct info is kinda like asking you what furnace and
ducting is needed without you seeing it on a old leaky house. Photos
would help alot. But few ideas and concerns are , you need to find out
if oil or wax was used on the paneling . If it is not clean your paint
may fail as nothing bonds to wax or oils. Wash an area of the paneling,
then take alcohol and see if wax residue comes off on a clean white rag.
For the paneling you may need something made to bond to poor surfaces
and gloss, a primer for your job not regular primer.

Id look for dark spots-areas near the bottom and the North exerior
walls, Spill some bleach on it, if it comes alot cleaner in 10 minutes
you have mold. No paint should be put on over mold as the paint wont
last. Mold is a plant. If you have mold which is likely if you are in
shade-humid-on the swamp get a garden sprayer and allot of bleach. Spray
the bleach before you power wash, letting it sit 30 minutes or so. You
can dilute it 50% but diluting it to much and it wont work well.

Cyprus wood? I don`t know cyprus wood but if it is an oily wood like
cedar you need oil primer or stain hiding or oil blead through will
happen. Coverage , again , can`t see it. is it porrus , dry, cracked?
Does water soak right in? Paint cans or product spec sheets have
coverage amounts, they are usualy a bit too optimistic. On old dry
cedar I can get real poor coverage maybe 100sq ft gal. Yes spraying is
best quickest. But you can waste paint if not careful . For the exterior
Consider oil stain, it wont peel , you can usualy spray 2 coats in a day
and don`t need a separate primer. New drywall you use cheap latex
primer, but the paneling may need something special, again can`t see it
to know what is on it now. A local paint store and or Sherwin Williams
will know your wood the best as I`ve never even seen Cyprus . They have
many grades of primer and finish products, they will help you pick the
best for your place. Don`t put product on hot surfaces or in the sun,
quick curing is usualy bad.

SQLit

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

very good suggestions.

m Ransley

SQ would do it for Bbq and beer, Me to, its 18 outside today, I could
use a vacation. Id bring my Titan airless and excessories . But You
would have to get me some home made shine to take home and fire up the
Smoker and throw in some fresh gulf shrimp. I will pay for the Jumbo
shrimp, cooked up a hot Cajun style would be just fine. As long as I see
Gerimiah the Bullfrog its a deal. Too cold here for a long, long,
while.

Not knowing how you want the finish to look. White Latex stain on
bare wood could come out real nice "actualy beige" with wood oils and
look antiqued-worn, Its also easier on a hangover than pure white.
Stains don`t peel, but require more often recoats as they "wear" away ,
but the non peeling is a big consideration in hard environments. But
Cyprus has its considerations . Talk to a local paint store pro, not HD.

Andy Hill

"TURTLE" wrote:
2] 1/2 of the other inside walls is solid Cypress Walls. I'm going to paint it
white with paint but I'm going to lay Sheet Rock over the wood walls , first to
level the walls & cover up the cracks that you can see through to the outside
and then paint it white. So 1/2 of the inside walls will be painting sheet rock
from scratch. i have been told primer white and then paint white paint. So how
to paint this ?

Cracks where you can see through to the outside? Hope you're planning on doing
one heck of a good caulking job on the outside before you paint...drywall
doesn't like wet. Even with the caulking, I'd probably lean towards greenboard
or skim-coated concrete board -- caulking has a habit of failing, and a camp
isn't something you can keep an eye on every day. Heck, I'd be real leery
about painting at all -- the walls don't sound all that moisture proof, and I
think you'll be looking at bubbled paint in short order on the non-drywalled
sections, and mold / mildew behind the drywall to boot.
TURTLE

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

The Painters around here have told me that it suck up paint like water if it is
dry cypress. What or how does this mean anything ?

You said something that we might change thing to is some BBQ shrimp and you can
get them down here bigger sizes like 8 to 12 shrimp to the pound to BBQ with.
there is a fellow who goes every 2 day to Cameron, La. to meet the shrimp boat
and gets fresh shrimp to sell in town. the Boats run from Monday to wed. to
friday. the boat come in to dump their catch from the 2 day run at the Wholesale
buyers house. they give the boats $.75 a pound for the 32 to 60 count --- $1.25
a pound for small 20 to 30 count --- $2.00 a pound for the 14 to 18 count ---
$3.00 a pound for the 8 to 12 count. The Boat operator will sell to you off the
boat at these prices for the Wholesale house will give them the same. they like
to sell to people because you pay cash and no record of the sale. The Boat owner
/ Skipper / Crew get each a share of this cash. these Boat can have 2,000 to
5,000 pounds of shrimp on the boat and can sell 2,000 pounds before they get to
the Shrimp wholesale house to unload. These prices are right now but during the
hot summer time these price could be cut by 30% if they are having a good year.
Also they tell me that 70% of the shrimp leave the state to go up north where
they pay big money to get these shrimp.

I think I may have to get Cardel to get me 5 pounds of the 8 to 12 shrimp to put
on the BBQ pit too. He buys them at $3.00 and sells them for $4.00 a pound.

TURTLE

TURTLE

"m Ransley" wrote in message
[...]

I got some good stuff from your post but a few things have changed. We will not
be painting any of the crpress inside for all the cypress walls will be sheet
rocked up and mudded up. Also the holes where you can see the outside is hair
line cracks and i don't think rain will get to the sheet rock walls. The other
1/2 of the inside will be the Old panneling that will be painted over is dry as
a bone and has not seen paint or oil paint in 50 years. The Original stain on
the panneling is gone and no shine or color left at all. We was going to sand it
a little to make the primer stick and paint over it. now to the look of the
paint on it. well It's a cook up place or the Old Boys Club house and if the
paint peals in some places. well we can scrap it a little and put more paint on
it. Also two of the hands are going up there early in the morning to wash the
inside down with a 3,200 psi wash down gun. We have it gutted now and the
Cypress floor leak the water out as fast as you shoot the gun. So all the mold ,
oil , paint , or anything else will be washed off the walls and floor before we
sheet rock and paint anything. If you have cypress walls , floor, and beams
under it. Water don't hurt anything and you can bring in a water hose to just
clean up. now after the sheet rock is put in this story will change. everything
is going to be spotless before we start. and Yes this camp has NO insulation at
all and has 2 -- 2 ton window units and a Pot Belly wood Stove for heat.

Now the outside walls are cypress and the paint we used on it 25 years ago is
all but gone. Now it did stay on there good for 15 years or so before it started
pealing off. i talk to the fellow at the hardware store where we get the paint
and he said the cypress will suck up the paint and if you keep rolling the paint
on it. it will just take all the paint you have till you paint it one time and
let it dry and then it will stop sucking up the paint when you paint it again.
if you don't paint one coat and let it dry first. the paint your painting with
will never get a good coat because of it will keep taking paint till you stop up
the pores of the wood and then it will stop taking the paint. We have not bought
the paint yet and we might look at the oil stain paint for because of the
cypress being a paint sucker upper. i remember painting a placve in the front
area about 6 or 8 times tring to get a red coat to cover it. it just kept
sucking it up.

Tomorrow we are going out there to cut brush & wash it down inside and out and
get everything ready to paint and also hang the sheet rock. I will have a better
assistment tomorrow after we tear it apart .

TURTLE

TURTLE

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
"TURTLE" wrote:
[...]

We will never get this place perfect for we are not worried about mold or mildew
or paint pealing for we are just tring to keep the snakes , wood rats, and coons
out of the walls if we can. if the mold of stuff like that gets bad we will just
spray it down with bleach and kill it off and then repaint it. Bleach , a 22
rifle, rat poisin , and new paint is the cure all. The other day we put 5 boxes
of moth ball in the cracks of the wall to run the Snakes & animal out before we
close it up.

Now Tomorrow nite i will reread all this to get a ideal of the route to take.

TURTLE

Jedd Haas

In article , "TURTLE"
wrote:

[...]

Is the outside cupress "silvered" and crackly-looking? If so, it has
probably lost all the natural oil. If you can, try sanding it a bit and
see if the color changes. (That may be more work than you want to do. Here
in New Orleans they sand the whole house with circular sanders first.)
Then prime it with an oil primer. The paint store guy was right. You may
have to give it a few coats of exterior oil primer, let it get nice and
dry. After the first coat, you might want to caulk all the exterior cracks
as well. Of course, before you start, you may want to bang all the nails
(or put in new nails as needed) to get all the boards tight. If some of
the cypress boards are in real bad shape, replace them. You probably have
a local hardwood dealer that will be selling it around 50 cents a foot or
less; maybe 25 cents a foot for the #2 stuff. If you do that pressure
washing you mentioned in your first coat, you will need to wait for a few
warm days to dry it out. If there's still moisture in the back of the wood
(but with the surface looking dry) that will bite you and the paint will
peel.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
TURTLE

"Jedd Haas" wrote in message
In article , "TURTLE"
wrote:

[...]

this camp as I say was a House at one time back in the 1940's and the cypress
trees was pulled up from the bottom of the swamp lake that was cut down on the
lake back in the 1880's. there was a Steam powered 300 foot flate Deck boat that
was cutting trees and hauling them to the bank to be haul to the saw mills for
pressing and the Flate boat sunk with a full load of trees on it. there was
close to 300 trees on it and cypress never water rots. The trees sit there till
the 1940's and they started cutting the trees again for making Navy boats during
WW l l war and the trees at the bottom of the lake was pull up also. You could
not buy the new cypress they would cut but the trees at the bottom of the lake
they would sell to the public. The fellow who built the house paid $155.00 for
all the wood in cypress to build his house and it was called bottom wood. This
cypress that has been at the bottom of the lake for 60 years has lost all of
it's oil or what every and then was nailed up and dried for another 50 years as
a house and surely lost all the oil. it was painted 1 time with water base paint
when i bought it and that is it for paint. So there has been nothing in the line
of oil on this wood.

TURTLE

m Ransley

From what you say it sounds like the wood is dry, like a sponge. You
could go out there and put 500$ worth of primer on or get someone who
knows and Seal it 1st coat for 100 in primer. You have a house that
could suck you and paint dry unless you use a guy that knows old
Cypress.

Are interior studs 16" or 24" on center 24 and you need 5/8 minimum
Money pit.